Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: When I think of my youth (often misspent) I am certain it was filled with close calls that I came through...
(Quote) John-746882 said: When I think of my youth (often misspent) I am certain it was filled with close calls that I came through only by the grace of God, asked for I'm sure by the prayers of my Mom. But the close call I am thinking of now has a far wider reaching span than my own close calls. My Mom was just three years old when she wandered out onto a pier in Lake Hopatcong, NJ. Her parents were in the house and nobody was around. It was just one of those times when a child wanders off before there is a chance to notice. She walked off the pier into the water, sinking like a stone. By God's grace, a neighbor happened to see her fall in from inside his house and ran out and rescued her from a certain death by drowning. My Mom and Dad had eight children plus five children miscarried who are in Heaven. So thirteen lives were saved that day. Her children have had fifteen biological children so far, so twenty-eight lives were saved that day. One of her grandchildren had a son two years ago, so twenty-nine lives were saved that day. The number is certain to grow, by God's grace. The identity of that neighbor has been lost to time. One day I would love to say thank you for pulling my Mom out of that lake. Could he have possibly imagined what kind of a life would follow his lifesaving act, and how many lives she would impact in such a wonderful way? Wherever you are, thanks! Thanks for the thread Jerry. John
--hide--
Oh wow! As I mentioned before....Moms are special~

When my Father was stationed in Great Britain (I've mentioned this one before) he and my Mom and older sister...maybe 2 to 3 months old had made a short life there....at least until the war (WW II) was over. His CO called him into his office one day and showed him a letter which was black embroidered. (not good news) The news was his Mother (my grandma) was days away from her death from cancer. The disease had spread to her brain. He was furloughed emergency leave to be there for her impending death and funeral. But only he. When he was shipping off on the Queen Mary he sang the song to Mom called: (I'll Be Seeing You) And off he went. He was able to see Grandma before she died. In fact, miraculously as he walked up the front porch in uniform she RECOGNIZED him. She had become very ill and her memory was gone most days. She held her arms out to him! It was a cheerful reunion...though he saw the gravity of her illness. She died and he stayed until all was over. In all...he was here stateside for maybe 2 weeks....and returned to GB...very sad. When he got on base again.. his company had shipped out to NORMANDY! (I've often thought Our Lord saved the young Father because He knew what kind of Father he'd be. And you might say my Grandmas death saved his life!) He told me years later many of his friends did not return....and those that did...were so "war-weary"....in his words: "were not boys anymore"~

Jan 8th 2013 new

The one close call that comes to mind:

I was pretty young and my boyfriend, Charlie and I went to the lake swimming. We were about the only people
at this secluded little spot and we swam out to the dock. I am not the best of swimmers by any means but he
was diving and cannonballing off the floating dock. Me, thinking I was cool, jumped off the side of course holding
my nose so the water wouldn't get up there and went down into the water....down, down, down until my feet
hit the slimy bottom. I pushed off the rocks and thought I would never make it back up to the top. It seemed
like forever and I was just on the verge of panic when I heard "just let go of your nose and use your arms
and feet" and I listened to the voice just breaking the water before I was going to gulp in a huge mouthful of
green water! I was never so thankful to breathe in all my life.

Charlie was peering over the edge and said "I was just going to jump in to save you ... you were gone for
so long" No kidding Charlie!!!!!

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: The one close call that comes to mind:I was pretty young and my boyfriend, Charlie and I...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

The one close call that comes to mind:

I was pretty young and my boyfriend, Charlie and I went to the lake swimming. We were about the only people
at this secluded little spot and we swam out to the dock. I am not the best of swimmers by any means but he
was diving and cannonballing off the floating dock. Me, thinking I was cool, jumped off the side of course holding
my nose so the water wouldn't get up there and went down into the water....down, down, down until my feet
hit the slimy bottom. I pushed off the rocks and thought I would never make it back up to the top. It seemed
like forever and I was just on the verge of panic when I heard "just let go of your nose and use your arms
and feet" and I listened to the voice just breaking the water before I was going to gulp in a huge mouthful of
green water! I was never so thankful to breathe in all my life.

Charlie was peering over the edge and said "I was just going to jump in to save you ... you were gone for
so long" No kidding Charlie!!!!!

