Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Emily-380294 said: I think it is so great that you not only want to uphold the moral values of the Catholic church ...
(Quote) Emily-380294 said:

I think it is so great that you not only want to uphold the moral values of the Catholic church in your house but also want to give your son the WHY. I will never forget my mother telling me "Because I'm the parent and your the child"... well... sorry mom... but this isn't good enough. I am a person that needs the why! I'll do what you say... and follow your rules when I'm under your roof... but why insult me by not giving me the why?!?!

--hide--

By all means explain why. However, as you may have noticed in perusing these very forums, even adults are quick to summarily dismiss that which is inconvenient for them or challenges their world view; teenagers even more so. If the child doesn't respond to reason, at some point the adult has the responsibility to play the trump card.

Jan 11th 2013 new

I had a similar situation with my daughter when she was engaged. She wanted to spend a couple of days with her boyfriend 's family who lived out of state. I allowed it the first time so she could meet them. When she asked to do it again I told her it could cause scandle to others. Also we promise to stay away from the occasion of sin in the Act of Contrition, I believe this is a good example. God bless, Jerra

Feb 1st 2013 new

Sometimes it's useful to gross them out.

"Nothing will happen?" you say. "How in the world do you think YOU got here, kiddo?" Then go on to explain that you have been there and done that and describe the responsibilities that mature love brings with it.

Feb 1st 2013 new

You make a good point. Each person has an obligation to protect the other's reputation (if not more).

Mar 15th 2013 new

You might also point out that if things don't work out for them he will have helped her develop a bad practice that might not be so safe with other men. Also, the example of his life speaks to others. Those are additional practical reasons that you are right.

Mar 15th 2013 new
My children know why it's wrong from a young age. I wouldn't worry about re-explaining it to your son; he knows why already. As for my older children, I just forbid it. Kate Kids ages 23, 22, 19, 14, 9, 8, & 8
Posts 41 - 46 of 46