Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Dan-28682 said: Peter, might try reading this introduction to a book by Dr. Joseph Nicolosi called "...
(Quote) Dan-28682 said:

Peter, might try reading this introduction to a book by Dr. Joseph Nicolosi called "Reparative Therapy of Male Homosexuality" before you say that Reparative Therapy is a waste of time.

narth.com

Here is Dr. Nicholosi's bio...

Biographical Information:
Joseph Nicolosi, Ph.D.

Dr. Nicolosi graduated from the New School for Social Research (M.A.) and received his Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from the California School of Professional Psychology, Los Angeles. He is licensed as a psychologist in California.

In 1980, he founded the Thomas Aquinas Psychological Clinic in Encino, California, and has served since then as Clinical Director. Although he works with a wide variety of clients, his specialty is the treatment of men who wish to diminish their same-sex attractions and develop their heterosexual potential.

Dr. Nicolosi is one of three founding members--and former President--of the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH), a 1,000-member professional association founded in 1992 (http://www.narth.com). NARTH’s goal is –

To support mental-health professionals who work with same-sex-attracted clients seeking change. To promote respect within the mental-health profession for worldview diversity—whether a person seeks to identify as gay, or to work toward developing his heterosexual potential.

The NARTH website is viewed by over 100,000 visitors each month. It is the only secular group in the U.S. which protects the rights of therapists to counsel clients with unwanted homosexuality.

--hide--
I think most experts agree there are degrees of same-sex attraction and perhaps it's possible to reorient those who sincerely want to be helped. There should be such a service and Governor Moonbeam should stick to fiscal matters. His decision to ban them was driven solely by political correctness. Those who are comfortable with and prefer the gay lifestyle however, are not fixable because in their minds they are not "broken." I think the jury is still out on how they wound up that way, but it wasn't a choice.

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: I think most experts agree there are degrees of same-sex attraction and perhaps it's possible...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

I think most experts agree there are degrees of same-sex attraction and perhaps it's possible to reorient those who sincerely want to be helped. There should be such a service and Governor Moonbeam should stick to fiscal matters. His decision to ban them was driven solely by political correctness. Those who are comfortable with and prefer the gay lifestyle however, are not fixable because in their minds they are not "broken." I think the jury is still out on how they wound up that way, but it wasn't a choice.

--hide--

Part 1) www.youtube.com

(Part 2) www.youtube.com

Part 3) www.youtube.com

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: I think most experts agree there are degrees of same-sex attraction and perhaps it's possible...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

--hide--

Did you ever read the 12 steps associated with Alcoholic's Anonymous? Seems to me that people with same-sex attraction could likely use these same steps to control their same sex attraction, but I agree that they would have to want to control the attraction before something like this would help them. And I also agree that we do not know how people end up with same sex attraction, but regardless of same sex attraction, the homosexual act in and of itself is a choice.

The one thing I really don't see in all of this is that when you read the statistics on alcoholism, drug abuse, depression, suicide and premature deaths among those who practice a homosexual lifestyle, you can't help but think that it is not a healthy lifestyle. I really don't buy the fact that this unhealthiness is caused by bullying or bigotry, I think it is a sign of deeper problems and I can't help but think that we should try to help these people to find a healthier lifestyle just as we would an alcoholic or a drug addict.

Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Part 1) www.youtube.com (Part 2) http://www.youtube.co...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

Part 1) www.youtube.com

(Part 2) www.youtube.com

Part 3) www.youtube.com

--hide--

I watched Part one, it was interesting. I think Nicolosi is a real doctor unlike the far too many common quacks. He makes perfect sense how a boy i.e. who doesn't have a good relationship with his father can fall victim to homosexuality, and how the different personality types play a role.

This is why the homosexual lobby wants to ban therapy. They know that they can't reproduce a homosexual so all they can do is corrupt children from dysfuntional families. In reality the majority of homosexuals are predators and many more want to be organized with a legal cover to create more so they can fulfill their ever growing illicit lust.

josephnicolosi.com

Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Hi John, Just to bring you up to date on the most recent development concerning this issue...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Hi John,

Just to bring you up to date on the most recent development concerning this issue...

Refer to the article below titled "California Gay Conversion Therapy Ban (temporarily) Blocked by Court"

>> www.bloomberg.com

I don't know much about the efficacy of such therapies, if they are even just quackery or if there are truly useful therapies. My tendency is to think that the CA legislature and governor are probably least equipped (professionally) to understand or determine if such things can be useful. I think that it may be best if they would just stay out of this issue completely, and let the professional medical/psychological/psychiatric societies address it. I would prefer that the CA legislature and governor stick to balancing the budget and efficiently running the state. They are woefully inadequate concerning the things for which they are most responsible. I can't imagine that they would serve any useful purpose venturing into medical/psychological/psychiatric issues.

But then, I may just be a disillusioned California resident.

Ed

--hide--

This should not be banned. There are gay people who are not happy with it and who may be acting on a kind of compulsion set in motion from
a traumatic incident or two. This thinking might be considered outdated by some, but in order to ban this, they should know a lot more about the causes and they plainly don't the true cause. If a person wants that therapy, or they come to want it, they should be able to get it...

Gov Brown is not an expert in this and should let the experts handle it.

Posts 11 - 15 of 15