Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Way's to know the difference with my two cents

Lust: Only thinking about yourself like only caring about your hopes and dreams. Showing interest in only what the person looks like and he/she can give you. Attitude of lust is "What can you do for me?".

Love: Making sacrifices for that person and not only think for yourself. You love the person with your whole mind, heart, body, and soul. Attitude for love is "What can I do for you?".

Jan 3rd 2013 new

I think I agree with this, although there is surely more to be said on the subject. Good distinction!

Jan 3rd 2013 new
(Quote) Tom-432657 said: Way's to know the difference with my Lust: Only thi...
(Quote) Tom-432657 said:

Way's to know the difference with my

Lust: Only thinking about yourself like only caring about your hopes and dreams. Showing interest in only what the person looks like and he/she can give you. Attitude of lust is "What can you do for me?".

Love: Making sacrifices for that person and not only think for yourself. You love the person with your whole mind, heart, body, and soul. Attitude for love is "What can I do for you?".

--hide--

Good post.

I have told a few of my younger friends who are dating that love is about sacrifce. You put the greater good of the other ahead of yourself. That greater good is their moral welfare, spiritual welfare, health and financial welfare. You would do nothing to lead them into sin.
Jan 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-432657 said: Way's to know the difference with my Lust:
(Quote) Tom-432657 said:

Way's to know the difference with my

--hide--

I like the examples, but isn't fantasizing about your future spouse lustful? I'm reading The Fantasy Fallacy now.

Jan 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: I like the examples, but isn't fantasizing about your future spouse lust...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

I like the examples, but isn't fantasizing about your future spouse lustful? I'm reading The Fantasy Fallacy now.

--hide--

It depends on what you are fantasizing about wink

Jan 4th 2013 new

John Paul the Great in TOB stated in short that it was sinful for a man to fantasize about his wife to achieve certain results. At least that is my understanding. Of course looking foward to a romantic eveing and what that will entail are two different things.

Jan 4th 2013 new

Lust is temporary and love is forever. Satisfying your lustful appetites will spoil your pure desires. Lust is impure and sinful. As Jesus says on the sermon on the mount "Blessed are those with a pure heart, for they shall see God". A successful marriage is one that ends till death. As it is till death due you part in the vow of marriage. Lust is self seeking but love isn't and lust is the opposite of what love is. Selfishness is lust and not love. Love is good and lust is bad. When thinking pure thoughts of someone then it is not lust. When a commitment is of love then that means you value the one as you would value yourself and the two become one.

Jan 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said:I like the examples, but isn't fantasizing about your future spouse lustful? I'm reading T...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

--hide--

It can be especially dangerous for women, because we tend to build up a dream/ideal about something and think about it as if it is real. Think Eponine. We have a little box in our souls, the "husband box" that we ought to keep empty completely until we meet that man that we are to marry. However, we fill it up with nice little ideas then with tangibles, then with various attributes, men, elves, and dwarves so that we are now in love with an idea...something I can see very easily as lustful. Even if we know a particular guy and we "love" him, we have to be careful to love him and not just our idea of him.

Does this make sense?

Jan 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: It depends on what you are fantasizing about
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

It depends on what you are fantasizing about

--hide--

Yep. I know what you mean. scratchchin

Jan 7th 2013 new
Treating someone as a sex object is lust and treating someone as a person is love. two cents
Posts 1 - 10 of 45