Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) John-727073 said: We need someone in Congress who will stand up and say, ok, we gave you the tax increases, now we&#...
(Quote) John-727073 said:

We need someone in Congress who will stand up and say, ok, we gave you the tax increases, now we're going to hold your proverbial feet to the fire and demand government downsizing, entitlement reform and the myriad of other fiscally responsible actions that a government can do. Of all people, it's looking like Sen. Mitch McConnell is leading this charge. We have got to have leaders who will present themselves as willing to be more accountable than current leadership.

--hide--

I just don't get it. There are many many smart people in Congress and many smart voters, and
rich ones also who know how to make and spend and budget money. Yet, when the
National Debt skyrockets to 16 trillion dollars, they just ignore the ramifications of that much overspending.

These same people would not carry so much personal debt in their own households nor in their own
businesses. Why are they allowing this to happen to our country?

Jan 7th 2013 new

Marianne-100218 said:

"I just don't get it. There are many many smart people in Congress and many smart voters, and
National Debt skyrockets to 16 trillion dollars, they just ignore the ramifications of that much overspending.

"These same people would not carry so much personal debt in their own households nor in their own
businesses. Why are they allowing this to happen to our country?"

I think this article in The Wall Street Journal says a lot. We have a president who is ideologically driven to increase government revenues without attention to the spending:

online.wsj.com

My take on this is that the issue could be health care, it could be defense, it could be public improvements but the outcome still will be the same: more dollars for government.

For a president to make a statement that there isn't a spending problem and this statement comes out during some very one-sided "negotiations" tells a lot about the current state of affairs, don't you think?

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I just don't get it. There are many many smart people in Congress and many smart v...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I just don't get it. There are many many smart people in Congress and many smart voters, and

These same people would not carry so much personal debt in their own households nor in their own
businesses. Why are they allowing this to happen to our country?

--hide--

One of the problems is which sub-committees these elected officials are being assigned to. You see all the freshman elects sending out messages about being honored to be appointed to xxx and yyy, but rarely is an appointee assigned to something upon which they ran for office on a specific platform. It's almost like the hierarchy knows what the people want to focus on but then do an about face and assign them to a pet project that has nothing to do with what their objective was. Not to say all of these committees are non-value added, but put people into something they at least have a working knowledge of instead of assigning him/her to wind energy while they cut their teeth in Washington.

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I am putting my hopes in the NJ Governor, to run for President in 2016. Christie is a ...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I am putting my hopes in the NJ Governor, to run for President in 2016. Christie is a no-nonsense kind of guy.
I hope he will run. I know he must be good because my "Oh so liberal" cousin from NJ hates him.

--hide--
I would support him also, although regarding his recent press conference where he took Speaker Boehner to task, he should have known the $60 billion aid package was held up because it was full of oink, oink, oink!

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) John-727073 said: Marianne-100218 said: "I just don't get it. There are many many s...
(Quote) John-727073 said:

Marianne-100218 said:

"I just don't get it. There are many many smart people in Congress and many smart voters, and

"These same people would not carry so much personal debt in their own households nor in their own
businesses. Why are they allowing this to happen to our country?"

I think this article in The Wall Street Journal says a lot. We have a president who is ideologically driven to increase government revenues without attention to the spending:

online.wsj.com

My take on this is that the issue could be health care, it could be defense, it could be public improvements but the outcome still will be the same: more dollars for government.

For a president to make a statement that there isn't a spending problem and this statement comes out during some very one-sided "negotiations" tells a lot about the current state of affairs, don't you think?

--hide--

Yes, John, I do think it says a lot about the current state of affairs. And when I read the WSJ reference, it said in there
that Obama did not want to tackle the left wingers in his own party. That says a lot too. He is beholden to them for
something. This is turning into a cruel standoff. I am afraid that we are on the losing side though, expecting
spending cuts.

So far we are just watching our country go bankrupt. I don't know how Americans can do this to our country. It is
a sad situation.

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-699857 said: One of the problems is which sub-committees these elected officials are being assigne...
(Quote) Brian-699857 said:

One of the problems is which sub-committees these elected officials are being assigned to. You see all the freshman elects sending out messages about being honored to be appointed to xxx and yyy, but rarely is an appointee assigned to something upon which they ran for office on a specific platform. It's almost like the hierarchy knows what the people want to focus on but then do an about face and assign them to a pet project that has nothing to do with what their objective was. Not to say all of these committees are non-value added, but put people into something they at least have a working knowledge of instead of assigning him/her to wind energy while they cut their teeth in Washington.

--hide--

I guess you are referring to Senators and Congress members who are being assigned to committees?

Posts 11 - 16 of 16