Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: The Pope INVITED the Catholic Charismatic Renewal (along with other movements) to Rome. I have ...
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said:

The Pope INVITED the Catholic Charismatic Renewal (along with other movements) to Rome. I have friends who received invitations from Pope John Paul and were there. He made his remarks in St. Peters square to those he had invited and to the whole Christian community.
--hide--
I'm sure the 'Mother of God' is not typical of Catholic Charismatic communities, but I have some familiarity with it since my son was friends with a boy whose family was a member. We lived a few blocks from their compound- they bought up a cluster of townhomes in Gaithersburg, Maryland. My son was invited to a service by his friend where they practiced the hysterical, incoherent babbling referred to as speaking in tongues. This freaked my son out, and he never went back. I must confess, I was a fallen away Catholic at the time, and my kids received no spiritual guidance- a failure on my part that I will never forgive myself for. This group apparently still exists on some level today but as you will read, their leaders in the mid nineties were removed by Cardinal Hickey because they had descended into what can only be described as a controlling cult, applying the practice of shunning among other disturbing things. As long as one is vigilant and alert to excess, I suppose they can't do much harm.

www.washingtonpost.com

Jan 12th 2013 new

I wouldn't outright condemn it all. To be sure, there are abuses. St. Paul in his letters doesn't try to stifle it, he says it must be done with respect to authority and in an orderly way.

Jan 12th 2013 new
As I have pointed out in another thread, the fact a single Pope may or may not have approved of a singular movement doesnt make it "ok". Popes make mistakes as do all men. Hes not immpecable no one is. My major objections to the charasmatic movement are theological. Not saying some good fruit is there. But good fruit is possible in the protestant sects as well as non christian communities. Some does not make a good thing. For the theological part listen to Fr Ripperger.
Jan 12th 2013 new

When I moved to Steubenville 13 years ago I was soundly warned to stay away from the Charismatics as my "guardians" assumed that they are indeed communing with spirits... but which ones?

Yes... there is a very strong charismatic presence here, but I was surprised to discover inside it a spirit of orthodoxy & reverence. I do not consider my self charismatic per say, but many of my best friends are. They are some of the strongest & most upstanding people I know. They are also very interested in very carefully submitting themselves to the magisterium of the church. I have attended many masses, rosary's & healing services filled with both reverence & joy. I have also personally wittnessed some pretty amazing healings. The Charismatic movement makes God very real & tangible... a very exciting possibility...

When I considered what I found so "scary" about the movement, I began to wonder if there is not something inside of myself, & many others, who fear God & how He may work in our lives... Do we dare to believe that He can reach inside & fill us with such love & joy that it spills over into our human expression? If God is all we say He is then why would we not want to dance before the ark... lifting hands & voise to sing out His goodness & praise? IMHO rose rose rose

Jan 12th 2013 new
(Quote) Debbie-514749 said: When I moved to Steubenville 13 years ago I was soundly warned to stay away from the Charismatics as my "...
(Quote) Debbie-514749 said:

When I moved to Steubenville 13 years ago I was soundly warned to stay away from the Charismatics as my "guardians" assumed that they are indeed communing with spirits... but which ones?

Yes... there is a very strong charismatic presence here, but I was surprised to discover inside it a spirit of orthodoxy & reverence. I do not consider my self charismatic per say, but many of my best friends are. They are some of the strongest & most upstanding people I know. They are also very interested in very carefully submitting themselves to the magisterium of the church. I have attended many masses, rosary's & healing services filled with both reverence & joy. I have also personally wittnessed some pretty amazing healings. The Charismatic movement makes God very real & tangible... a very exciting possibility...

When I considered what I found so "scary" about the movement, I began to wonder if there is not something inside of myself, & many others, who fear God & how He may work in our lives... Do we dare to believe that He can reach inside & fill us with such love & joy that it spills over into our human expression? If God is all we say He is then why would we not want to dance before the ark... lifting hands & voise to sing out His goodness & praise? IMHO

--hide--

I have been to Steubenville, it is very peaceful at the Franciscan University.
Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: I have been to Steubenville, it is very peaceful at the Franciscan University.
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said:

I have been to Steubenville, it is very peaceful at the Franciscan University.
--hide--

That it is! There are also many other expressions of our faith represented here... not just the charismatic. Currently there's a lot of interest in the Tridentine Latin Mass & all the thought that goes with it. Actually, it's kind of a miracle that for the most part, everybody's pretty respectful & gets along... About the only thing you find missing is apathetic.... biggrin

Jan 12th 2013 new

From today's Gospel:

... while Jesus after his baptism was at prayer, heaven opened, and the Holy Spirit descended on him in physical form, like a dove. ...

Luke 3: 21-22

I am so dismayed at the negative comments expressed in this thread by some of the posters, that I decided to break my decision to not post in the forums.

