Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Comments on Profile pictures

Jan 7th 2013 new

Where do we start? I've noticed a few things about the profile pictures that I think I should share. Granted some of these may seem minor but they become magnified in the importance of first impression. When you read this post, do so in a voice that is sarcastic on the outside, but weeping for humanity on the inside. I'm not mad, but I just figured i'd share these tid bits of wisdom for those who honestly haven't given this all a second thought; because if so, here's your chance to redeem yourself!

What we're going for in a profile picture is not necessarily anything fancy, just a good honest representation of what you look like, and maybe a small detail/quirk or two to set you apart.

Where I seem to see the most pictures go astray:

1. Lighting - Probably the most common and most annoying is a picture that is too bright. Having light skin is no shame, but when you look like a white-washed fence you're bound to cause a few to keep walking on down the sidewalk. If it looks like you're looking out the window of a spaceship that's falling into the sun You get a Gold Star! , then that's probably an indication for how fast my intrest in you is burning up along with it. Really what's at stake here is the simple fact that I want to see what you look like, instead of having the frustrating feeling of trying to rescue you from a snowstorm. Your face starts to turn into splotches of white and hides all the beautiful detail that makes you unique from every other person on the planet.

The antinomy of this is the picture that is too dark. Not much to say here, just like there's not much to see [ Happy Birthday! got a light?]

The synthesis of the two previous problems into one is the black and white photo. I'm sure you've realized by now, but we've been using color pictures for half a century now. When you really think about it, using a black and white photo is only dectracting from the shot, it isn't adding anything. The profile picture is not the time to get fancy, do that in the other photos you add. The first one just has to be what you look like, so let's stop pretending to be all artsy (unless art/photography really is your job or major!)

2. Acceptable # of people in a profile picture all about you - Yep, you guessed it: ONE! Not two, not one and a half, just you, the open road, and a world full of dreams and possibilities ahead. If your face looks like it's glued to somebody elses, that's probably an indicator that your life is glued to somebody else's. Even more horrifying if that's only half of a person's head. Cropping a photo won't hide the fact that you can't find a SINGLE picture of just you. Without that individualITY, i'm not sure you're an individUAL. A picture of just you says that you've got some potential space for me in there. hug

3. Glasses - Maybe it's because you really are getting too close to the sun, or maybe it's just because you suffered a terrible accident that left you eyeless. They say that the eyes are the window to your soul, and you've just put up some serious sun block. Comming back down to earth, you probably just were too lazy or unmindful to find or take a photo of yourself without your trusty shades. Invest in yourself to get a good shot that really shows me the beauty underneath those bug-eyed sunglasses eyepopping [unless you're an entomologist who studies insects]. So please put down the sun glasses and stop trying to block the sun from getting in and let the radiance of God shine OUTWARDS from your beautiful visage. (unless of course the glasses are glued to your face, and therefore i'm getting an accurate representation of what to expect for a lifetime cool )

4. Funny Faces - This one isn't quite as bad as the others, but i'm inclined to think that if you don't take yourself seriously enough, how am I supposed to? If you're just a goofy tongue type, well that's great, but again there's a better time and place to show this (in your other photos). Just an even keel emotion or smiling face smile is all that's required to start off, if you look terrified or grumpy that's not going to send off a good vibe either. The profile picture is the quick first impression kind of glance, and all I need is the shape of your wonderful human face, not your puffer fish impression. fluffy [Unless of course you are a marine goldfish biologist, and study such things for a living].

5. Too revealing/exposing - I hate to have to get into this one, but if you're leaning all forward into the shot with a tank top on, that's not screaming modesty to me. Either you forgot that this was a Catholic site, or you don't fully understand what that means to be a woman of God. You've got to steal yourself away before I can steal you back, and make me think it's a steal and not a hand-out! theheart (see the barbed wire? It says STAY OUT!)

Ok just for recap. What we want again is: head/upper-body shot with just you, proper lighting, and nothing on or near your face except a smile [or grin]

Good night, God bless, and stay classy my friends ;)

Jan 7th 2013 new

Thank you for the lecture articulating what you prefer a profile picture to be. You vast wisdom and experience will certainly be of beneft to the rest of us. Following your advice we shall all be redeemed of our shortcomings.

Now, to your points... where do we start?

