Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 8th 2013 new
12/21/93  What do you mean the company's insurance doesn't allow me to drive anymore?  It wasn't my fault and I walked out of th

"12/21/93 What do you mean the company's insurance..."

A: CM rules say a head shot or 
B: You've always wished you could look inside a guy's head to see what makes him tick?

"A: CM rules say a head shot or B: You've always ..."

Jan 8th 2013 new
The story about your Father and Grandmother is amazing Jerry. Between your father being spared and my mom being rescued, that's a lot of lives spared. I think many parents never stop sacrificing for their children, willingly or as a part of God's greater plan. John
Jan 8th 2013 new

I was leaving work a few years ago and was going through an intersection when a car come racing through and cut me off forcing me to slow down a bit. Within the next block someone else pulled out from a side street and K-O'd that car right in front of me. I knew if he hadn't have cut me off, it would have been me. While I was waiting for the police to arrive to give my statement, I looked at the mailbox next to us and it had my last name. Weird coincidence, but not too many people have my name.

Also, one snowy night driving home, there were hundreds of accidents and cars in the ditch. Traffic was back to back and I knew it was going to be a long haul. I prayed for a safe ride home and was amazed that all around me it was like a space bubble with no car closer than 30' on any side.

Jan 8th 2013 new

May have told this one in another thread. I was once traveling to work in an Acura Integra. It was a hatchback with the hugh "window" in the back. I was moving down a service road and had to stop at a "yield" sign to allow exiting traffic off a busy freeway here in Dallas. The man in the SUV behind me (and bigger than me) did not apparently see my stopped vehicle. He was on his cell phone looking around. The speed limit was 45 on that particular road and he had to be going more than that. He did brake and went into a slide...too late. I saw all of this transpiring in my rear-view mirror. The sound was like an explosion. All of the glass showered in on me and my car was nearly shoved into the exiting cars. In fact, I broke the seat from the impact. The little car was destroyed and in pieces! I don't know how much length he took off the car but when I got out...I noticed HIS grill laying on the back floor board! Also my seat could be touched with a finger and would promptly slide all the way up and all the way back again; broken badly. As I exited and walked back towards the man he was in shock....like he couldn't believe I got out! He said, "Are you okay?" I said, "Before I answer that....what the %$#@ were you thinking?" An ambulance was called but I waved them off and rode with the wrecker driver to work....which happened to be on the way to the salvage yard. As I arrived at work I was sent home....my back and neck were hurting bad (the neck pain went away but have had back problems to this day) I still thanked the Lord I was alive. Later when I went to the salvage yard to take pictures and took a look at all the damage. As I was standing there..the man who managed the place said...."Well whoever was driving this car is dead!" I calmly looked over at him and said, "Well, I FEEL like it" His eyes were as big as saucers! Still wonder how I walked away...and have chronic back pain....but am grateful to be alive!

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: I was leaving work a few years ago and was going through an intersection when a car come racing t...
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

I was leaving work a few years ago and was going through an intersection when a car come racing through and cut me off forcing me to slow down a bit. Within the next block someone else pulled out from a side street and K-O'd that car right in front of me. I knew if he hadn't have cut me off, it would have been me. While I was waiting for the police to arrive to give my statement, I looked at the mailbox next to us and it had my last name. Weird coincidence, but not too many people have my name.

Also, one snowy night driving home, there were hundreds of accidents and cars in the ditch. Traffic was back to back and I knew it was going to be a long haul. I prayed for a safe ride home and was amazed that all around me it was like a space bubble with no car closer than 30' on any side.

--hide--
My word Kathy.....glad you are here to tell about that one!

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: The story about your Father and Grandmother is amazing Jerry. Between your father being spared and my mom...
(Quote) John-746882 said: The story about your Father and Grandmother is amazing Jerry. Between your father being spared and my mom being rescued, that's a lot of lives spared. I think many parents never stop sacrificing for their children, willingly or as a part of God's greater plan. John
--hide--
You BET it is John. Goes to show God has a PLAN for all of us~

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: whether because of injury, accident, illness or other incidents....you felt THE HAND OF GOD quite...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

whether because of injury, accident, illness or other incidents....you felt THE HAND OF GOD quite possibly intervened and saved your life? Or do you know of "close calls" with others?

I thought about the power of prayer....before writing this. (we all know of course the power of prayer here at CM)

So....I'll start it off: Once in the 8th grade I was riding my bike to football practice. I of course was in "full uniform" In fact, I did not want my helmet to dangle from the handle bars so I put in on. Carelessly I crossed a busy street and didn't see the lady in the Buick coming towards me. Her right fender caught my back wheel and tire. (she tried gallantly to stop the car but it still had momentum) I became (airborn) instantly; landing HEAD FIRST) into the curb. I wasn't even knocked out....but did FEEL highly embarassed and stupid. Though only 13 I had to calm the lady down...telling her I was okay....save the bleeding elbow! (she was a parishner in our parish) She, Mrs. "S" gave me a ride home....putting the "bent-up" bicycle in her trunk. My Mother calmed her down when the lady came up to the front porch. (they knew each other) My Father was there too. After they let her leave....I explained everything...saying "I'm okay though...and WANT to go to practice" My Mom wouldn't hear of it as she bandaged my arm. She was even mad I wanted to go. My Dad however said, "No Mama....if he says he's okay and is asking to go he must BE okay. I'll take him" So there you have it. If the car had struck any closer to the center I wouldn't have played football again; probably.

