Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Melissa-878663 said: Hi Joseph, I think it would depend on how/why it was said. For example, if ...
(Quote) Melissa-878663 said:

Hi Joseph,

I think it would depend on how/why it was said. For example, if a woman said "Wow, you REALLY need to do ______ with your hair . . . it looks horrible!" then it may be seen as controlling However, if a woman said to a man (generally speaking), "You should cut those bangs so I could see your beautiful eyes!", then I think it would be sweet and more of a compliment/conversation starter

--hide--

I think even flattery can be controlling, if the end goal was only to get him to cut his bangs.

I think I love you no matter your hairstyle would be more appropriate.

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-392758 said: So wait, would a woman be considered controlling if say, she told some guy how he should...
(Quote) Joseph-392758 said:

So wait, would a woman be considered controlling if say, she told some guy how he should grow/cut his hair? :)

--hide--

scratchchin Depends on how she says it. laughing

Jan 14th 2013 new

Also Joe, welcome to the fora! Stick around and join in on the fun!

Jan 14th 2013 new

At Melissa and Adrea,

Hello! I think you can love someone and still let them know that "the sweater with the reindeer looks stupid". :) Or is there anything wrong with letting someone know that having their hair done a certain way really compliments their looks? I was thinking in particular about how some women wear make-up because they are insecure, but often times are perfectly fine if not better looking without it. Is there anything wrong with letting them know that?

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernadette-874299 said: Depends on how she says it.
(Quote) Bernadette-874299 said:

Depends on how she says it.

--hide--

What if she was unable to speak because she was in a computer lab and didn't want to disturb the other students? :)

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-392758 said: What if she was unable to speak because she was in a computer lab and didn't want to...

What if she was unable to speak because she was in a computer lab and didn't want to disturb the other students? :)

--hide--

Hmmm...then it would most likely depend on the intent of her message. She could be controlling if she said "I never want to see you with that hairdo again!" but complimentary if she said "Your hair length in such and such a photo was very nice. You should try that look out again, sometime."

Jan 14th 2013 new

Hypothetically.

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-392758 said: At Melissa and Adrea,Hello! I think you can love someone and still let them know tha...

At Melissa and Adrea,

Hello! I think you can love someone and still let them know that "the sweater with the reindeer looks stupid". :) Or is there anything wrong with letting someone know that having their hair done a certain way really compliments their looks? I was thinking in particular about how some women wear make-up because they are insecure, but often times are perfectly fine if not better looking without it. Is there anything wrong with letting them know that?

--hide--

If a guy puts it in *that* way, then sure, it's a fine way of complimenting a lady's natural beauty. However, he shouldn't just come out and say, "Don't wear that make-up anymore. I don't like it." (I actually had a guy I barely knew say this to me!)

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-392758 said: Hypothetically.

Hypothetically.

--hide--

Depends on the lady, too. Some could mean to insult or compliment no matter which way they put it!

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-392758 said: So wait, would a woman be considered controlling if say, she told some guy how he should...

So wait, would a woman be considered controlling if say, she told some guy how he should grow/cut his hair? :)

--hide--

No, in this fora that would be considered appropriate... just as long as you oblige and don't offer any suggestions of your own concerning anything about her appearance. That would be considered judgemental, demonstrating a lack of "Christian charity", lacking the desire to live a chaste life, and so on and so on and so on...

theheart

Posts 61 - 70 of 75