Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Jan 11th 2013 new

Hey NC Jim,

When I think of miracles the first people I think of are my Mom and my sister. I shared a story in another miracles post a few months back, won't repeat it here, except to say that my sister was healed of cancer thanks to the prayers of my Mom, who passed away the same week. I am convinced my Mom is a saint, really. This is a story not about my Mom, but about a guy, not to be named here except to say it's not me.

This young man and his three brothers had a little sister. She was a little girl when she was suddenly struck severely ill and died within her mother's arms on the way to the hospital. Her father was in the car too. Her brother, the young man, was away at college at the time. Years went by and he was angry with God. Why did He let her die? One day he went into a church alone and was telling God how angry he was, and he heard her voice, his sister's voice. She told him she was OK. She told him she was with Jesus. It was her voice, an audible voice, not an inner voice. Years later he would get married and he and his wife had four daughters, the fourth of which he named after his sister.

One day I was in church with his little daughter, and before I knew it the little girl was up near the front of the church writing in the book on intentions. She was writing her name in big capital letters in the book. I said, "Oh no sweetie, you shouldn't do that." She looked up at me - I'll never forget the look in her eyes - can't put words to it -- she told me she was writing her aunt's name.

Thanks for this great thread.

John

Jan 12th 2013 new

Yes, the Irish seem to get a tremendous number of miracles. They are perfectly comfortable with being "fay", aren't they? I had an Irish grandmother and if she told her family not to take the bus ... they darn well didn't take the bus!

Yes, dreams are quite the amazing things and we should speak of them more. And those ... waking sort of images that come to us.

Children have remarkable dreams. Many times curiously similar. Surely God and our Angels come to us in our dreams.

NC Jim

Jan 12th 2013 new
(Quote) John-746882 said: Hey NC Jim, When I think of miracles the first people I think of are my Mom and my sister. I shared a s...
(Quote) John-746882 said:

Hey NC Jim,

When I think of miracles the first people I think of are my Mom and my sister. I shared a story in another miracles post a few months back, won't repeat it here, except to say that my sister was healed of cancer thanks to the prayers of my Mom, who passed away the same week. I am convinced my Mom is a saint, really. This is a story not about my Mom, but about a guy, not to be named here except to say it's not me.

This young man and his three brothers had a little sister. She was a little girl when she was suddenly struck severely ill and died within her mother's arms on the way to the hospital. Her father was in the car too. Her brother, the young man, was away at college at the time. Years went by and he was angry with God. Why did He let her die? One day he went into a church alone and was telling God how angry he was, and he heard her voice, his sister's voice. She told him she was OK. She told him she was with Jesus. It was her voice, an audible voice, not an inner voice. Years later he would get married and he and his wife had four daughters, the fourth of which he named after his sister.

One day I was in church with his little daughter, and before I knew it the little girl was up near the front of the church writing in the book on intentions. She was writing her name in big capital letters in the book. I said, "Oh no sweetie, you shouldn't do that." She looked up at me - I'll never forget the look in her eyes - can't put words to it -- she told me she was writing her aunt's name.

Thanks for this great thread.

John

--hide--
That is a tear jerker alright! Miracles happen every day. Some people give them another name but not me. I have a handicapped son Neill. I worked with him for quite awhile to get him to turn over and get into a sitting position. It was easier to have a model, his younger brother Adam, to actually imitate. That gave Richard the willpower to go forward and help me to get Neill on his feet and walking. I am talking years now. A friend of mine the night supervisor at my hospital said there was a faith healing priest at her church for the next two nights and we needed to bring Neill. Off we went and the church was packed. People went up to him and some fainted some cried but all were praying for their special intentions. He blessed Neill never asked why we were there. The next day, I got a very excited call from his teacher Pam. She said he took his first three independent steps and wished I was there. She was crying and so was I. He was 4 years 3 months old. He took his time getting on the road to walking and probably not really good at it for another year. Going back for a minute, when I told Mom, she wanted to go the next night for herself. The faith healer asked the church did anyone get an answer to their prayer. You would not believe the amount of hands raised. YES! Miracles happen every day. Just one more story....Neill was sitting at the top of the stairs. He was a little over 7 or maybe 8 and would make noise to signal he wanted to come down. He would never move without assistance. I was at the bottom and I got this feeling that today was the day. I kept cheering him on and he stood up and took the railing with his little hand. Come on Neill you can do it! Put your foot on the stair. He scraped the back of the stair with his heal...yes yes yes you are doing it. Come on Baby! I was cheering and laughing and crying all at once. I still remember that like it was today! The first person I called? Pam and we shared a good cry. I have seen miracles and probably more than my share but I keep asking for more. Selfishly sometimes but I must keep asking. Thanks for your post John and I would apologize for your time but I had to share.
Jan 12th 2013 new
Even though I paragraph, it always comes out as one big one. I am doing something wrong on this iPad. Sorry.
Jan 12th 2013 new
(Quote) Jim-149694 said: Yes, the Irish seem to get a tremendous number of miracles. They are perfectly comfortable with being "fay&...
(Quote) Jim-149694 said:

Yes, the Irish seem to get a tremendous number of miracles. They are perfectly comfortable with being "fay", aren't they? I had an Irish grandmother and if she told her family not to take the bus ... they darn well didn't take the bus!

