Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Jan 9th 2013 new
(Quote) John-220051 said: What is the best thing to do when you encounter a hostile fallen away Catholic who shows that he or she doesn't...
(Quote) John-220051 said: What is the best thing to do when you encounter a hostile fallen away Catholic who shows that he or she doesn't have a basic understanding of the Catholic faith and is unwilling to listen?
--hide--

I think that we are called to instruct...if someone is uninformed about the faith, but it would be an uphill battle to tackle every hostility. I don't do Facebook at all, or any other social networking. Having a disdain for gossip, arguing, and worthless discussions, I pretty much stay away from those forums.
Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) John-146319 said: The best thing varies from person to person. When someone challenges me to defend the Catholic ten...
(Quote) John-146319 said:

The best thing varies from person to person. When someone challenges me to defend the Catholic tenets, liturgy, history, or actions, I reply that it's not necessary for me to defend an institution that was chartered by Christ and has flourished for nearly 2000 years before I was born to defend it, and will continue to flourish without my defense long after I'm gone. But I'm always willing to discuss and explain the Faith to the best of my own (limited) knowledge of Apologetics. When I don't have an immediate answer to a specific question (and that's more often than not) I offer to research it and provide them with a timely answer. If it's a friend or family member I remind them if they like and respect who I am and how I carry myself, they can credit the Catholic Church for being my foundation.

--hide--
That could blow up in your face if they don't like you, John.....just gives the more reason for disliking the Church.... laughing

Just kidding, of course.

That's really an interesting way of looking at it, and I think you hit upon something that a lot of us are lacking -- the courage and convictions of our Faith. Part of that is due to lack of knowledge, but that can be overcome. But....as Catholics, we should stand out because of what we believe. Being a Catholic doesn't just mean where we go to church, but it's a way of life. There should be something that people notice; something that makes us different from "the others". That's not sayin "the others" are bad, but we should be at the head of the pack.

Good response to them, John!!!

Jan 10th 2013 new

Simply, just pray for them and have faith. Pray for their conversion, just like St. Monica prayed for her son St. Augustine.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: (Quote) My favorite line to them is, Good thing your mom kept you or we wouldn't be have thi...
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said:

[quote] My favorite line to them is, Good thing your mom kept you or we wouldn't be have this debate, would we? That one drives them crasy and always livins up the debate. I think the weirdest thing is, they all believe in all these saving animals causes, but not saving babies. Just shows you how upside down this world has gotten today. Everything you say to them enters there brain as a possible seed and some day might open there eyes.

Jesus said I sent you out amongest wolves and he said they will hate you but they hated me first. Don't worry what to say to them it will come to you from above. Stand in there and they will here what you have to say, Some day it might help them or make them think. IMHO Tommy

--hide--

Right on Thomas! You have nerve and that is good! I get too chicken to get in these people's faces, but sometimes that is the only tack to take.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: What is the best thing to do when you encounter a hostile fallen away Catholic who shows that he or she d...
(Quote) John-220051 said: What is the best thing to do when you encounter a hostile fallen away Catholic who shows that he or she doesn't have a basic understanding of the Catholic faith and is unwilling to listen?
--hide--
Most fallen away Catholics I come across claim to know all about Catholicism. I know this forum is not about turn offs but, turning your back on your faith? This is at the top of my list of non negotiable qualities in a man. Im getting upset just thinking about it. What I learned to do in a situation like that is just end the conversation telling them I dont debate God and walk away. The nerve of these people, Im still mad.....

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: What is the best thing to do when you encounter a hostile fallen away Catholic who shows that he or she d...
--hide--
An approach that is workable in many cases is to quietly and patiently listen to the other person. Often hostile remarks are spewed forth and the people making such remarks are "all wet" in our minds. Nevertheless, keep digging. There's often an underlying reason why people have left the Church, and it doesn't always manifest itself right away. There are people who have been hurt and offended needlessly and unjustifiably by insensitive remarks made by others -- including a small number of priests. Eventually, with enough digging, you'll find out the REAL reason someone left the Church. Whatever they come up with initially is often just a smokescreen.

Once you have an understanding of why a person really left the Church, you can deal with the problem better. To say to these people they're absolutely wrong won't get you very far. You don't have to agree with them either -- just empathize.

As the opportunity presents itself, you can invite that person to come to Mass with you. Afterward, the two of you can discuss it. The Mass is asking too much? Possibly. But...there are various Church sponsored events that may be of interest -- whether it be an annual Church picnic, a fish fry, or spaghetti dinner. People need to see that the reson for their hurting really doesn't exist any longer -- except in their own minds. Many times people took offense at remarks made by a Church official, typically a pastor or one of the priests in a parish. Perhaps the remarks seemed overly harsh and the person rebelled. Sometimes it comes down to a misunderstanding -- something like a Hatfield and McCoy's family feud. The hurt has festered for years so it's difficult to overcome, but there is the matter of taking that first step.

Many people long to return, although they appear outwardly hostile. All they need is someone to invite them back and make them feel the Church wants them.

Some Churches sponsor "Coming Home" events -- spiritual talks that address many issues non-practicing Catholics might have. Many people attending such an event are able to overcome their doubts, hostility and fears and are eager to return. We just have to let them know they're always welcome.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Theresa-911246 said: Most fallen away Catholics I come across claim to know all about Catholicism. I know this forum...
(Quote) Theresa-911246 said:

Most fallen away Catholics I come across claim to know all about Catholicism. I know this forum is not about turn offs but, turning your back on your faith? This is at the top of my list of non negotiable qualities in a man. Im getting upset just thinking about it. What I learned to do in a situation like that is just end the conversation telling them I dont debate God and walk away. The nerve of these people, Im still mad.....

--hide--
Is turning one's back on those who have turned their backs on the Church a solution? Or does it contribute to perpetuating the hostility? Such a situation might be a time to help the other person. Dig far enough and you will often find a lot of misunderstanding, or even deep hurts that were inflicted by people in the Church who should have been helping, not hindering. Perhaps you can be of great help to that person in guiding him back to the Faith.

Jan 11th 2013 new

--hide--
Suggest he/she take a trip to the confessional... Not kidding!

Jan 11th 2013 new

is better to let pass a dog than let him bite you. too bad the fact that at the end we loose a friend but if that person that we think is "a friend" cant show a little bit of respect toward your believes and values, and is not able to apprecciate the richness of the friendship then you really dont have a friend. it means you dont have neither a friend

Jan 11th 2013 new
I have a friend whose family had big issues with the catholic church. I ignored her few comments on the church. On the other hand she had to hear my on, and on sharing about my faith. She is also my friend on face book. Whenever she send something against the catholic church which is rarely, I hide it. I continue post my comments, my articles, my videos, and everything I can get my hands on about the catholic church in my wall. She does not hit like, but I am sure she reads them.
Posts 11 - 20 of 29