Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 5th 2013 new
(Quote) John-336509 said: *cough* Eastern Orthodox *cough*
(Quote) John-336509 said:

*cough* Eastern Orthodox *cough*

--hide--

A serious Eastern Orthodox woman won't date a Catholic guy unless he converts to Orthodoxy because her church won't recognize the marriage if it takes place in a Catholic Church.

Of course it depends on the local Orthodox bishop, but in most cases they won't let their priests marry an Orthodox and a non-Orthodox unless the latter agrees to convert.

In the case of a mixed marriage, the Orthodox require the non-Orthodox partner to agree to raise their children in the Orthodox faith.
Jan 5th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: A serious Eastern Orthodox woman won't date a Catholic guy unless he converts to Orthodoxy be...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

A serious Eastern Orthodox woman won't date a Catholic guy unless he converts to Orthodoxy because her church won't recognize the marriage if it takes place in a Catholic Church.

Of course it depends on the local Orthodox bishop, but in most cases they won't let their priests marry an Orthodox and a non-Orthodox unless the latter agrees to convert.

In the case of a mixed marriage, the Orthodox require the non-Orthodox partner to agree to raise their children in the Orthodox faith.
--hide--

All true. I was just pointing out that the Catholic Church is not, in fact, the only Church with apostolic succession.

Jan 5th 2013 new

Cathy - As an RCIA teacher for the past ten years I so thankful to hear your positive comments about converts to the Catholic faith. They are some of "the best" because they come to our church really wanting the faith and spend a lot of time and effort to come to the sacraments!

Jan 6th 2013 new

Michael: Mike in Canada is giving you great information to defend your faith. There are also many, many great booklets on Apologetics (defending the Catholic Faith). An excellent video is called "The Truth Exposed" it is wonderful, with Scott Hahn. Also, if you have not seen it, there is a newer Catholic bible out there - great for everyone. (The New Catholic Answer Bible) NAB - it will help you to respond better to others when they ask about the Catholic Church and it's teachings. You can get it C. bookstores or Our Sunday Visitor catalog. In between the scripture pages they have bible inserts with explanations for about 100 questions you might have, and at the bottom of the page related scripture passages and CCC references for that subject. It's about a $30 bible and well worth it. It's the one I use for my RCIA people. By the way, if you didn't already know Scott Hahn walked away from the church and after still missing something in his life, finally returned. Can't recommend "The Truth Exposed" enough!!! God's Blessings Michael

Jan 6th 2013 new

May God bless us, His children, as we seek His will in this conversation.

Christine, I've dated more Protestant and agnostic women than Catholic women. My litmus test is how a woman addresses my faith. In some cases, I've dated a woman who has discouraged me from attending Mass or practicing my faith; and that had led to the end of the relationship. In other cases, I've dated a woman who encourages my faith, sometimes agreeing to attend Mass with me (once, in exchange for my attending her services as well).

I've also seen a Catholic couple in my parish who brought out the laziness and religious apathy in one another. Yes, they'd each married a Catholic, but that did their spiritual lives no favors.

There are all sorts of people out in the world. I would invite you to figure out what you want from a partner and select out those men who can't give you that.

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Christine-894237 said: Have you ever dated a Protestant or would you be willing to do so? I have before, ...
(Quote) Christine-894237 said:

Have you ever dated a Protestant or would you be willing to do so?

I have before, but have generally not experienced much openness to the Catholic Church. I am attracted to men of deep faith and am still open to the possibility of dating a Protestant in the future... as long as he is willing to learn about my faith and seek truth with me! However, sometimes my interactions with Protestants leave me tired. I haven't encountered much willingness to dialogue rationally and it's challenging to be constantly on the defensive.

Thoughts?

--hide--

I would date a Protestant, but it would depend on the religion/beliefs. I would also hope that whoever I am with would still respect my Catholic faith. I would not, however, date a Missouri Synod Lutheran. I know from experience they are VERY ANTI- CATHOLIC. I would rather remain single than get involved with someone like that. I have said as much in other forums/threads.

Jan 6th 2013 new

Hi Christine!
Welcome Home!!! I have dated a few protestants but they were fine with my Catholicism. I was younger than. I am now divorced and have dated a few guys (2 of them Jewish!). I love the Jewish faith...now if they could only fall in love with Jesus, how perfect would that be? :) I have come across some very angry ex-Catholics and I feel bad for them. I guess they wouldn't have left the church if they truly knew what Holy Mother Church has for us..the awesome deposit of faith left by Jesus and His Apostles and The Most Blessed Sacrament ...The Eucharist. So, if you don't know what you have .. it's easy to walk away. And if Protestants knew and believed what The Holy Catholic Church has, they'd be beating the doors down. We can only pray that soon they will all come Home. I, too, prefer Catholic men especially now that I KNOW how important faith is in a relationship and how important it is toi be equally yolked.

God Bless you!,
Elizabeth

Jan 6th 2013 new

Hello,

Someone just gave me The truth Exposed and I have yet to watch it. I am a big EWTN fan and love Dr. Scott Hahn. I was bnot aware that he once walked away fron the Catholic church and came back. Is this true?

Thank you & God bless,
Elizabeth

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-726465 said: Hello,Someone just gave me The truth Exposed and I have yet to watch it. I am a big E...
(Quote) Elizabeth-726465 said:

Hello,

Someone just gave me The truth Exposed and I have yet to watch it. I am a big EWTN fan and love Dr. Scott Hahn. I was bnot aware that he once walked away fron the Catholic church and came back. Is this true?

--hide--

Hi Elizabeth,

Dr. Scott Hahn was actually never a Catholic prior to his conversion. He was a Presbyterian minister originally and then converted to Catholicism and is now a theologian, apologist and author. His book "Rome Sweet Home" talks about his conversion experience :)

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-726465 said: Hello,Someone just gave me The truth Exposed and I have yet to watch it. I am a b...
(Quote) Elizabeth-726465 said:

Hello,

Thank you & God bless,
Elizabeth

--hide--

No it is not. He converted to Catholicism and has not looked back. He and his entire family are members of Opus Dei and are active in ministry in the Church.

Posts 71 - 80 of 80