Yes, dreams are quite the amazing things and we should speak of them more. And those ... waking sort of images that come to us.

Children have remarkable dreams. Many times curiously similar. Surely God and our Angels come to us in our dreams.

NC Jim

--hide--
Oh yes! I think Irish people have it engraved in their heritage. We always thought Mom had ESP!
Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) We always thought Mom had ESP!
(Quote) We always thought Mom had ESP!
--hide--

Your mom ... Irish "fay" ... ESP ... same thing, different name, I think. I prefer the word intuition. ESP sounds New Age and that stuff sets my teeth on edge.

We have "fay" people in our family. Me, for instance, and my sister K'. We were simpatico so often that when we found that odd deck of cards -- the one with the square, triangle, circle, wavy lines, etc. -- we gave it a try to see how many we could guess right when one "sent" and the other "received". You shuffle after each try -- 20 or 30 of these cards in the deck. I think if you got 3-4 right out of 20 it "proved" telepathy. We use to get something like ... 14-17 right out of 20. So there you go, cased proved. We figure it's just pretty much a human attribute that not so many people have or don't know they have. Oh, we don't think it's tele-thought so much as tele-image. So much silly snap out there.

If you read the description of Meyers-Briggs INFJ types they actually mention this intuition it's so common. INFJs make up 1% of the population which is a fair number. Intuition can be astounding. Boy do I have stories.

Things come to us through our senses all the time.

And we Catholics know that we receive mystical promptings and dreams (Hey, St. Joseph? The Magi? Lots in scripture.) and insights that seem to come from nowhere. Not nowhere -- from heaven. Perhaps our guardian angel. Our Lord.

And our subconscious minds can be pretty darn clever. Do some pretty clever remembering for us, calculating things for us, give us a warning when we need it.

And we have scripture and wonderful homilies. The Holy Spirit speaks to us so often in scripture and the sacraments.

So, where are we? Cool intuition, our senses, something from heaven, our own subconscious, and hopefully steeping ourselves in the Traditions, sacraments and learning of our Church.

It's more about what we do with what comes to us. More about correct thinking.

Your mom probably had all or some of this going for her. How wonderful for all of you. Of course moms tend to have lots of magic all of their own! Mine seemed to always know when I was doing something wrong! LOL.

:')

NC Jim

Jan 12th 2013 new

Yes Jim.

Have you ever read the author Andrew Greeley? He has several story lines about fey women and of course the Catholic Church and it's teachings. I love his books and am sure you would enjoy them as well.

Eileen

Jan 12th 2013 new

A little more ...

There are a lot of interesting things out there that every day human beings do all the time.

In karate class way back when they would demonstrate the power of imagining something. Like "seeing" your fist go through the wood when you punched through it. Actually, it's darn hard to do break the wood without doing this.

And they use to demonstrate it another way. I remember the first time I saw this. They had a skinny little grade school kid stand normally but with his arms bent, hands clasped. I and another scoffing teenager stood to each side holding his elbows. He was to close his eyes and imagine, "I'm a tree with deep roots" while we lifted him up. And when we tried, however hard we tried, we couldn't lift that little kid. Pretty quick we jumped on board with the concept.

So there you go ... more stuff you wouldn't think of every day but thousands of people in karate do it all the time.

God has put so many wonderful things in the world. I wonder what unguessed things are out there? The laws of aerodynamics have been around for millions of years. Who knew that if you shoved a wing through the air fast enough it could lift tons?

When miracles are explained away as possibly natural I just shrug. Who cares? Nature is miraculous too. Pretty sure a lot of them aren't ever going to be explained away though.

:')

NC Jim

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Yes Jim. Have you ever read the author Andrew Greeley? He has several story lines about ...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

Yes Jim.

Have you ever read the author Andrew Greeley? He has several story lines about fey women and of course the Catholic Church and it's teachings. I love his books and am sure you would enjoy them as well.

Eileen

--hide--

Fr. Andrew Greeley is not exactly known for his orthodoxy...

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Yes Jim. Have you ever read the author Andrew Greeley? He has several story lines about ...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

Yes Jim.

--hide--

Thanks for the tip Eileen and I surely will. Amazon here I come.

You might want to try to find Taylor Caldwell's Grandmother and the Priests. Taylor Caldwell was a fascinating woman and wrote things way back when that have since become mini-series on TV, etc. If you like Catholic mysticism and Catholic humor, and I'm sure you do, you will enjoy this book. I recently bought a used one, the only copy they had, that was falling apart. Hard to find.

Jim

Posts 11 - 20 of 27