Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

01/09/2013 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: I was driving my car one day when suddenly the engine roared and my head flew back against the head...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said:

I was driving my car one day when suddenly the engine roared and my head flew back against the head rest. The car rapidly accelerated and I was up to 80 mph in a very short time, on a 45 mph road entering busy downtown Kansas City, Mo. The speed kept increasing. I wondered for a second if a car can be possessed. The brakes would not respond, I was in a panic and couldn't think straight about down shifting or going into neutral. It was an automatic. I grabbed a relatively isolated exit and parked on a grassy median. Later when they came to get the car, the truck driver turned on the ignition and he said the throttle was completely open. I am told this is called Sudden Unexpected Acceleration and has been occurring for years in a variety of makes and models. The auto yard for ins. companies here in Kansas City, Ks. receives about three cars a week with this problem. I was told I didn't turn the key correctly, should have lost my steering and, it is inexplicable how I came out without a wreck. I was especially grateful my four children were not with me.

About a year ago, I drove a pickup truck to get some furniture for my daughter in law. The drive home via highway was 70 mph. Just as I pull in my drive and stop about 2 inches from the hitch of the boat that sits in the drive, the brake pedal goes clear to the floor, I hear a waterful sound and smoke comes out the front of the truck. At the very moment I parked, the brakes had gone out. The tow truck driver said he had never seen brakes completely gone like that, front and back. Had I been driving when it happened, he said there was absolutely nothing to stop with.

Yes, if you are in the Kansas City area, let me know and I will warn you when I am getting on the road so you can stay home....I joke but I am very grateful due to both events.

--hide--
Meg, in both cases you kept your head and avoided serious injury to yourself and others. I'm stickin' with my stick shift!

01/09/2013 new

A priest I know in Mexico once addressed this issue in his sermon. To paraphrase, the father told us that on those days when we encounter frustrating delays such as lost keys, forgetting something and having to return to home, hitting every red light on your way to work, or simply having to wait an extra minute or two, give some consideration to the fact that our Lord foresaw an event that would negatively impact your life and arranged events to occur that allowed you to avoid it altogether. Father added, "And don't think it's always about you. Maybe God delayed you to protect another." laughing

01/09/2013 new

I'm not sure if this is comprable but....

A few years ago, I'd had a slumber party, and the next night was driving two friends home. Well, there was a monster blizzard (anyone remember, Snowmageddon, 2010?) and I could hardly see out my windshield, it was pitch black out, you couldn't see 10 feet ahead of you. After about 15 minutes of driving, (nobody else was stupid enough to be out) I said "I have to clean the wipers off, they're not doing a thing covered in ice!" and pulled over into (what I knew but couldn't see was) a small parking lot. As soon as I got off the main road (4lanes) and before I could even put it into park, my car died. No lights, no door ajar beep, absolutely nothing. I got my flashlight and popped the hood: the screw holding the battery terminal had fallen off, not under the car- it looked long gone, and there had been nothing holding the connecter onto the battery!! As soon as I realized what had happened, a caravan of snowplows barralled down all four lanes. There is no way they would have been able to see my car in the pitch black, if it had died in the road.

I thank my guardian angel for keeping me and my friends safe that night and that my car held on just long enough angel

01/10/2013 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: I was driving my car one day when suddenly the engine roared and my head flew back against the head...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said:

I was driving my car one day when suddenly the engine roared and my head flew back against the head rest. The car rapidly accelerated and I was up to 80 mph in a very short time, on a 45 mph road entering busy downtown Kansas City, Mo. The speed kept increasing. I wondered for a second if a car can be possessed. The brakes would not respond, I was in a panic and couldn't think straight about down shifting or going into neutral. It was an automatic. I grabbed a relatively isolated exit and parked on a grassy median. Later when they came to get the car, the truck driver turned on the ignition and he said the throttle was completely open. I am told this is called Sudden Unexpected Acceleration and has been occurring for years in a variety of makes and models. The auto yard for ins. companies here in Kansas City, Ks. receives about three cars a week with this problem. I was told I didn't turn the key correctly, should have lost my steering and, it is inexplicable how I came out without a wreck. I was especially grateful my four children were not with me.

About a year ago, I drove a pickup truck to get some furniture for my daughter in law. The drive home via highway was 70 mph. Just as I pull in my drive and stop about 2 inches from the hitch of the boat that sits in the drive, the brake pedal goes clear to the floor, I hear a waterful sound and smoke comes out the front of the truck. At the very moment I parked, the brakes had gone out. The tow truck driver said he had never seen brakes completely gone like that, front and back. Had I been driving when it happened, he said there was absolutely nothing to stop with.

