Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Jan 5th 2013 new
(Quote) Kelly-846180 said: I'm asking for help understanding an aspect of Catholic teaching. I am trying to understand all that I can...
(Quote) Kelly-846180 said:

I'm asking for help understanding an aspect of Catholic teaching. I am trying to understand all that I can, and I have questions about confession. This website (www.gotquestions.org provides a Christian view of why confessing to a Priest is not necessary. Can you please help me understand why Catholics believe this is necessary and important? Any information would be great. I admit I am a little bit blind to some things due to my upbringing. My parents don't believe in confession.

Thank you!!!

--hide--

1444 In imparting to his apostles his own power to forgive sins the Lord also gives them the authority to reconcile sinners with the Church. This ecclesial dimension of their task is expressed most notably in Christ's solemn words to Simon Peter: "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."45 "The office of binding and loosing which was given to Peter was also assigned to the college of the apostles united to its head."46

1445 The words bind and loose mean: whomever you exclude from your communion, will be excluded from communion with God; whomever you receive anew into your communion, God will welcome back into his. Reconciliation with the Church is inseparable from reconciliation with God.

www.vatican.va
Jan 5th 2013 new
Kelly, keep in mind that in terms of Church history, confessing solely to God in private prayer is a relatively recent (Protestant) innovation. The Catholic Church has practiced the sacrament of Confession/Reconciliation from the beginning, though it has not always had its present form. In the earliest centuries, you confessed your sins publicly, in church.

Here is a historical outline from the Catholic University of America: faculty.cua.edu
Jan 5th 2013 new
It should be noted, also, that not all Protestants eschew Confession. As noted in this Wikipedia article, Martin Luther recommended Confession and at least some Lutherans still practice it: en.wikipedia.org
Posts 11 - 13 of 13