--hide--
Oh my Eileen.....Glad you were okay

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Yeah..... HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHLEEN!
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Yeah..... HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHLEEN!

--hide--

wave Thank You Jerry and everyone heart !

So nice to be part of this nice online Catholic Community hug

Kathleen
Praying

Jan 8th 2013 new

I was in Egypt in 2010(6 months before the revolution) to help take over a hotel. I work in the hotel industry and had an extraordinary chance to go to Egypt for the first time. After working it out with my current hotel manager(this Egypt trip was working for a former VP of the company I now work for) I planned on being in Egypt for three weeks.
On the first full day there we were touring the property. We entered a construction area where it was dark. I was told that I fell down the steps into solid concrete. I had a head injury and seperated my shoulder.
I don't remember much but was told that I was in a hospital in Northern Egypt but it must not have been too good a hospital. They wanted to fly me to England but were afraid to due to the head injury. I got sent to a hospital outside Cairo which is supposedly the best hospital in all of Africa. I remember waking up and yelling at the nurse. I tried to pull the decatheder out of me. I finally calmed down when the manager who I met for the first time out there came in.
I had head surgery...pulled my skull part way out to operate..blood on my brain.....a hematoma..The following week I had surgery to repair my seperated shoulder.
Amazingly enough, I was never scared. I was angry at myself for blowing the opportunity to work in Egypt. I didn't know how serious the head injury was until I got back to the US.(sometimes ignorane is bliss) My father had gotten a call that said, "Things don't look so good".

I know that I had a lot of prayers said for me. I am grateful that I had an incredible recovery after doing rehab and had a number of doctor appointments. I feel great now and have resumed lifting weights and biking.

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Joe-259475 said: I was in Egypt in 2010(6 months before the revolution) to help take over a hotel. I work in the hot...
(Quote) Joe-259475 said:

I was in Egypt in 2010(6 months before the revolution) to help take over a hotel. I work in the hotel industry and had an extraordinary chance to go to Egypt for the first time. After working it out with my current hotel manager(this Egypt trip was working for a former VP of the company I now work for) I planned on being in Egypt for three weeks.
On the first full day there we were touring the property. We entered a construction area where it was dark. I was told that I fell down the steps into solid concrete. I had a head injury and seperated my shoulder.
I don't remember much but was told that I was in a hospital in Northern Egypt but it must not have been too good a hospital. They wanted to fly me to England but were afraid to due to the head injury. I got sent to a hospital outside Cairo which is supposedly the best hospital in all of Africa. I remember waking up and yelling at the nurse. I tried to pull the decatheder out of me. I finally calmed down when the manager who I met for the first time out there came in.
I had head surgery...pulled my skull part way out to operate..blood on my brain.....a hematoma..The following week I had surgery to repair my seperated shoulder.
Amazingly enough, I was never scared. I was angry at myself for blowing the opportunity to work in Egypt. I didn't know how serious the head injury was until I got back to the US.(sometimes ignorane is bliss) My father had gotten a call that said, "Things don't look so good".

I know that I had a lot of prayers said for me. I am grateful that I had an incredible recovery after doing rehab and had a number of doctor appointments. I feel great now and have resumed lifting weights and biking.

--hide--
Outstanding Joe! And glad you are around to tell this astonishing story! Thank you also for posting~

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: whether because of injury, accident, illness or other incidents....you felt THE HAND OF GOD quite...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

whether because of injury, accident, illness or other incidents....you felt THE HAND OF GOD quite possibly intervened and saved your life? Or do you know of "close calls" with others?

I thought about the power of prayer....before writing this. (we all know of course the power of prayer here at CM)

So....I'll start it off: Once in the 8th grade I was riding my bike to football practice. I of course was in "full uniform" In fact, I did not want my helmet to dangle from the handle bars so I put in on. Carelessly I crossed a busy street and didn't see the lady in the Buick coming towards me. Her right fender caught my back wheel and tire. (she tried gallantly to stop the car but it still had momentum) I became (airborn) instantly; landing HEAD FIRST) into the curb. I wasn't even knocked out....but did FEEL highly embarassed and stupid. Though only 13 I had to calm the lady down...telling her I was okay....save the bleeding elbow! (she was a parishner in our parish) She, Mrs. "S" gave me a ride home....putting the "bent-up" bicycle in her trunk. My Mother calmed her down when the lady came up to the front porch. (they knew each other) My Father was there too. After they let her leave....I explained everything...saying "I'm okay though...and WANT to go to practice" My Mom wouldn't hear of it as she bandaged my arm. She was even mad I wanted to go. My Dad however said, "No Mama....if he says he's okay and is asking to go he must BE okay. I'll take him" So there you have it. If the car had struck any closer to the center I wouldn't have played football again; probably.