I have had limited, but excellent experiences with the Charismatic movement. In October, 2010, I attended the regional Illinois Charismatic Conference which was amazing and truly one of the most profound experiences of my life ( and that's saying a lot). There were none of the experiences other posters described at this event, other than some speaking in tongues which was done very respectfully and fairly quietly. I then attended a charismatic prayer group led by 2 ladies that have been with the Charismatic Renewal since the beginning. I have never experienced a holier prayer group than this (my attendance was only interrupted because I was quite ill for several months.) The group now has been joined by one of the main deacons from Holy Name Cathedral (so I would guess that he finds it prayerful and orthodox). And, I also attended the Charismatic Mass at Holy Name Cathedral on the feast of Christ the King this year. Everyone was extremely prayerful, respectful, and in proper decorum in the Church (unlike some priests who attended a Mass that preceded the Charismatic Mass. Their Mass was presided over and attended by a religious order of very orthodox priests and their friends and congregation who asked to have this special Mass held at the Cathedral. When the Charismatic Mass was starting, a group of about 5-6 of these priests (in long black cassocks) remained in the Church socializing (about 4 feet from where I sat) loudly talking and laughing even though the Charismatic Mass was starting. They did this for about 7 minutes despite repeated looks from those of us trying to focus in on the Mass. I am not naming this order of priests, but the behavior of these 5-6 priests was shameful and disrespectful to the Charismatic Mass starting. No bad behavior was exhibited by any of the attendees at the Charismatic Mass which was presided over by the priest who is the Liaison to the Archdiocese for the Charismatic Renewal of Chicago and who also presides over his own 2 parishes which are in the process of being consolidated. And, he has been a part of the Charismatic Renewal since it's inception.)

So, all of my experiences with the Charismatic Renewal (2010 - present) have been excellent, and I am a devout, traditional Catholic living my life in obedience to the Magisterium of the Church. I'm sure it is possible that there has been some bad behavior somewhere in the Charismatic services just as I witnessed bad behavior by these very conservative priests . This is because we are all sinners. But, these extremely negative generalizations about Charismatic prayer groups, Masses, conferences, etc. in this forum or any forum is WRONG and unChristian. Our Church is a big one that has room for many diverse ways of praying. It is NOT exclusionary and neither should its members be so judgemental about their fellow Catholics and the Charismatic movement. I would hope that those of you who have made these negative comments would pray to the Holy Spirit for guidance. And, you might seriously want to consider attending a Charismatic prayer group or Mass as it just might bring you closer to God!

Jan 13th 2013 new
Why is it that anytime someone posts an opinion contrary to some, those that hold a contrary position some how are mean nasty people who deserve scorn and should retreat and put on hair shirts?? The OP asked an opinion question. So give your opinion and move on. The fact that some find it great and others question is the point of the original question anyway. I dont feel that I said anything negative nor really did others. The fact some question this movement is certianly within our allowance. Rome has not said to stop analyzing this movement or any other for that matter. The original gifts of the Spirit were for building up the church. My exposure so far to this movement has been one of look at me. This bothers me. Enough said.
Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Joe-660568 said: I never thought about the existence of mini offshoots from within the movement, but I do think that it doe...
(Quote) Joe-660568 said: I never thought about the existence of mini offshoots from within the movement, but I do think that it does have an ecumenical aspect to it... agreed. Maybe it is this movement which will help unify Christianity and bring it into the Catholic Church? I have often read Acts and Corinthians and wondered why those "gifts" and manifestations of the Holy Spirit that the early Christians embodied aren't still predominant within the Church culture. We all know about Pentecost, as it was the birth date of the Catholic Church. It was a miraculous event and Mary was present with Peter, our first Pope. I've heard a nun refer to Mary as a Charismatic. It would make sense as the Holy Spirit is often referred to as her spouse.
--hide--

The Charismatic Movement has been a great gift to the Catholic Church and the Church as a whole. The gifts are real and they can reall help a person grow. That said, there can be some levels of immaturity in some persons in the renewal. If persons have good strong leadership and spiritual direction it can be some thing that can help a person get to know God better.. It is not a black and white issue. It is a good part of the church. We have had other threads on it and having been a Charismatic for many years I feel it is something that has it's purpose. I currently do not participate in those things at this time but for evangelization- it can be a strong movement. It can also be very pawerful for persons who are addicts and who need a strong experience and touch from God. It can help persons to experience inner healing and sometimes physical healing. It can help persons develop reverence for the Eucharist. It is not irreverent to the Eucharist in my experience. It is a worthwhile movement and has it's place.

Immature People tend to abuse things and that is when it becomes too much or goes further than it should. Persons can learn discernment and how to avoid this.

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Joe-660568 said: What is the general attitude of the forum readers here towards the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, which has...
(Quote) Joe-660568 said: What is the general attitude of the forum readers here towards the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, which has been embraced by three popes: Paul VI, John Paul II and our current pope Benedict XVI? There are several books written by church officials on the topic such as "Sober Intoxication of the Spirit: Filled With the Fullness of God" by Father Raniero Cantalamessa and "Healing in the Spirit of Jesus" by Father Peter Sanders. In my parish, anyone referred to as a "charismatic" is overtly ostracized. If the forum attitude is the same, then why the disconnect?
--hide--

If the forum attitudes are "against the Charismatic renewal" It would only be a slight measure of the current forum participants which might not be much of any measure.. They may or may not know about it. I plan to read this thread and see what people are saying...

Posts 21 - 30 of 142