Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: ?????? Can you put your question in context, please? There are a lot of things done ...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

??????

Can you put your question in context, please?

There are a lot of things done in the Extraordinary Form that is not done in the NO and vice versa.

--hide--

I believe he was asking what practice you were referring to in the last sentence of the topic post.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I believe he was asking what practice you were referring to in the last sentence of the t...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

I believe he was asking what practice you were referring to in the last sentence of the topic post.

--hide--

I was referring to the ablution after Communion, which in my experience is not done in the NO. As you noted , even today there may be some old time priests that still do it. But I personally have not seen it.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Which Archbishop are you referring to?
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Which Archbishop are you referring to?

--hide--
Paul, Sorry I forgot the link, here is the show he is on with Father mitch, her is the link. www.youtube.com

Jan 12th 2013 new

Whether or not it is in the GIRM, to Paul, I would say I *have* seen the priest wash his fingers in the NO mass, numerous times. I used to attend a Newman community and the priest always washed his fingers at the end of communion. Just because you haven't witnessed it, doesn't mean it doesn't occur.

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-26175 said: Whether or not it is in the GIRM, to Paul, I would say I *have* seen the priest wash his fingers...
(Quote) Patrick-26175 said:

Whether or not it is in the GIRM, to Paul, I would say I *have* seen the priest wash his fingers in the NO mass, numerous times. I used to attend a Newman community and the priest always washed his fingers at the end of communion. Just because you haven't witnessed it, doesn't mean it doesn't occur.

--hide--

I believe I was very clear in stipulating that I have never seen it. I never said it never happens and and did acknowledge that it could.

However, Jerry researched the question, as you noted, and found that the prescribed rubrics do not require a priest to ablute after distributing communion. That being a irrefutable fact, I believe it is reasonable to conclude that as a general rule it does not occur and that when it does occur it is an exception rather than the rule. More precisely it is the practice of a particular priest. There may even be Orders or Congregation of Priests that require their members to do so.

I have seen many Masses by the Pope on EWTN and he does no do this. Many other masses on EWTN for the installation of Bishops or major celebrations also illustrate that, as a rule, it is not done.

Finally, I might add, I find the fact that it is not required to be reprehensible. Probably explains why the current fad in Church buildings today is to sluff off the tabernacle to, at best, a side altar if not hidden away to some less accessible adoration room than front and center, where I believe it properly belongs.

Posts 11 - 15 of 15