Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Solid Catholic retreat?

Jan 6th 2013 new

Does anyone know where I can go for a 2 or 3 day sold Catholic Retreat?

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Therese-632256 said: Does anyone know where I can go for a 2 or 3 day sold Catholic Retreat?
(Quote) Therese-632256 said:

--hide--
Sorry, that is supposed to say solid Catholic Retreat.

Jan 6th 2013 new

I know of a mission comming up by a priest friend of mine in you area and it would be good, I will try and find out more

Jan 6th 2013 new

Therese, depending on the distance you are willing to travel, I would explore the opportunities made available by monasteries in the varying Orders, many of which avail themselves to retreatants for silent, self-directed retreats. Some Orders offer retreats only to those discerning a call though many, such as the Franciscans and Cistercians, offer them to all. Depending on the Order, there may be some restrictions, such as accepting women during given weeks of the year.
You might want to check Gethsemani Abbey which is a Cistercian community and, like you, is in Kentucky. Their website is http://www.monk.org.
I strongly encourage you. Nothing should prove more desirable than seeking the silence and space to encounter God.
Tim

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Dave-24315 said: I know of a mission comming up by a priest friend of mine in you area and it would be good, I will ...
(Quote) Dave-24315 said:

I know of a mission comming up by a priest friend of mine in you area and it would be good, I will try and find out more

--hide--

Thank you Dave. Missions are wonderful and I would love to hear about any that come to my area. But I really would like to find a retreat to go to soon. God bless you!

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Timothy-296611 said: Therese, depending on the distance you are willing to travel, I would explore the opportunities...
(Quote) Timothy-296611 said:

Therese, depending on the distance you are willing to travel, I would explore the opportunities made available by monasteries in the varying Orders, many of which avail themselves to retreatants for silent, self-directed retreats. Some Orders offer retreats only to those discerning a call though many, such as the Franciscans and Cistercians, offer them to all. Depending on the Order, there may be some restrictions, such as accepting women during given weeks of the year.
You might want to check Gethsemani Abbey which is a Cistercian community and, like you, is in Kentucky. Their website is http://www.monk.org.
I strongly encourage you. Nothing should prove more desirable than seeking the silence and space to encounter God.
Tim

--hide--

Thank you for your reply and information Tim! I will look into this. I am really feeling called to go on a retreat so that I can have that silent, uninterrupted encounter with God

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Therese-632256 said: Does anyone know where I can go for a 2 or 3 day sold Catholic Retreat?
(Quote) Therese-632256 said:

--hide--

Absolutely! Sacred Heart Monastery in Cullman, Alabama. I have been going there for over 30 years. I even went with my youngest child 34 years ago. I was still nursing him, so I took him along for a private retreat. Some of the sisters cared for him while I had some quiet prayer time. You will find the Benedictines very accommodating. It is a great place for private retreats or organized retreats. You can find them on the Internet. They have a nice website.

Good luck,

- Elizabeth

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: Absolutely! Sacred Heart Monastery in Cullman, Alabama. I have been going there ...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

Absolutely! Sacred Heart Monastery in Cullman, Alabama. I have been going there for over 30 years. I even went with my youngest child 34 years ago. I was still nursing him, so I took him along for a private retreat. Some of the sisters cared for him while I had some quiet prayer time. You will find the Benedictines very accommodating. It is a great place for private retreats or organized retreats. You can find them on the Internet. They have a nice website.

Good luck,

- Elizabeth

--hide--
Thank you so much Elizabeth, sounds like you had a wonderful experience there. I shall check it out!

Jan 6th 2013 new

opus dei has the best retreats. the spirituality and topics are geared to the laity. they are solidly orthodox, but not ridiculous fuddy duddies.

Jan 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Timothy-296611 said: Therese, depending on the distance you are willing to travel, I would explore the opportunities...
(Quote) Timothy-296611 said:

Tim

--hide--

the only problem with monasteries is that the spirituality is geared to consecrated religious rather than to laypeople. this is why i recommend opus dei. their retreats and spirituality is all geared to the laity.

Posts 1 - 10 of 18