Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 7th 2013 new

My senior year of high school I had a before school color gaurd practice. I managed to hit myself hard in the head with my flag eyepopping (a toss that went wrong). I saw stars You get a Gold Star! By the time school started, I was feeling sick, was very tired, the room was spinning, and I had a headache. I must have looked as bad as I felt because the first period teacher sent me to the office about 10 minutes into class. The office called home and then sent me home. I lived in a neighboring town 10-15 minutes away and had drove to school that day. There was no one who could pick me up. The school told me I had to go home and make a dr appt.....They let me drive myself home! I went slow and don't remember seeing another car on the road the whole way home. My parents were not happy that they let me drive. I had a concusion and was ok in a few days.
Looking back at that through my "parent" eyes makes me shudder....all the things that could have happened but didn't...

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Also at age 6 or 7 I had pneumonia so bad I couldn't take my next breath. My Mom said I was t...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Also at age 6 or 7 I had pneumonia so bad I couldn't take my next breath. My Mom said I was turning blue! She was sitting next to the bed and my Father was standing up over us. When seeing this she immediately grabbed me up....and held me close to her chest while saying....."Blessed Mother!" Immediately my breath returned and I said..."I'm okay Mama" Course they were having none of that....and both drove me to the hospital. It was to be my first overnight stay (2 or 3 days in all) in a hospital. Lots of penicillin later I was okay. Because of my Mom's gesture....and pleas to Blessed Mother....I have always felt MOTHERS are very special people!

--hide--

My daughter had an experience like this when she was 2 only it was severe hives instead of pneumonia. I never prayed so hard in my life! The ER gave her a shot and she went to her dr the next day. And we never found out what caused the reaction. She will still randomly break out in hives but never as bad as that time.

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Angela-893980 said: My senior year of high school I had a before school color gaurd practice. I managed to hit mysel...
(Quote) Angela-893980 said:

My senior year of high school I had a before school color gaurd practice. I managed to hit myself hard in the head with my flag (a toss that went wrong). I saw stars By the time school started, I was feeling sick, was very tired, the room was spinning, and I had a headache. I must have looked as bad as I felt because the first period teacher sent me to the office about 10 minutes into class. The office called home and then sent me home. I lived in a neighboring town 10-15 minutes away and had drove to school that day. There was no one who could pick me up. The school told me I had to go home and make a dr appt.....They let me drive myself home! I went slow and don't remember seeing another car on the road the whole way home. My parents were not happy that they let me drive. I had a concusion and was ok in a few days.
Looking back at that through my "parent" eyes makes me shudder....all the things that could have happened but didn't...

--hide--
Bless your heart....and HEAD! I know what you are saying about parents. Mine used to say...."You don't know how worried you made us!" Oops!

Jan 7th 2013 new
My nickname these days is weather girl because I stay weather aware with an app on my phone. I was not always this way.....in Apr 1989 someone invited me to stay at their home because I had a fourty minute drive home and we were under a flash flood warning. At that time I did not take the warning seriously.....about an hour after leaving the office I realized what a terrible mistake I had made. I was only halfway home and the rain was so heavy I was having to drive slow.....two miles from home almost two hours after I left the office I drove through water rushing across the road halfway up my tires.....I had already been praying constantly on that drive home....I remember asking God to remain with me...surely he would watch over me the rest of the way.....there was one more low spot on the road....when I got there I found water on the left....water on the right....with just enough room for one car to pass safely.....a drive that should have taken fourty minutes took two hours. When I saw the road the next day I realized God had been working overtime the night before. Where the water had been the road was completely gone with just enough room for a single car to drive down the center of the road.... theheart
Jan 7th 2013 new

In 1988 I was running in a 10k race. (might have told this one before) I was trying to set a personal record (pr) which was done under the worst conditions imaginable. It was humid, and about 90 degrees in April! Near the end of the race in the final 200 yards I felt SO fatigued. Yet I "kicked" for that last stretch. Just before the finish line my legs felt like rubber. I collapsed...but managed to get up...and walk across. After getting across I collapsed again. (oops! heat exhaustion or worse) This time I was aided over to these tents where they treated "downed" runners. These 3 guys aided me to a stretcher and layed me down. A doctor came over and said something about "heat exhaustion" and instructed the others to "ice" me down. They were letting me drink water by leaning over...and had these huge ice cubes all over me. When he shined his light in my eyes I said..."Am I going to be okay?" He said...."Yes...but we need to hold you here for a bit till we get your CORE temperature down" I raised my head up and actually saw myself at the finish line! (talk about out of body experience!) Here I was LOOKING at myself....looking back at me! So weird! I prayed....although still felt very weak. Finally after awhile they were convinced (I guess) I was okay. They let me leave. Problem was I had to walk about 150 to 200 yards to where my best friend Glen was waiting at the front door of a restaurant. He said I walked in....looked at him...and looked away! Didn't even dawn on me it was him....or was so out of it I didn't care! Then when he said, "You need to sit down right here" I knew. I ate lunch....plus took in lots of water....and after about an HOUR was feeling okay. Why I wasn't examined at a hospital is beyond me. But I had prayed to my guardian angel that day. Guess it worked!

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: My nickname these days is weather girl because I stay weather aware with an app on my phone. I was not a...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: My nickname these days is weather girl because I stay weather aware with an app on my phone. I was not always this way.....in Apr 1989 someone invited me to stay at their home because I had a fourty minute drive home and we were under a flash flood warning. At that time I did not take the warning seriously.....about an hour after leaving the office I realized what a terrible mistake I had made. I was only halfway home and the rain was so heavy I was having to drive slow.....two miles from home almost two hours after I left the office I drove through water rushing across the road halfway up my tires.....I had already been praying constantly on that drive home....I remember asking God to remain with me...surely he would watch over me the rest of the way.....there was one more low spot on the road....when I got there I found water on the left....water on the right....with just enough room for one car to pass safely.....a drive that should have taken fourty minutes took two hours. When I saw the road the next day I realized God had been working overtime the night before. Where the water had been the road was completely gone with just enough room for a single car to drive down the center of the road....
--hide--
Thats' pretty darned miraculous Brenda!

