Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

I was wondering what are the rules of engagement for dating in the Catholic church. What is considered exceptable and not?

For example:

When traveling do we have to get two seperate rooms or sleeping on two seperate beds okay?

Or what are the rules of physical intimacy (obviously sex is out of the question) but what about making out?

Or any random things that a non practicing Catholic would take for granted...

Thank you!

Jan 3rd 2013 new
Hi! It's no different if you're practicing chastity. Yet again, some do questionable things during dating! Lol
Jan 3rd 2013 new

That's why I'm asking. And you don't want to do anything questionable! If anyone has a good book or site that further outlines this. It would be greatly apprecitated!

God Bless!

Jan 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-925069 said:'s Or what are the rules of physical intimacy (obviously sex is out of the question) but wh...
(Quote) Patricia-925069 said:'s

Or what are the rules of physical intimacy (obviously sex is out of the question) but what about making out?

--hide--

I'd say a person's "Rules of Engagement for Dating" that includes making-out is not a good prospect. Makes me wonder how free she's been w/ the "x" number of men she's dated?

How in the He..double hockey sticks is that going to help discern finding a spouse who can live w/ you in ALL the other requirements of a marriage? ..caring about the other's Soul & getting to Heaven, raising children, praying together, taking care of aging parents, finances, oh no, the water heater just busted, and my car broke down in the middle of an icestorm....

Please send me a woman who understands Chastity, and can share spiritually, intellectually, and emotionally in building a relationship.

Jan 3rd 2013 new

I am appauled by your answer. You just insinuated vulgar language. I am asking a viable question. I am looking to adhire to the rules of the Catholic church. How can you write me off like that? Not very Catholic sir. I would recommend talking to a Priest about your attitude. You could of given me better insight of Chasity for an example would of been a better response. I would recommend you go pray about this.

Jan 3rd 2013 new

Quick..Lock the door and don't let Jerry in this thread.. mischievous shhh

Jan 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: Quick..Lock the door and don't let Jerry in this thread..
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

Quick..Lock the door and don't let Jerry in this thread..

--hide--

Hahahaha Donna.

Jan 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-925069 said: I was wondering what are the rules of engagement for dating in the Catholic church. What is co...
(Quote) Patricia-925069 said:

I was wondering what are the rules of engagement for dating in the Catholic church. What is considered exceptable and not?

For example:

When traveling do we have to get two seperate rooms or sleeping on two seperate beds okay?

Thank you!

--hide--
A loaded question, that can be interpreted as "What can I do, or how far can I go without violating the rules." The "Catechism of the Catholic Church" has several items pertaining to the virtue of chastity. We are obligated to this virtue no matter what our faith is and no matter what our marital status might be.

I would suggest the Catechism for starters. Also, many people have quoted from a book called "Theology of the Body". I haven't read it, but it's popular and apparently a good guideline. It's referred to often.

Offhand, I would say your behavior should be of purity. Think of what you would do in front of your parents, a priest, or even in public. If your actions would cause some discomfort, it's probably your conscience sending a message to you. Whether you are practicing your Faith on a regular basis or not, improper behavior is still improper.

Also, bear in mind that we are obligated to refrain from placing ourselves in the occasions of wrongdoing (sin). No temptation; no offenses.

Traveling? At least separate rooms -- again keeping in mind the temptation factor. Making out can easily lead to more intense actions -- again, the temptation factor.

Difficult? In many cases, yes. Can one's virtue be held intact with effort and prayer? Of course.

Jan 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-925069 said: I was wondering what are the rules of engagement for dating in the Catholic church. What is co...

For example:

Thank you!

--hide--

If you are following the church teachings then you already no what is wrong. As for being grown up enough to control your self while traveling get two rooms travel with others to be safe. Yet , I have myself traveled with guys and we have due to lack of money gotten one room and 2 beds but in the end those guys are just very good friends with me at the time they were more than that but very respectful. making out is alright as long as you don't get too hot . I kissing is not at all a bad thing but you both need to talk about this stuff before engaging in it . Communicate with each other, take your time with with each other as well. Just my 2 cents.

Jan 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-925069 said: I am appauled by your answer. You just insinuated vulgar language. I am asking a viable questi...

I am appauled by your answer. You just insinuated vulgar language. I am asking a viable question. I am looking to adhire to the rules of the Catholic church. How can you write me off like that? Not very Catholic sir. I would recommend talking to a Priest about your attitude. You could of given me better insight of Chasity for an example would of been a better response. I would recommend you go pray about this.

--hide--
Calm down, Patricia. Bob has demonstrated a great deal of common sense and knowledge during his time in the forums. He was attempting to impart knowledge and his thoughts and what he said has merit. He is speaking from a man of faith point of view. It seems you are looking for a specific list of "do's" and "don't's", as if it were a checklist.

The accusations that he "not very Catholic"; the recommendations that he should be "talking to a Priest" and "go pray about this" are uncalled for.

By the age of 27, people have had enough religious education (or at least should have) to be able to have an informed conscience. If your catechesis is lacking, you may need to get a fresh start with the basics.

As a newer CM member, we welcome you, and are glad you are coming to the forums. However, this is meant to be a place to share wisdom, knowledge and experience. Personal attacks and condescending remarks are not appropriate.

Just a suggestion -- browse through other topics, or look up some individuals' posting history where you can gain some insight about the people whom you are addressing. A good place to start would be with Bob.

Posts 1 - 10 of 81