Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

01/10/2013 new
1992 my brother and sister on their way to church. My brother was driving the van.

While passing a historical street, for some reason a huge sand stone wall fell down on the street.The van was totally covered with the huge sandstone pieces.

I use to live in the same street where the incident happened. When i heard the weird noise i ran outside to see what happened. People was out their stores guessing if any car was passing when some people said they think they saw a car passing at the moment of the incident. I had no clue that my brother and sister were there.

It was night time, Firefighters and Red Cross were trying to find if anyone was there. When they heard the voice of my brother asking for help.

What happened was the four van tires were broken and widely opened and the van bottom landed on the ground, the top of the van was smashed reaching the bottom, except where my brother and sister were sitting. Over my sister head the top almost reached her head and her head was laying down on the seat while she was on her knees (Like in some rare occasions, not having the seat belts on also helped to save them wink ) my brother was still sitting in place and squished little bit down, if there was a seat between them and someone on it they would be crashed. My brother was barely able to reach my sisters hand and hold it (i can't remember without crying) My sister wasn't able to breathe from the dust of the sandstone the red cross guys passed the oxygen to her while the firefighters used a disk saw to cut the top of the van. My brother came out, people told me later, with the rosary in one hand and cleaning his pockets from the broken glasses with his other hand. I was shocked knowing that the people i was praying for them to be safe were my sister and brother. I can't believe seeing them walking toward me safe with no scratch and no bruise hug. We all went home and came back with our parents to church to pray and thank God for the miracle. Praying rosary theheart
01/10/2013 new

(Quote) Therese-668052 said: 1992 my brother and sister on their way to church. My brother was driving the van. While passi...
(Quote) Therese-668052 said: 1992 my brother and sister on their way to church. My brother was driving the van.

While passing a historical street, for some reason a huge sand stone wall fell down on the street.The van was totally covered with the huge sandstone pieces.

I use to live in the same street where the incident happened. When i heard the weird noise i ran outside to see what happened. People was out their stores guessing if any car was passing when some people said they think they saw a car passing at the moment of the incident. I had no clue that my brother and sister were there.

It was night time, Firefighters and Red Cross were trying to find if anyone was there. When they heard the voice of my brother asking for help.

What happened was the four van tires were broken and widely opened and the van bottom landed on the ground, the top of the van was smashed reaching the bottom, except where my brother and sister were sitting. Over my sister head the top almost reached her head and her head was laying down on the seat while she was on her knees (Like in some rare occasions, not having the seat belts on also helped to save them ) my brother was still sitting in place and squished little bit down, if there was a seat between them and someone on it they would be crashed. My brother was barely able to reach my sisters hand and hold it (i can't remember without crying) My sister wasn't able to breathe from the dust of the sandstone the red cross guys passed the oxygen to her while the firefighters used a disk saw to cut the top of the van. My brother came out, people told me later, with the rosary in one hand and cleaning his pockets from the broken glasses with his other hand. I was shocked knowing that the people i was praying for them to be safe were my sister and brother. I can't believe seeing them walking toward me safe with no scratch and no bruise . We all went home and came back with our parents to church to pray and thank God for the miracle.
--hide--
OMG Therese! Wow. Well goes to show God truly does work in mysterious ways!

01/10/2013 new

One time my youngest son and three friends were out at a club. The area of town they were in.....was not the best. Matter of fact, I questioned him....though he was already 30 at the time. I said "There is violence down there all the time" He said, "I don't need to hear it Dad...but I DO know not to go back."

Apparently the four were trying to break up an altercation which ended up being outside. My son's friend who was the driver of their car....said, "Let's go....this is bad news" So they went to the car where it was parked across the parking lot. One of Mark's good friends was in the back seat with him. (with his friend seated on the side closest to the club) He happened to look back at the club where a man was aiming a pistol at them! His friend was staring forward and Mark said, "Look out!" (while forcing "D's" head down as he ducked too) A bullet sailed straight through the rear passenger window and out the one on his side! My son indicated the trajectory was right where their heads would be....had they been sitting up! I was proud of him for what he did....but was NOT happy at all they were down there. They went to the authorities....but I don't think ANY arrests were made. This story really GETS me nervous! Thanks be to God....Mark and his friends were not hurt~

01/10/2013 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: In 1988 I was running in a 10k race. (might have told this one before) I was trying to set a personal record (p...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

In 1988 I was running in a 10k race. (might have told this one before) I was trying to set a personal record (pr) which was done under the worst conditions imaginable. It was humid, and about 90 degrees in April! Near the end of the race in the final 200 yards I felt SO fatigued. Yet I "kicked" for that last stretch. Just before the finish line my legs felt like rubber. I collapsed...but managed to get up...and walk across. After getting across I collapsed again. (oops! heat exhaustion or worse) This time I was aided over to these tents where they treated "downed" runners. These 3 guys aided me to a stretcher and layed me down. A doctor came over and said something about "heat exhaustion" and instructed the others to "ice" me down. They were letting me drink water by leaning over...and had these huge ice cubes all over me. When he shined his light in my eyes I said..."Am I going to be okay?" He said...."Yes...but we need to hold you here for a bit till we get your CORE temperature down" I raised my head up and actually saw myself at the finish line! (talk about out of body experience!) Here I was LOOKING at myself....looking back at me! So weird! I prayed....although still felt very weak. Finally after awhile they were convinced (I guess) I was okay. They let me leave. Problem was I had to walk about 150 to 200 yards to where my best friend Glen was waiting at the front door of a restaurant. He said I walked in....looked at him...and looked away! Didn't even dawn on me it was him....or was so out of it I didn't care! Then when he said, "You need to sit down right here" I knew. I ate lunch....plus took in lots of water....and after about an HOUR was feeling okay. Why I wasn't examined at a hospital is beyond me. But I had prayed to my guardian angel that day. Guess it worked!

