Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

ANY CLOSE CALLS.......

01/07/2013 new

whether because of injury, accident, illness or other incidents....you felt THE HAND OF GOD quite possibly intervened and saved your life? Or do you know of "close calls" with others?

I thought about the power of prayer....before writing this. (we all know of course the power of prayer here at CM)

So....I'll start it off: Once in the 8th grade I was riding my bike to football practice. I of course was in "full uniform" In fact, I did not want my helmet to dangle from the handle bars so I put in on. Carelessly I crossed a busy street and didn't see the lady in the Buick coming towards me. Her right fender caught my back wheel and tire. (she tried gallantly to stop the car but it still had momentum) I became (airborn) instantly; landing HEAD FIRST) into the curb. I wasn't even knocked out....but did FEEL highly embarassed and stupid. Though only 13 I had to calm the lady down...telling her I was okay....save the bleeding elbow! (she was a parishner in our parish) She, Mrs. "S" gave me a ride home....putting the "bent-up" bicycle in her trunk. My Mother calmed her down when the lady came up to the front porch. (they knew each other) My Father was there too. After they let her leave....I explained everything...saying "I'm okay though...and WANT to go to practice" My Mom wouldn't hear of it as she bandaged my arm. She was even mad I wanted to go. My Dad however said, "No Mama....if he says he's okay and is asking to go he must BE okay. I'll take him" So there you have it. If the car had struck any closer to the center I wouldn't have played football again; probably.

I've often thought about this incident and thanked God I was okay. Course the hit on the head probably made me dumber!! ha!

Okay....now share..

01/07/2013 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: whether because of injury, accident, illness or other incidents....you felt THE HAND OF GOD quite possibly inte...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

whether because of injury, accident, illness or other incidents....you felt THE HAND OF GOD quite possibly intervened and saved your life? Or do you know of "close calls" with others?

I thought about the power of prayer....before writing this. (we all know of course the power of prayer here at CM)

So....I'll start it off: Once in the 8th grade I was riding my bike to football practice. I of course was in "full uniform" In fact, I did not want my helmet to dangle from the handle bars so I put in on. Carelessly I crossed a busy street and didn't see the lady in the Buick coming towards me. Her right fender caught my back wheel and tire. (she tried gallantly to stop the car but it still had momentum) I became (airborn) instantly; landing HEAD FIRST) into the curb. I wasn't even knocked out....but did FEEL highly embarassed and stupid. Though only 13 I had to calm the lady down...telling her I was okay....save the bleeding elbow! (she was a parishner in our parish) She, Mrs. "S" gave me a ride home....putting the "bent-up" bicycle in her trunk. My Mother calmed her down when the lady came up to the front porch. (they knew each other) My Father was there too. After they let her leave....I explained everything...saying "I'm okay though...and WANT to go to practice" My Mom wouldn't hear of it as she bandaged my arm. She was even mad I wanted to go. My Dad however said, "No Mama....if he says he's okay and is asking to go he must BE okay. I'll take him" So there you have it. If the car had struck any closer to the center I wouldn't have played football again; probably.

I've often thought about this incident and thanked God I was okay. Course the hit on the head probably made me dumber!! ha!

Okay....now share..

--hide--

I was working in an area that was very dark. I had a flashlight and was shining it around at eye level. As I began to walk forward, something stopped me, I turned my flash light down at my feet and the next step would have been about 25 feet straight down. Where I would have landed most probably would have seriously injured if not killed me.
01/07/2013 new

(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: I was working in an area that was very dark. I had a flashlight and was shining it around at ey...
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said:

I was working in an area that was very dark. I had a flashlight and was shining it around at eye level. As I began to walk forward, something stopped me, I turned my flash light down at my feet and the next step would have been about 25 feet straight down. Where I would have landed most probably would have seriously injured if not killed me.
--hide--
Oh....my word Joanna! I have chills thinking about that one!

