Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Joe-660568 said: I never thought about the existence of mini offshoots from within the movement, but I do think that it doe...
(Quote) Joe-660568 said: I never thought about the existence of mini offshoots from within the movement, but I do think that it does have an ecumenical aspect to it... agreed. Maybe it is this movement which will help unify Christianity and bring it into the Catholic Church? I have often read Acts and Corinthians and wondered why those "gifts" and manifestations of the Holy Spirit that the early Christians embodied aren't still predominant within the Church culture. We all know about Pentecost, as it was the birth date of the Catholic Church. It was a miraculous event and Mary was present with Peter, our first Pope. I've heard a nun refer to Mary as a Charismatic. It would make sense as the Holy Spirit is often referred to as her spouse.
--hide--

I personally believe it could be used to unify the Chruch at some point- yes...

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: Google JP 2 and his message on May 30, 1998. It was an invitation to all to be open to the move...
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said:

Google JP 2 and his message on May 30, 1998. It was an invitation to all to be open to the movement of the Spirit. That being open is called a Baptism in the Spirit. It is not something new, it is an awakening of the gifts of the Spirit conferred on us at Confirmation.

As with anything generated by God, satan does his best to come against it. Unfortunately, there are a few persons who are nuts and have given the movement a bad name. I have been to many charismatic mass's where the reverence for God, adoration of Jesus in the Eucharist and the authority of the Church were embraced and exhibited in a profund way.

Yes, I am a Charismatic and have been since 1997. That encounter with the Living God in a profound, tangible way changed my life forever and I am grateful beyond belief that God reached out to such an undeserving person. I can tell you that up until the moment the Spirit fell, I thought all the people around me were weirdos too. Now I see the Acts of the Apostles come alive right in front of me. Who am I to question what God does with His Spirit?
--hide--

Love this post Joanna! clap clap

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Lucia-866196 said: Joe, I have been part of the charismatic movement since I was a teenager. I see it like this: in...
(Quote) Lucia-866196 said: Joe,

I have been part of the charismatic movement since I was a teenager. I see it like this: in the catholic church we are very wealthy in different ways to express our spirituality. There are Marians, contemplative, blessed heart congregation, cursillistas, etc. The fact that I am a catholic makes me very proud because of our diversity of spiritual expression.

This summer God granted me the gift of traveling to Israel. At the same place where the catholic church was born because the Holy Spirit was sent to the apostle in that upper room. That day we had a second penthecost. There was a group of 50 people from Croetia and we were from the USA (Hispanics). They were singing some charismatic song in their language and we started singing it in Spanish. They were all sitting down and they had to stand up. The presence of the Holy Spirit was so alive, it was amazing. At the end of the song, we all started hugging each other and taking pictures and exchanging information. We have never met before. Only the Holy Spirit, the one who was present when Mary conceived Jesus in her womb, the same one that was present when Jesus was baptized, was there that day in Israel and any other day when a group of people is gathered and asked for His presence, for God's presence. It is the same Holy Spirit that have guided the church for 2,000's of years. It is the same Holy Spirit that will guide the catholic church until the second coming of Jesus.

Jesus was able to heal, cast out demond, etc. He said it himself, in my name, you will be able to do these things and more. People used to get healed when Peter's shadow touched them. It was because Peter had the presence of God in Him. The samething the apostles and Jesus did we are able to do it today. That's why there are healings happening, casting of demonds, cure of addiction, cure of depression, etc. in these charismatics gatherings.

I belong to two groups, one group has been meeting for 40's years. The gifts of the Holy Spirit are clear and discerned. I love to praise and worship God in this wonderful group of loving people. I also attend the Spanish community prayer group. We just started one year ago. On both groups we have spiritual directors, for the English we have a priest and for the Spanish we have a deacon. We have a yearly mass on Penthecost day in the cathedral where our Bishops lead this celebration.