Jan 7th 2013 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: In 1988 I was running in a 10k race. (might have told this one before) I was trying to set a personal record (p...

In 1988 I was running in a 10k race. (might have told this one before) I was trying to set a personal record (pr) which was done under the worst conditions imaginable. It was humid, and about 90 degrees in April! Near the end of the race in the final 200 yards I felt SO fatigued. Yet I "kicked" for that last stretch. Just before the finish line my legs felt like rubber. I collapsed...but managed to get up...and walk across. After getting across I collapsed again. (oops! heat exhaustion or worse) This time I was aided over to these tents where they treated "downed" runners. These 3 guys aided me to a stretcher and layed me down. A doctor came over and said something about "heat exhaustion" and instructed the others to "ice" me down. They were letting me drink water by leaning over...and had these huge ice cubes all over me. When he shined his light in my eyes I said..."Am I going to be okay?" He said...."Yes...but we need to hold you here for a bit till we get your CORE temperature down" I raised my head up and actually saw myself at the finish line! (talk about out of body experience!) Here I was LOOKING at myself....looking back at me! So weird! I prayed....although still felt very weak. Finally after awhile they were convinced (I guess) I was okay. They let me leave. Problem was I had to walk about 150 to 200 yards to where my best friend Glen was waiting at the front door of a restaurant. He said I walked in....looked at him...and looked away! Didn't even dawn on me it was him....or was so out of it I didn't care! Then when he said, "You need to sit down right here" I knew. I ate lunch....plus took in lots of water....and after about an HOUR was feeling okay. Why I wasn't examined at a hospital is beyond me. But I had prayed to my guardian angel that day. Guess it worked!

--hide--
wow....praise God you are ok!
Jan 7th 2013 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Thats' pretty darned miraculous Brenda!

Thats' pretty darned miraculous Brenda!

--hide--

I have a lot to be thankful for!
Jan 7th 2013 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: whether because of injury, accident, illness or other incidents....you felt THE HAND OF GOD quite possibly inte...

whether because of injury, accident, illness or other incidents....you felt THE HAND OF GOD quite possibly intervened and saved your life? Or do you know of "close calls" with others?

I thought about the power of prayer....before writing this. (we all know of course the power of prayer here at CM)

So....I'll start it off: Once in the 8th grade I was riding my bike to football practice. I of course was in "full uniform" In fact, I did not want my helmet to dangle from the handle bars so I put in on. Carelessly I crossed a busy street and didn't see the lady in the Buick coming towards me. Her right fender caught my back wheel and tire. (she tried gallantly to stop the car but it still had momentum) I became (airborn) instantly; landing HEAD FIRST) into the curb. I wasn't even knocked out....but did FEEL highly embarassed and stupid. Though only 13 I had to calm the lady down...telling her I was okay....save the bleeding elbow! (she was a parishner in our parish) She, Mrs. "S" gave me a ride home....putting the "bent-up" bicycle in her trunk. My Mother calmed her down when the lady came up to the front porch. (they knew each other) My Father was there too. After they let her leave....I explained everything...saying "I'm okay though...and WANT to go to practice" My Mom wouldn't hear of it as she bandaged my arm. She was even mad I wanted to go. My Dad however said, "No Mama....if he says he's okay and is asking to go he must BE okay. I'll take him" So there you have it. If the car had struck any closer to the center I wouldn't have played football again; probably.

I've often thought about this incident and thanked God I was okay. Course the hit on the head probably made me dumber!! ha!

Okay....now share..

--hide--

One Christmas my family & I were preparing to go to my grandparents house for Christmas. It was about a 3 hour drive & we had to go over a mountain pass to get there. I had a sick feeling all morning & told Mom & Dad I didn't want to go, I just didn't feel well. After arguing with me for about an hour, we finally got on our way. We were just headed over the pass, when we were stopped by the state patrol, the road ahead was closed. An accident had happened about an hour before. Several trees had fallen over the road & a couple had been killed. My parents looked at me like I was crazy. It was a horrible accident, God was definitely watching out for us that day!

Praying
Jan 7th 2013 new
When I think of my youth (often misspent) I am certain it was filled with close calls that I came through only by the grace of God, asked for I'm sure by the prayers of my Mom. But the close call I am thinking of now has a far wider reaching span than my own close calls. My Mom was just three years old when she wandered out onto a pier in Lake Hopatcong, NJ. Her parents were in the house and nobody was around. It was just one of those times when a child wanders off before there is a chance to notice. She walked off the pier into the water, sinking like a stone. By God's grace, a neighbor happened to see her fall in from inside his house and ran out and rescued her from a certain death by drowning. My Mom and Dad had eight children plus five children miscarried who are in Heaven. So thirteen lives were saved that day. Her children have had fifteen biological children so far, so twenty-eight lives were saved that day. One of her grandchildren had a son two years ago, so twenty-nine lives were saved that day. The number is certain to grow, by God's grace. The identity of that neighbor has been lost to time. One day I would love to say thank you for pulling my Mom out of that lake. Could he have possibly imagined what kind of a life would follow his lifesaving act, and how many lives she would impact in such a wonderful way? Wherever you are, thanks! Thanks for the thread Jerry. John
Posts 21 - 30 of 177