I've often thought about this incident and thanked God I was okay. Course the hit on the head probably made me dumber!! ha!

Okay....now share..

--hide--

Thirty two years ago, my youngest brother was an engineering student at Virginia Tech. He was on his way home to see our dad one last time before he died from bone cancer. He was driving at night in the pouring rain. On a winding back road he lost control of his small Opel Cadet and crashed head-on into a Virginia Power Company truck. Somehow he survived- a shattered thigh bone was his worst injury, and he still has scars on his face and hand. After visiting him in the UVA Hospital, I drove down to the small town garage to retrieve his belongings from his car. When I saw what was left of it, I just stood there and wept- no one could have suvived what I saw. The engine had been driven into the center of the passenger compartment reaching the back seat. The front of the truck stopped four inches (I measured it) inside where the windshield met the dashboard. His tennis shoe was wedged horizontally in the crumpled floorboard. No airbags back then, and he told me he wasn't wearing his seatbelt. The mechanics there were dumbfounded when I told them my brother was alive. Any remnants of doubt I had that God exists was wiped out in an instant.

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Thirty two years ago, my youngest brother was an engineering student at Virginia Tech. H...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Thirty two years ago, my youngest brother was an engineering student at Virginia Tech. He was on his way home to see our dad one last time before he died from bone cancer. He was driving at night in the pouring rain. On a winding back road he lost control of his small Opel Cadet and crashed head-on into a Virginia Power Company truck. Somehow he survived- a shattered thigh bone was his worst injury, and he still has scars on his face and hand. After visiting him in the UVA Hospital, I drove down to the small town garage to retrieve his belongings from his car. When I saw what was left of it, I just stood there and wept- no one could have suvived what I saw. The engine had been driven into the center of the passenger compartment reaching the back seat. The front of the truck stopped four inches (I measured it) inside where the windshield met the dashboard. His tennis shoe was wedged horizontally in the crumpled floorboard. No airbags back then, and he told me he wasn't wearing his seatbelt. The mechanics there were dumbfounded when I told them my brother was alive. Any remnants of doubt I had that God exists was wiped out in an instant.

--hide--
Oh....Peter WOW! How miraculous. I have those chills again......

Jan 8th 2013 new

When I lived in Virginia Beach a few years back I had gotten sick. I talked to my mom that morning and told her I thought I was going to go to a prompt care because I felt like I was severely dehydrated. She told me to drink water and "toughen up". I drove my ex-fiancee to the airport later that morning and decided I'd go to the doc in a box on my way to work. When I got there - they tried to take my blood pressure and couldn't find it. The girl in triage said they were going to call an ambulance and I insisted I would drive myself to the ER.

Which I did. After a two hour wait in the ER they finally brought me to triage. When they were finally able to find my BP it was 42/24. After several tests and lots of blood-work they said I had a bacterial infection that caused me to go into renal failure and cause my liver to begin to shut down.

I had gotten the bacterial infection from my job (which is another long story, too) and the infection had settled in my kidneys.

I spent several days in isolation and ICU all alone... over 1,000 miles from my family in a very unfamiliar city.

To this day I'm not sure what was worse.. having to go thru it all alone - or all the tests and losing all sense of dignity with all of the care taking by the hospital staff.

Jan 9th 2013 new

I was driving my car one day when suddenly the engine roared and my head flew back against the head rest. The car rapidly accelerated and I was up to 80 mph in a very short time, on a 45 mph road entering busy downtown Kansas City, Mo. The speed kept increasing. I wondered for a second if a car can be possessed. The brakes would not respond, I was in a panic and couldn't think straight about down shifting or going into neutral. It was an automatic. I grabbed a relatively isolated exit and parked on a grassy median. Later when they came to get the car, the truck driver turned on the ignition and he said the throttle was completely open. I am told this is called Sudden Unexpected Acceleration and has been occurring for years in a variety of makes and models. The auto yard for ins. companies here in Kansas City, Ks. receives about three cars a week with this problem. I was told I didn't turn the key correctly, should have lost my steering and, it is inexplicable how I came out without a wreck. I was especially grateful my four children were not with me.

About a year ago, I drove a pickup truck to get some furniture for my daughter in law. The drive home via highway was 70 mph. Just as I pull in my drive and stop about 2 inches from the hitch of the boat that sits in the drive, the brake pedal goes clear to the floor, I hear a waterful sound and smoke comes out the front of the truck. At the very moment I parked, the brakes had gone out. The tow truck driver said he had never seen brakes completely gone like that, front and back. Had I been driving when it happened, he said there was absolutely nothing to stop with.

Yes, if you are in the Kansas City area, let me know and I will warn you when I am getting on the road so you can stay home....I joke but I am very grateful due to both events.

Posts 51 - 60 of 177