I've often thought about this incident and thanked God I was okay. Course the hit on the head probably made me dumber!! ha!

Okay....now share..

--hide--
Christmas eve, 2011, I rode with my sister following the ambulance transport that was returning my mom to her nursing home after spending the day with family. The transport made it through a busy intersection but we were stopped at a red light behind a Nissan SUV. The light turned green and the SUV ventured into the intersection, only to be t-boned by a speeding sedan. The force spun the SUV across 6 lanes of traffic to the opposite side of the cross street. Folks were hurt in both vehicles, the SUV was totaled. We stayed long enough to give witness statements to the responding police. As we finished driving to my mom's residence I would never enter an intersection without pausing a second or two to check cross traffic. Over the course of the past year, that strategy has saved me from the same fate twice, the most recent being in late November. Both times I glanced up and mouthed a Thank you, Lord. He really does look after us, and all we have to do is listen.

Jan 8th 2013 new

Well when I was in high school I found out that I wasn't supposed to be born. Not that I was an accident, but my mom had a miscarriage and two months later found out she was pregnant with me, I was born 21 days late, and had the cord wrapped around my neck.

The only other thing that I think counts is I had a car accident five years ago. I was driving on the interstate and it was raining, we had slowed down to around 45 and the car in front of me stopped dead and went to turn through the median, from the left lane of traffic. I swerved to miss him and my car hydroplaned off the road and into a very large tree. One of my best friends was sitting in the passenger seat and she threw her arms up and we hit the tree going at least 30 but neither airbag deployed. We both walked away basically unharmed and the next day we went back to the car (which had been towed and totalled) and pulled out twelve rosaries. Someone was watching us. biggrin

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) John-146319 said: Christmas eve, 2011, I rode with my sister following the ambulance transport that was returning my...
(Quote) John-146319 said:

Christmas eve, 2011, I rode with my sister following the ambulance transport that was returning my mom to her nursing home after spending the day with family. The transport made it through a busy intersection but we were stopped at a red light behind a Nissan SUV. The light turned green and the SUV ventured into the intersection, only to be t-boned by a speeding sedan. The force spun the SUV across 6 lanes of traffic to the opposite side of the cross street. Folks were hurt in both vehicles, the SUV was totaled. We stayed long enough to give witness statements to the responding police. As we finished driving to my mom's residence I would never enter an intersection without pausing a second or two to check cross traffic. Over the course of the past year, that strategy has saved me from the same fate twice, the most recent being in late November. Both times I glanced up and mouthed a Thank you, Lord. He really does look after us, and all we have to do is listen.

--hide--
Yes He does John.....and really...he answers all the time. Thank you for posting!

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-844048 said: Well when I was in high school I found out that I wasn't supposed to be born. Not that I wa...
(Quote) Jessica-844048 said:

Well when I was in high school I found out that I wasn't supposed to be born. Not that I was an accident, but my mom had a miscarriage and two months later found out she was pregnant with me, I was born 21 days late, and had the cord wrapped around my neck.

The only other thing that I think counts is I had a car accident five years ago. I was driving on the interstate and it was raining, we had slowed down to around 45 and the car in front of me stopped dead and went to turn through the median, from the left lane of traffic. I swerved to miss him and my car hydroplaned off the road and into a very large tree. One of my best friends was sitting in the passenger seat and she threw her arms up and we hit the tree going at least 30 but neither airbag deployed. We both walked away basically unharmed and the next day we went back to the car (which had been towed and totalled) and pulled out twelve rosaries. Someone was watching us.

--hide--
Awww....thank you Jessica. Apparently guardian angels were riding with you!

Posts 41 - 50 of 177