1.) Lighting: Unfortunately, not everyone was blessed with perfect complexion suitable for all environments... as you obviously have been.

2.) No. of people in a picture: What if some people prefer to display themselves in the company of others? If it's their picture shouldn't they be the one making that decision?

3.) Glasses: In case you haven't noticed, some people wear glasses. Are corrective lenses a deal breaker for you?

4.) Funny faces: Is it your face in the picture? Your profile pic isn't exactly a portrait of Abraham Lincoln either. Actually, it's you wearing a costume. What if the women decide that a man in a costume isn't taking himself seriously enough, therefore not worth taking seriously? Just a thought.

5.) Too exposing/revealing: You hated to "get into this one", but it obviously didn't deter you from answering your call to duty.

Not bad... for a beginner! thumbsup Welcome to the fora!

Just one question: you're so thorough and elegant with a first post... what's a first date with you like? wink

theheart

Jan 7th 2013 new

Robert welcome to the forums!

I thought your post was correct and well written myself! And with a sense of humor!

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Robert-864486 said: 5. Too revealing/exposing - I hate to have to get into this one, but if you're leaning all f...
(Quote) Robert-864486 said:

5. Too revealing/exposing - I hate to have to get into this one, but if you're leaning all forward into the shot with a tank top on, that's not screaming modesty to me. Either you forgot that this was a Catholic site, or you don't fully understand what that means to be a woman of God. You've got to steal yourself away before I can steal you back, and make me think it's a steal and not a hand-out! (see the barbed wire? It says STAY OUT!)

--hide--

Huh??? So what? if you can't control yourself then don't look. Do NOT blame a woman because you think bare arms or shorts or even pants are immodest.

There was/is some creep on CM who sends messages to women whose profiles/scrapbooks contain photos HE finds immodest. One messaged me asking if this guy was for real. She felt terrible and violated. She did not renew her membership.

This fine masculine soul probably feels he's a paragon of catholic virtue and that he's doing God's work by performing a spiritual act of mercy. I think he's a voyeuristic creep who likes upsetting women.

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Robert-864486 said: Where do we start? I've noticed a few things about the profile pictures that I think I shoul...
(Quote) Robert-864486 said:

Where do we start? I've noticed a few things about the profile pictures that I think I should share. Granted some of these may seem minor but they become magnified in the importance of first impression. When you read this post, do so in a voice that is sarcastic on the outside, but weeping for humanity on the inside. I'm not mad, but I just figured i'd share these tid bits of wisdom for those who honestly haven't given this all a second thought; because if so, here's your chance to redeem yourself!

What we're going for in a profile picture is not necessarily anything fancy, just a good honest representation of what you look like, and maybe a small detail/quirk or two to set you apart.

Where I seem to see the most pictures go astray:

1. Lighting - Probably the most common and most annoying is a picture that is too bright. Having light skin is no shame, but when you look like a white-washed fence you're bound to cause a few to keep walking on down the sidewalk. If it looks like you're looking out the window of a spaceship that's falling into the sun , then that's probably an indication for how fast my intrest in you is burning up along with it. Really what's at stake here is the simple fact that I want to see what you look like, instead of having the frustrating feeling of trying to rescue you from a snowstorm. Your face starts to turn into splotches of white and hides all the beautiful detail that makes you unique from every other person on the planet.

The antinomy of this is the picture that is too dark. Not much to say here, just like there's not much to see [ got a light?]

The synthesis of the two previous problems into one is the black and white photo. I'm sure you've realized by now, but we've been using color pictures for half a century now. When you really think about it, using a black and white photo is only dectracting from the shot, it isn't adding anything. The profile picture is not the time to get fancy, do that in the other photos you add. The first one just has to be what you look like, so let's stop pretending to be all artsy (unless art/photography really is your job or major!)

2. Acceptable # of people in a profile picture all about you - Yep, you guessed it: ONE! Not two, not one and a half, just you, the open road, and a world full of dreams and possibilities ahead. If your face looks like it's glued to somebody elses, that's probably an indicator that your life is glued to somebody else's. Even more horrifying if that's only half of a person's head. Cropping a photo won't hide the fact that you can't find a SINGLE picture of just you. Without that individualITY, i'm not sure you're an individUAL. A picture of just you says that you've got some potential space for me in there.

