Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-392758 said: Hypothetically.
(Quote) Joseph-392758 said:

Hypothetically.

--hide--

Hypothetically... yeah. Try "hypothetically" with a woman and see where it gets you! rolling eyes

theheart

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Hypothetically... yeah. Try "hypothetically" with a woman and see where i...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Hypothetically... yeah. Try "hypothetically" with a woman and see where it gets you!

--hide--

eyepopping I didn't turn into a dragon or anything! I just answered his question. wink laughing

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Robert-864486 said: Where do we start? I've noticed a few things about the profile pictures that I think I shoul...
(Quote) Robert-864486 said:

Where do we start? I've noticed a few things about the profile pictures that I think I should share. Granted some of these may seem minor but they become magnified in the importance of first impression. When you read this post, do so in a voice that is sarcastic on the outside, but weeping for humanity on the inside. I'm not mad, but I just figured i'd share these tid bits of wisdom for those who honestly haven't given this all a second thought; because if so, here's your chance to redeem yourself!

What we're going for in a profile picture is not necessarily anything fancy, just a good honest representation of what you look like, and maybe a small detail/quirk or two to set you apart.

Where I seem to see the most pictures go astray:

1. Lighting - Probably the most common and most annoying is a picture that is too bright. Having light skin is no shame, but when you look like a white-washed fence you're bound to cause a few to keep walking on down the sidewalk. If it looks like you're looking out the window of a spaceship that's falling into the sun , then that's probably an indication for how fast my intrest in you is burning up along with it. Really what's at stake here is the simple fact that I want to see what you look like, instead of having the frustrating feeling of trying to rescue you from a snowstorm. Your face starts to turn into splotches of white and hides all the beautiful detail that makes you unique from every other person on the planet.

The antinomy of this is the picture that is too dark. Not much to say here, just like there's not much to see [ got a light?]

The synthesis of the two previous problems into one is the black and white photo. I'm sure you've realized by now, but we've been using color pictures for half a century now. When you really think about it, using a black and white photo is only dectracting from the shot, it isn't adding anything. The profile picture is not the time to get fancy, do that in the other photos you add. The first one just has to be what you look like, so let's stop pretending to be all artsy (unless art/photography really is your job or major!)

2. Acceptable # of people in a profile picture all about you - Yep, you guessed it: ONE! Not two, not one and a half, just you, the open road, and a world full of dreams and possibilities ahead. If your face looks like it's glued to somebody elses, that's probably an indicator that your life is glued to somebody else's. Even more horrifying if that's only half of a person's head. Cropping a photo won't hide the fact that you can't find a SINGLE picture of just you. Without that individualITY, i'm not sure you're an individUAL. A picture of just you says that you've got some potential space for me in there.

3. Glasses - Maybe it's because you really are getting too close to the sun, or maybe it's just because you suffered a terrible accident that left you eyeless. They say that the eyes are the window to your soul, and you've just put up some serious sun block. Comming back down to earth, you probably just were too lazy or unmindful to find or take a photo of yourself without your trusty shades. Invest in yourself to get a good shot that really shows me the beauty underneath those bug-eyed sunglasses [unless you're an entomologist who studies insects]. So please put down the sun glasses and stop trying to block the sun from getting in and let the radiance of God shine OUTWARDS from your beautiful visage. (unless of course the glasses are glued to your face, and therefore i'm getting an accurate representation of what to expect for a lifetime )

4. Funny Faces - This one isn't quite as bad as the others, but i'm inclined to think that if you don't take yourself seriously enough, how am I supposed to? If you're just a goofy type, well that's great, but again there's a better time and place to show this (in your other photos). Just an even keel emotion or smiling face is all that's required to start off, if you look terrified or grumpy that's not going to send off a good vibe either. The profile picture is the quick first impression kind of glance, and all I need is the shape of your wonderful human face, not your puffer fish impression. [Unless of course you are a marine biologist, and study such things for a living].

5. Too revealing/exposing - I hate to have to get into this one, but if you're leaning all forward into the shot with a tank top on, that's not screaming modesty to me. Either you forgot that this was a Catholic site, or you don't fully understand what that means to be a woman of God. You've got to steal yourself away before I can steal you back, and make me think it's a steal and not a hand-out! (see the barbed wire? It says STAY OUT!)

Ok just for recap. What we want again is: head/upper-body shot with just you, proper lighting, and nothing on or near your face except a smile [or grin]

Good night, God bless, and stay classy my friends ;)

--hide--

I think it's important to have a photo if nothing else so people have some idea of who they area talking to. My biggest issue is people who post photos of the themselves:

Looking like they are in abject pain

Looking miserable or bored

Looking like a mug shot

A photo that is over a year old. All profile photos should be within at least the last year.

A photo that is 10 or more years old (it doesn't reflect who you are now as much as you may think it does)

POSTING NO PHOTO is really a waste of time unless you work for the security department of the FBI or something. Why be here if you don't want to post a photo.

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-392758 said: At Melissa and Adrea,Hello! I think you can love someone and still let them know tha...

At Melissa and Adrea,

Hello! I think you can love someone and still let them know that "the sweater with the reindeer looks stupid". :) Or is there anything wrong with letting someone know that having their hair done a certain way really compliments their looks? I was thinking in particular about how some women wear make-up because they are insecure, but often times are perfectly fine if not better looking without it. Is there anything wrong with letting them know that?

--hide--

(Depends on how many people are in the computer lab.)

My thoughts, as funny as the reindeer one is - I think you may be treading close to the edge depending on what time of the month it is :) or if others are in the room laughing. Depends if she is having a good or bad day, woman are emotional. Something hilarious but personal on a bad day - can occasionally be hard. But its still a good line for your use personally.

Compliments are usually a good thing, very nice. "I think you look beautiful without makeup" - I think any girl would really like to hear that.

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-392758 said: At Melissa and Adrea,Hello! I think you can love someone and still let them know tha...

At Melissa and Adrea,

Hello! I think you can love someone and still let them know that "the sweater with the reindeer looks stupid". :) Or is there anything wrong with letting someone know that having their hair done a certain way really compliments their looks? I was thinking in particular about how some women wear make-up because they are insecure, but often times are perfectly fine if not better looking without it. Is there anything wrong with letting them know that?

--hide--

I think I see your point (feel free to clarify if need be). If you already love the person, I think it's more reasonable to tell them something doesn't look good because sometimes they wouldn't otherwise know and keep wearing, for example, the reindeer sweater that is doing nothing for them. And you already have that trust (hopefully) established and can say anything to each other. But if it's someone you are just meeting, I just think you need to do it more gently/cautiously and make your honest intentions known. Personally, I may be a bit put off at first, but often end up rethinking and appreciating someone's suggestions. I think a lot of things, in general, are not so much what you say but HOW you say it. Just my opinion smile

Posts 71 - 75 of 75