Yes, if you are in the Kansas City area, let me know and I will warn you when I am getting on the road so you can stay home....I joke but I am very grateful due to both events.

--hide--
Oh my! You must be on great terms with your guardian angel!

01/10/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-583970 said: I'm not sure if this is comprable but....A few years ago, I'd had a slumber party,...
(Quote) Mary-583970 said:

I'm not sure if this is comprable but....

A few years ago, I'd had a slumber party, and the next night was driving two friends home. Well, there was a monster blizzard (anyone remember, Snowmageddon, 2010?) and I could hardly see out my windshield, it was pitch black out, you couldn't see 10 feet ahead of you. After about 15 minutes of driving, (nobody else was stupid enough to be out) I said "I have to clean the wipers off, they're not doing a thing covered in ice!" and pulled over into (what I knew but couldn't see was) a small parking lot. As soon as I got off the main road (4lanes) and before I could even put it into park, my car died. No lights, no door ajar beep, absolutely nothing. I got my flashlight and popped the hood: the screw holding the battery terminal had fallen off, not under the car- it looked long gone, and there had been nothing holding the connecter onto the battery!! As soon as I realized what had happened, a caravan of snowplows barralled down all four lanes. There is no way they would have been able to see my car in the pitch black, if it had died in the road.

I thank my guardian angel for keeping me and my friends safe that night and that my car held on just long enough

--hide--
You were indeed being "watched over" Mary

01/10/2013 new

When I was 24 or 25....a friend of mine and i went to another friend's farm to hunt and shoot our guns. He had been "reloading" ammo for a short time and made some for me. We had finished hunting and were then shooting at cans. On about the 4th shot as I was aiming....the gun "kicked" enormously (way more than usual) I looked down wondering what the heck was going on. I was astonished to find the whole UPPER HALF of the gun was gone! The spent cartridge was laying exposed....in the half cylinder. It was completely laid open! The explosion which took place was the bullet expoding upward. I was untouched! Even my friend was looking me and turning me around. He just knew I had been hit!

He was also mortified. He knew the "jackets" were either compromised/weak....or he did not have the head of the shell down tight enough or not on correctly!

I kept that gun for many years to tell folks the story...and lost it in one of the moves....but I STILL shutter at this one!

01/10/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: When I was 24 or 25....a friend of mine and i went to another friend's farm to hunt and shoot...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

When I was 24 or 25....a friend of mine and i went to another friend's farm to hunt and shoot our guns. He had been "reloading" ammo for a short time and made some for me. We had finished hunting and were then shooting at cans. On about the 4th shot as I was aiming....the gun "kicked" enormously (way more than usual) I looked down wondering what the heck was going on. I was astonished to find the whole UPPER HALF of the gun was gone! The spent cartridge was laying exposed....in the half cylinder. It was completely laid open! The explosion which took place was the bullet expoding upward. I was untouched! Even my friend was looking me and turning me around. He just knew I had been hit!

He was also mortified. He knew the "jackets" were either compromised/weak....or he did not have the head of the shell down tight enough or not on correctly!

I kept that gun for many years to tell folks the story...and lost it in one of the moves....but I STILL shutter at this one!

--hide--

My word, Jerry. You must have nine lives and then some!

01/10/2013 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: My word, Jerry. You must have nine lives and then some!
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

My word, Jerry. You must have nine lives and then some!

--hide--
He does seem to have a lot of harrowing stories. shocked

01/10/2013 new

I grew up in the Texas Panhandle where we get a lot of snow. When I was a senior in High School, some friends and I made a sled out of an old truck hood, and pulled it on some farm-to-market roads on the ice/snow. The driver lost control of the pickup, and went into the ditch while the sled whipped around the front of the pickup. Me and the other guy were thrown from the sled, and when the pickup got back onto the road the front wheels ran over the now empty sled. I am quite sure my guardian angel intervened on that one.

01/10/2013 new

(Quote) Daniel-634934 said: I grew up in the Texas Panhandle where we get a lot of snow. When I was a senior in High School,...
(Quote) Daniel-634934 said:

I grew up in the Texas Panhandle where we get a lot of snow. When I was a senior in High School, some friends and I made a sled out of an old truck hood, and pulled it on some farm-to-market roads on the ice/snow. The driver lost control of the pickup, and went into the ditch while the sled whipped around the front of the pickup. Me and the other guy were thrown from the sled, and when the pickup got back onto the road the front wheels ran over the now empty sled. I am quite sure my guardian angel intervened on that one.

--hide--
Wow Daniel! All of these events/stories are reminders to all of us just WHO is in charge....

Posts 61 - 70 of 177