In the bible it says, we are Philips, or Jame's, or Peter's, or... we all belong to Jesus, we all belong to God. It will be better if we all learn how to respect our individual spirituality than to put it down or degrading it. We are different parts, but one body, the church, the body of the childre of God. We are all catholics.
--hide--

I, too have been part of the Charismatics since I was a teen. I no longer attend those services but see value in it.

Jan 13th 2013 new

Patricia, Thanks for your post. The renewal could still hopefully be used to unify or to enliven our Church in some cases. (This is just a statement that means God may want to use it somehow.)It is up to God where it will be most effective now.. Thanks for posting again Patricia.

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Joe-660568 said: What is the general attitude of the forum readers here towards the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, which has...
(Quote) Joe-660568 said: What is the general attitude of the forum readers here towards the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, which has been embraced by three popes: Paul VI, John Paul II and our current pope Benedict XVI? There are several books written by church officials on the topic such as "Sober Intoxication of the Spirit: Filled With the Fullness of God" by Father Raniero Cantalamessa and "Healing in the Spirit of Jesus" by Father Peter Sanders. In my parish, anyone referred to as a "charismatic" is overtly ostracized. If the forum attitude is the same, then why the disconnect?
--hide--

It is a good Movement.... It is very popular in WA and I had an experiannce at a healing mass. The man doing the prayer and healing Prophised my Husband Cheating.. That is how i found the other woman. My ex wanted both of us. My EX's friends told me not to stay. They told me he was cheating the 27 years of our Mariage. It was good I finally learned this.. They should have told me years ago. So yes it is a good thing. Most people that know me guess I am charismatic. Although many friends of mine are . I don't consider my self charismatic. The ultra Conservatives think I am a latin mass type Catholic. But I don't consider my self that either. I am just Catholic and see God working in all of them. I don't think any of us should be closing doors. When a person does that they no longer are open to learning truth .

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: I am so dismayed at the negative comments expressed in this thread
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

I am so dismayed at the negative comments expressed in this thread

--hide--

I suspect more than a few have perceptions arising from seeing some of the outlandish fringe (or at least I hope it is fringe) behavior, such as those who claim to be "speaking in tongues" while uttering sounds that are not understood by anyone present and which experts cannot identify as a known language.

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-521814 said: The man doing the prayer and healing Prophised my Husband Cheating..
(Quote) Donna-521814 said:

The man doing the prayer and healing Prophised my Husband Cheating..

--hide--

And this was revealed to people other than your husband?

Jan 13th 2013 new
Donna. Im not saying it was as I have no authority in this area, but demons can provide information too. Problem with emotions, demons can and do stir them up. Fr. Rippereger has some great talks on this.
Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Tim-734178 said: Donna. Im not saying it was as I have no authority in this area, but demons can provide information too. P...
(Quote) Tim-734178 said: Donna. Im not saying it was as I have no authority in this area, but demons can provide information too. Problem with emotions, demons can and do stir them up. Fr. Rippereger has some great talks on this.
--hide--

You make a good point. That is why there has to be the authority of a good priest (as a spiritual director) and people who are not into showing off- involved in these meetings. Not all of it is a" show" so to speak. I like Fr. Rippereger (Rippenger?).

Many people eventually "grew away" from the Charismatic expression but it provided something fto them for a time of growing in the faith. Some people did not find a continued growth I imagine, but it did help build community for many others.

Jan 13th 2013 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I suspect more than a few have perceptions arising from seeing some of the outlandish fringe (or...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

I suspect more than a few have perceptions arising from seeing some of the outlandish fringe (or at least I hope it is fringe) behavior, such as those who claim to be "speaking in tongues" while uttering sounds that are not understood by anyone present and which experts cannot identify as a known language.

--hide--

My first and only experience with Charismatics was my last because they acted in bizarre ways. I went with my Protestant friends, and he wanted to leave too because it was such a turn off.
Posts 31 - 40 of 142