--hide--

Wow your life is full of excitement smile Praying Prayers always help!
01/10/2013 new

(Quote) Therese-668052 said: Wow your life is full of excitement Prayers always help!
(Quote) Therese-668052 said:

Wow your life is full of excitement Prayers always help!
--hide--
Never a dull moment Therese!

01/10/2013 new

One day years ago, I could smell something burning. I looked around the house trying to find the smell. Upstairs, in my oldest son's room smoke was coming from his pillowcase. He was sound asleep with his head on the pillow. He had a clamp on reading lamp attached to headboard, it had slipped down and the light bulb was burning a hole in the pillowcase. I am so grateful I was there and have a sensitive nose.

01/10/2013 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: One day years ago, I could smell something burning. I looked around the house trying to find the sm...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said:

One day years ago, I could smell something burning. I looked around the house trying to find the smell. Upstairs, in my oldest son's room smoke was coming from his pillowcase. He was sound asleep with his head on the pillow. He had a clamp on reading lamp attached to headboard, it had slipped down and the light bulb was burning a hole in the pillowcase. I am so grateful I was there and have a sensitive nose.

--hide--

Meg,
Your story reminded me of the time a strange smell was coming from my daughter's bedroom. She was only about 5 at the time. I pretty much gutted her room looking for the source, but no luck. I finally put her to bed, but still had this nagging feeling something wasn't right. I went hack in one last time and got on my hands and knees to look around. I found nothing but my dog, a husky, stood looking at her dresser and wouldn't move. As I followed his gaze, I noticed a thin trail of smoke coming from behind it. The window air conditioner down the hall had caused electricity to arc in her outlet. The smell was burning plastic. I hate to think of what would have happened had I not gone back to check. We would have had a fire in the wall and could have quite easily lost everything and everyone. I was so grateful for my dog (which is God spelled backwards) and God for not letting me ignore that feeling.

01/10/2013 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: Meg,Your story reminded me of the time a strange smell was coming from my daughter...
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

Meg,
Your story reminded me of the time a strange smell was coming from my daughter's bedroom. She was only about 5 at the time. I pretty much gutted her room looking for the source, but no luck. I finally put her to bed, but still had this nagging feeling something wasn't right. I went hack in one last time and got on my hands and knees to look around. I found nothing but my dog, a husky, stood looking at her dresser and wouldn't move. As I followed his gaze, I noticed a thin trail of smoke coming from behind it. The window air conditioner down the hall had caused electricity to arc in her outlet. The smell was burning plastic. I hate to think of what would have happened had I not gone back to check. We would have had a fire in the wall and could have quite easily lost everything and everyone. I was so grateful for my dog (which is God spelled backwards) and God for not letting me ignore that feeling.

--hide--

Hi Kathy,

On a follow up to your story and Meg's, when we were teenagers, all three of us girls shared one closet. It was in the summer and Mom had
a huge air conditioner in the living room window that cooled off that room and all three bedrooms (somewhat anyway). We had been outside
and when one of us went in through the french door that separated the kitchen from the rest of the house, it was quite smokey. She called
the fire department and they came likitisplit and said the only thing they could find that was a fire hazard was our closet! laughing They never did
find the actual cause but did suggest that the air conditioner was working overtime!

As a note, I have read all of these stories and am amazed at the amount of close calls people have had. I want to say that alot of people say
I was lucky, it was my lucky day, good thing I had my rabbit's foot, the sun was shining on me today but all of us here on CM know that it is
God's miracles, small and huge, that have saved us from dread. I am comforted with my faith but enlightened that so many people give God
credit through guardian angels or whatever source He has at hand to help us through our lives. We are all so blessed.

01/10/2013 new
In March 2007 on the friday that was the end of spring break my son accidentally pulled in front of another car & his car was t-boned. Thank goodness he was in a Mercury Grand Marquis because his car was crushed with barely enough room for his behind on the seat. Emergency personal had to use the jaws of life to extract him from the wreck. The other people had minor injuries. Andrew ended up with a cracked hip, glass in his face & had to spend three months in a wheel chair....that was a very difficult year for me....

Ironically in March 2011 two months before I lost my son I kept having a recurring dream that was very close to what happened when I lost my son. I tried talking to him about my dreams but he only pushed me away....now my prayers are that I can continue on my healing of memories......
01/11/2013 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: One day years ago, I could smell something burning. I looked around the house trying to find the sm...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said:

--hide--
Oh wow! Meg that was a close one! Call Mother's intuition too!

Posts 71 - 80 of 177