3. Glasses - Maybe it's because you really are getting too close to the sun, or maybe it's just because you suffered a terrible accident that left you eyeless. They say that the eyes are the window to your soul, and you've just put up some serious sun block. Comming back down to earth, you probably just were too lazy or unmindful to find or take a photo of yourself without your trusty shades. Invest in yourself to get a good shot that really shows me the beauty underneath those bug-eyed sunglasses [unless you're an entomologist who studies insects]. So please put down the sun glasses and stop trying to block the sun from getting in and let the radiance of God shine OUTWARDS from your beautiful visage. (unless of course the glasses are glued to your face, and therefore i'm getting an accurate representation of what to expect for a lifetime )

4. Funny Faces - This one isn't quite as bad as the others, but i'm inclined to think that if you don't take yourself seriously enough, how am I supposed to? If you're just a goofy type, well that's great, but again there's a better time and place to show this (in your other photos). Just an even keel emotion or smiling face is all that's required to start off, if you look terrified or grumpy that's not going to send off a good vibe either. The profile picture is the quick first impression kind of glance, and all I need is the shape of your wonderful human face, not your puffer fish impression. [Unless of course you are a marine biologist, and study such things for a living].

5. Too revealing/exposing - I hate to have to get into this one, but if you're leaning all forward into the shot with a tank top on, that's not screaming modesty to me. Either you forgot that this was a Catholic site, or you don't fully understand what that means to be a woman of God. You've got to steal yourself away before I can steal you back, and make me think it's a steal and not a hand-out! (see the barbed wire? It says STAY OUT!)

Ok just for recap. What we want again is: head/upper-body shot with just you, proper lighting, and nothing on or near your face except a smile [or grin]

Good night, God bless, and stay classy my friends ;)

--hide--

I liked your thoughts, Robert. Good job of expressing yourself.
I didn't think anything was wrong with what you said. rose

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Michelle-381844 said: I liked your thoughts, Robert. Good job of expressing yourself. I didn't think...
(Quote) Michelle-381844 said:

I liked your thoughts, Robert. Good job of expressing yourself.
I didn't think anything was wrong with what you said.

--hide--

That's because your photo is well-lit and you're alone in it. wink

Jan 7th 2013 new

What about people who dress like Pontius Pilate in their profile pic??? wink

Jan 7th 2013 new

Just so you're aware, my sentiments are reflected by CM. Here is an excerpt for the guidelines on profile pictures from the help on this very website:

"

Profile Photos:

Your face and shoulders must take up a minimum of 200 x 200 pixels when cropped All profile photos will be cropped to a "headshot" from the shoulders to the top of the head. Full body shots will not be approved as a profile photo, but can be included in your album. Must be a clear, color photo of yourself facing the camera, without anything obstructing the view of your face Your profile photo must be a photo of yourself without other people included.

"

Boom, that just covered The fact that it's only supposed to be a head&shoulders shot, it's supposed to be in color, with only yourself, and nothing obstructing your face. I understand that much of what I wrote was my own oppinion, but do not discount how much of it is reflecting the objective purpose of a profile picture.

As per the costume, you can't deny that the cape has class ;)

All about first dates: I screen heavily up front, so that I can take it real easy on the back 9!

Jan 7th 2013 new

I think that you make very good points, Robert. biggrin When we begin to, or consider talking to someone here on CM, it's only fair that both parties know what the other person looks like. Eyes, especially should be visible, as I do believe they are mirrors to the soul, and say a lot about who you are. heart

As for your own Roman profile pic, I rather like it. Reminds me of Rory, the last Centurion in Dr. Who. wink

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernadette-874299 said: I think that you make very good points, Robert. When we begin to, or consider talking to som...
(Quote) Bernadette-874299 said:

I think that you make very good points, Robert. When we begin to, or consider talking to someone here on CM, it's only fair that both parties know what the other person looks like. Eyes, especially should be visible, as I do believe they are mirrors to the soul, and say a lot about who you are.

As for your own Roman profile pic, I rather like it. Reminds me of Rory, the last Centurion in Dr. Who.

--hide--

I agree that Robert has made great points. Sunglasses and hats tend to be a problem. Sunglasses obscuring the eyes, is not helpful. Too dark also quite common and not helpful.

Posts 1 - 10 of 75