Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Confession and the Bible

Jan 4th 2013 new

I'm asking for help understanding an aspect of Catholic teaching. I am trying to understand all that I can, and I have questions about confession. This website (www.gotquestions.org provides a Christian view of why confessing to a Priest is not necessary. Can you please help me understand why Catholics believe this is necessary and important? Any information would be great. I admit I am a little bit blind to some things due to my upbringing. My parents don't believe in confession.

Thank you!!!

Jan 4th 2013 new

I would check EWTN website ~ Fr. Eckert (EWTN.com - Scriptual basis for confession)explanation on confession he mention the scriptures of

John 20:19-23 a good reference when having a dialogue with a non-Catholic about justifying our practice of confession?

Jan 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Kelly-846180 said: I'm asking for help understanding an aspect of Catholic teaching. I am trying to understand a...
(Quote) Kelly-846180 said:

I'm asking for help understanding an aspect of Catholic teaching. I am trying to understand all that I can, and I have questions about confession. This website (www.gotquestions.org provides a Christian view of why confessing to a Priest is not necessary. Can you please help me understand why Catholics believe this is necessary and important? Any information would be great. I admit I am a little bit blind to some things due to my upbringing. My parents don't believe in confession.

Thank you!!!

--hide--

Kelly,

You should only be reviewing Catholic sources for answers to any questions regarding the Faith. If your parents are not Catholic, then you need to find a devout priest or someone well-grounded in the Faith who can help you; your parents are not in a position to teach you about the Faith if they do not believe in the sacrament of penance.

The short answer is that it is necessary to confess our sins to our priest because the Catholic Church says that this is so. Only a priest can give absolution for our sins; this is all we need to know.

Jan 4th 2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: Kelly,You should only be reviewing Catholic sources for answers to any ques...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

Kelly,

You should only be reviewing Catholic sources for answers to any questions regarding the Faith. If your parents are not Catholic, then you need to find a devout priest or someone well-grounded in the Faith who can help you; your parents are not in a position to teach you about the Faith if they do not believe in the sacrament of penance.

The short answer is that it is necessary to confess our sins to our priest because the Catholic Church says that this is so. Only a priest can give absolution for our sins; this is all we need to know.

--hide--

Thank you for your advice. My parents ARE Catholic, but they don't find the need to ask questions like I do! I suppose they have made up their minds about what they believe. I am on my own and do not rely on them to teach me about Catholicism. I am, however, open to learning as much as possible, and I'm sorry to say that "just because" is not always a good enough answer for me. Sometimes it is, but even so, I like to know all sides of an argument so I can defend my beliefs to others as well. It is the best way to spread the Good Word. I think that is true for other topics like abortion and gay marriage. I would like to review all sources for answers to my questions. I will continue to read Catholic sources as well, though, so thank you.

Jan 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Genie-920495 said: I would check EWTN website ~ Fr. Eckert (EWTN<...
(Quote) Genie-920495 said:

I would check EWTN website ~ Fr. Eckert (EWTN.com - Scriptual basis for confession)explanation on confession he mention the scriptures of

John 20:19-23 a good reference when having a dialogue with a non-Catholic about justifying our practice of confession?

--hide--

I am looking at that site right now!! Thanks!

Jan 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Kelly-846180 said: I'm asking for help understanding an aspect of Catholic teaching. I am trying to understand a...

Thank you!!!

--hide--
Perhaps this will help. If the link doesn't work directly you can still look it up. It's perhaps more lengthy than you need but the essential information is presented early in the article.

http://www.ourcatholicfaith.org/teaching-confession.html

Jan 5th 2013 new
James 5:16, confess your sins before man. John 20 22-23, bind and loosen.

Also check out this link

answers.yahoo.com

Question, question question your faith! Yes, we are to be dumb sheep when it comes to following Christ without question. However, God gave as a brain to be used in pursuit and knowledge of Him which is more fully realized through the Catholic Church. The Church looses more members (IMHO) over lack of knowledge of its teachings. And those members usually get "saved" in other denominations and then proceed to become anti Catholic themselves. All because they didn't question like you are. Or, if they questioned they received the unhelpful response, "because we are Catholic and that is that the church teaches."

The added plus is that when you do get challenged, you can respond biblically to those who are ignorant.

Get a catechism (green cover) and read it. Biblical references abound.

God bless you in your search!
Jan 5th 2013 new
Go on amazon or you closest Catholic bookstore and get Fr. Mario Romero "Unabridged Christianity." It is one of the best apologetics I have read so far. It is about $17.00 and worth every penny.
Jan 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Kelly-846180 said: Thank you for your advice. My parents ARE Catholic, but they don't find the need to ask quest...

Thank you for your advice. My parents ARE Catholic, but they don't find the need to ask questions like I do! I suppose they have made up their minds about what they believe. I am on my own and do not rely on them to teach me about Catholicism. I am, however, open to learning as much as possible, and I'm sorry to say that "just because" is not always a good enough answer for me. Sometimes it is, but even so, I like to know all sides of an argument so I can defend my beliefs to others as well. It is the best way to spread the Good Word. I think that is true for other topics like abortion and gay marriage. I would like to review all sources for answers to my questions. I will continue to read Catholic sources as well, though, so thank you.

--hide--

Kelly,

If your parents are Catholic but don't see a need for confession, then they should really be asking a lot of questions. I would also point out that you are putting your faith in jeopardy by reading any literature from heretical groups for answers to your questions about Catholicism.

It is certainly important to know not just what you believe, but why you believe it. As you can already see, people here can refer you to Catholic sources for answers.

Keep the Faith.

Will

Jan 5th 2013 new

Thank you!!!

--hide--

Kelly, you remind me of me. Keep asking questions, seeking answers and storming heaven with prayer!

Posts 1 - 10 of 13