Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 23rd 2013 new

Justin's post made me think of David and Bathsheba. David saw her taking a bath, and he was attracted and aroused by the sight. If it had stopped there, I think it would simply have been the natural reaction in the circumstance. But David didn't stop there. He decided to go after her, to possess her, despite her being married to Uriah. THAT was lust.

Let me use another example. In another thread, people were kidding around about Linda's pecan pie. So we have a pie on the table, and pecan pie is delicious. Thinking about its flavor will make your mouth water, and you'd like a slice. But the pie is reserved for a special event. If you tell yourself, "Ok, I understand, but I do like pecan pie!" , that's it. But if you keep staring at it, hoping maybe the pie owner will change her mind and give you a sliver, or if you find a way to sample some without disturbing the pie too much....THAT's lusting.

Jan 23rd 2013 new
Fr Larry Richards, my second son's godfather and great Catholic speaker and priest, says sexual thoughts are like birds flying over your head -- you can either encourage them to fly away, or you can invite to build their nests on your head.
Jan 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Justin's post made me think of David and Bathsheba. David saw her taking a bath, and he was at...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

Justin's post made me think of David and Bathsheba. David saw her taking a bath, and he was attracted and aroused by the sight. If it had stopped there, I think it would simply have been the natural reaction in the circumstance. But David didn't stop there. He decided to go after her, to possess her, despite her being married to Uriah. THAT was lust.

Let me use another example. In another thread, people were kidding around about Linda's pecan pie. So we have a pie on the table, and pecan pie is delicious. Thinking about its flavor will make your mouth water, and you'd like a slice. But the pie is reserved for a special event. If you tell yourself, "Ok, I understand, but I do like pecan pie!" , that's it. But if you keep staring at it, hoping maybe the pie owner will change her mind and give you a sliver, or if you find a way to sample some without disturbing the pie too much....THAT's lusting.

--hide--

Thanks for the clarification Lina.

Jan 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Fr Larry Richards, my second son's godfather and great Catholic speaker and priest, says sexual tho...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Fr Larry Richards, my second son's godfather and great Catholic speaker and priest, says sexual thoughts are like birds flying over your head -- you can either encourage them to fly away, or you can invite to build their nests on your head.
--hide--

I like that analogy. It's really good. Great distinction b/n lust and love.

Jan 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Justin's post made me think of David and Bathsheba. David saw her taking a bath, and he was at...

--hide--

Exactly Lina! If David had just admired the view and then moved on no harm done, but he didn't, he allowed his admiration to become possession and we know how that story ended.

Forgive me because i'm still working this concept out a bit, but if you believe sex is a gift from God and attraction is something positive and healthy, then there has to be a point where is attraction becomes negative and unhealthy. When i think about my own past history (TMI maybe ;) ) the point for me where things went from good to bad was when i started to want to possess.

Jan 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Fr Larry Richards, my second son's godfather and great Catholic speaker and priest, says sexual tho...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Fr Larry Richards, my second son's godfather and great Catholic speaker and priest, says sexual thoughts are like birds flying over your head -- you can either encourage them to fly away, or you can invite to build their nests on your head.
--hide--

This is a word everyone needs to hear... and heed.

Jan 24th 2013 new
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Fr Larry Richards, my second son's godfather and great Catholic speaker and priest, says sexual thoughts are ...
--hide--

Great quote! Father Richards is so outstanding by the way!! I love his books and sermons.
Jan 24th 2013 new
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Justin's post made me think of David and Bathsheba. David saw her taking a bath, and he was attracted and a...

--hide--

Thank you, Lina. It is a very clear explanation.
Jan 24th 2013 new

--hide--

I LOVE that story! Because it shows what lengths lust will drive a person to, and it also exemplifies the importance of living a virtuous life so that lust doesn't overpower a soul. David's sin doesn't start with lust - it starts with not doing his job as a king - while all the other kings were out doing their job, David was at home, sleeping all afternoon. It was after one of these afternoon naps at home that he sees Bathsheba and succumbs to lust. Thanks for using this example Lina!

Jan 24th 2013 new

And this is one example of where, even though we sin, we should not succumb to the thoughts of oppressive failure. DESPITE his sin, David was one of God's greatest! Of course, we must repent of our sin, and we must bear the consequence of that sin. But having sinned does not put us out of the game.

Posts 31 - 40 of 45