Thank you for sharing

01/07/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: whether because of injury, accident, illness or other incidents....you felt THE HAND OF GOD quit...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

whether because of injury, accident, illness or other incidents....you felt THE HAND OF GOD quite possibly intervened and saved your life? Or do you know of "close calls"

--hide--

I have had at least two(with a little reflection, I'm sure I can come up with more):
-had a life-threatening condition at birth(the doctors told my parents that it was 50/50 that I would survive the operation)
-was saved from severe injury/death along with my sister when we were swept away from a run-away hay wagon(I was 5, she was 3); a young woman with mental disabilities who lived with us was watching and stepped forward

01/07/2013 new

Another time I was driving my old Ford to the Jr. college I was attending. The highway I was on....was 4 lanes. Also the speed limit was 70. I was driving at least that...in the lane next to the slow lane. At one particular stretch of the road one had to "top a hill" which created a "blind" on the other side. I topped the hill along with a car to my left and one in the slow lane to the right. When I did there was a truck hauling a huge tractor doing about 30!! (he should have been in the slow lane!) I had NO time to stop instead looking quickly to the left...finding that driver to be oblivious to the horrible accident which was imminent. Gazing quickly to the right the driver was already pulling off the road and into the ditch. HE HAD SEEN what was going to happen! At the last split second I was able to navigate around the "crawling" vehicle.Several hundred yards down I pulled to the shoulder to wait and see if the other gentleman could get his car out of the ditch. He did...and pulled in behind me. I got out of my car and HUGGED him! He said, "I sure saw what was about to happen" I said, "Thanks for saving my life" Often I have thought about that man. Was he some kind of angel? I think so.

01/07/2013 new

Oh wow John....never know WHO might be the one to do the saving!~

01/07/2013 new
I have had more than one:

The first was in 1987, my soon to be ex-husband was driving and we were on our way to Tulsa, Ok. He got mixed up and we wound up going the wrong way on a four lane highway. I can still remember the sound of the eighteen wheeler honking at us. My ex kicked his pickup in reverse and we got back off that road, as the truck went past I could feel the whoosh.....

The second time was in Dec 2007, my supervisor was driving and it had been snowing. She hit black ice we did donuts in the road on bridge hitting the sides of the beige a couple of times almost going over the side before coming to a stop a couple of feet from the bridge....

The third time was in Dec 2009, I was in St Louis visiting and my friend was driving. The Ice storm was just beginning. We hit black ice and did donuts on a six lane highway, thankfully we never hit anything and both of us were fine when he regained control of the car....

My guardian angel works overtime from time to time..... scratchchin
01/07/2013 new

I have had many close calls. My family all jokes about me working my gaurdian angel over time. I will start with one from when I was really little....

My family moved into the house my mom still lives in when I was 2 1/2. My parents had decided to make the basment the play room. They had put some of our toys in there and left my older brother and sister and I to play while they moved in the furniture. The previous owners had left a large metal cabinet in one corner of the basement. The cabinet was full of glass. I manage to run into it while playing with enough force to knock the whole cabinet over. My sister started screaming but my brother who was only 3 1/2 was able to stop and hold the cabinet up enough to keep it from crushing me until my parents could get to us. They of course came running as soon as my sister started screaming. I was vitually unhurt....I think my parents said I got a few small cuts from the glass that broke around my brother and me. It took BOTH of my parents to move the cabinet, so how could a 3 1/2 year old hold it up? Only through the grace of GOD!

01/07/2013 new
I had an appt at 14th & Classen in Oklahoma City for the morning of April 19, 1995. The afternoon before my appt Monica called canceling the appt because the Archbishop of Oklahoma had called an emergency meeting. All I can say is praise God! When the bomb went off at 9:03 am, the glass imploded and I doubt there would have been survivors.
01/07/2013 new

When I was 10 I went up the hill behind our house. The neighbors dog had gotten off his chain and before I knew it the dog was attacking me. I was tall for my age but super skinny. The dog, a husky, out weighed me by several pounds. I managed to get my arm up and stay standing. All I remember is being stiff as a board and screaming. The dog was going for my throat and face but only managed to get my arm and chest (I thank god that I hadn't started developing yet). All of a sudden the dog let go and took off, I don't know if my screaming or something/someone sacred him off. My angel was definitely with me that day and may have even been the one to get the dog to run off. My injuries ended up being mild, I didn't have to have rabies shots, and the scars that I was told would be obvious for life have healed down to almost nothing. Eventhough the scar on my arm is shaped like a lightening bolt, so I would have been ok with that one staying a little bigger.
The police, doctors, and owners do not know how I was able to stay standing under the force of a dog that size.
The owner still feels guilty to this day (he knew his dog was being teased by school kids and that it did not like kids) and offers to buy me a drink or meal when he sees me around town. I always tell him no thanks, everything turned out fine and I got a cool scar out of it.

Posts 1 - 10 of 177