Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 10th 2013 new

My parents are divorced, sadly sad, and aren't annulled (yet!), but thankfully, they are still friends biggrin . Anyway, my mom was waiting tables in our home town the summer before her freshman year of college, and my dad was a junior home on summer break.

Our families had known each other for a long time. Dad's cousin was a high school classmate of my maternal grandmother, and his sister was a high school classmate of my mother.

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Yep! In fact Eileen their pastor lived next door to them and KNEW when their 60th came around whi...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Yep! In fact Eileen their pastor lived next door to them and KNEW when their 60th came around which was on a Saturday. He knew they always went to the 5:30 Mass and had that Mass as his assignment that evening. When Mass was about over he gave the announcements. He then said, "Oh, one more. You know it is not often a couple can celebrate 40 or 50 years of marriage. But I happen to live next door to "B" and "A" (while pulling a dozen red roses from behind the altar that he had stashed!) who are celebrating 60 years today!" He then walked all the way down from the altar and in front of the entire congregation and handed them the roses as everyone was now STANDING and clapping! He hugged my Father and kissed my Mother. They were of course "blown away" I was too! Was with them. I'll never forget those goose bumps! And I'll never forget what Father did who was so upset when our family lost them. Of course he did the funerals. I remember also a lady parishioner coming up to my Mom and saying, "My word 60 years "A"? I had NO idea. You look so darn good...what did you marry when you were 5?!!!"

--hide--

You have very heartwarming and tear jerking stories. I love hearing "happy ever after" as I would like to believe one day that I would be that princess.

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-864455 said: My parents are divorced, sadly , and aren't annulled (yet!), but thankfully, they are still ...
(Quote) Andrea-864455 said:

My parents are divorced, sadly , and aren't annulled (yet!), but thankfully, they are still friends . Anyway, my mom was waiting tables in our home town the summer before her freshman year of college, and my dad was a junior home on summer break.

Our families had known each other for a long time. Dad's cousin was a high school classmate of my maternal grandmother, and his sister was a high school classmate of my mother.

--hide--

Hi Andrea,

As I was told about a year ago, some relationships are for a season, some for a reason, and some for a lifetime. I am sorry about your
parents and I hope they share some wonderful memories regarding their time together. The thread of life goes on sewing....

Eileen

Jan 10th 2013 new

I believe my father was dating my mother's college roommate. I keep looking for the right time to squeeze them for the juicy details as to how Dad was able to successfully make the switch... scratchchin

Jan 10th 2013 new

Great topic Eileen!

They first met at a dance. Dad was 20 and Mom was 15, and they shared a dance. He wrote her name down in a journal he'd been keeping, or at least he thought he did. Her name was Colette, but he wrote Cliff. They were not to see each other again for a while. Dad joined the Army and served for a couple years, then came back. One night Colette got invited to a boat party on the South Street seaport, on a boat called the Nassau. She didn't want to go alone, and couldn't convince her friend to go with her. Colette said to her friend, "Come on! You never know who you're going to meet!" So her friend gave in and they went.

Dad, just back from the Army would be at the Nassau boat party too. He spotted Colette from across the room, and made a beeline to her. She didn't remember the dance they had (not right away anyway), but he did. Even though they only had one dance some years earlier, he remembered.

"You never know who you're going to meet!"

Jan 10th 2013 new
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Kids are so innocent...you have to love them! Sweet!
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

Kids are so innocent...you have to love them! Sweet!

--hide--

LOL Her Sister was three years older than her so she would have been 19 at the time & I think my Mom wanted to choke her..... laughing laughing laughing
Jan 10th 2013 new
(Quote) Laura-896845 said: I believe my father was dating my mother's college roommate. I keep looking for the right time to squeeze t...
(Quote) Laura-896845 said:

I believe my father was dating my mother's college roommate. I keep looking for the right time to squeeze them for the juicy details as to how Dad was able to successfully make the switch...

--hide--
Your kidding Laura! Your mother never spilled the details? Secrets....must be some juicy details there. Maybe you could drop some hints and see who talks first.
Jan 10th 2013 new
My Grandad on my Dads side of the family was a identical twin....when my Grandma talked about my GrandDad she always said Don smelled better than John....what???? eww faint
Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Hi Everyone, I am always interested in this subject as I am a hopeless romantic....
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

Hi Everyone,

I am always interested in this subject as I am a hopeless romantic.

My mother was here in the United States from Ireland for a short time and working in the Bakery in the North End of town.
Alot of her friends were Polish and asked her to come with them one night to the Polish Club. My Dad was there with his
mother (yes! that's right!) and he spotted her and turned to her and said "Do you see that girl over there with the white
skin? I am going to marry her". They met several times at the Club and he offered to drive her and a few of her friends home
so she made sure she was the first one out and gave him a wrong address but walking distance from her apartment. And
that was the beginning.....

Do you have a story you would like to share? People meet in the darndest places. I can't wait to hear your parents story!

Eileen

--hide--

The official story is my parents met at Church Camp.

The really story is they met on the cruise....no not a boat...people driving around aimlessly on the streets...that's what they did in the 60's I guess...

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: Great topic Eileen!They first met at a dance. Dad was 20 and Mom was 15, and they sha...
(Quote) John-746882 said:

Great topic Eileen!

They first met at a dance. Dad was 20 and Mom was 15, and they shared a dance. He wrote her name down in a journal he'd been keeping, or at least he thought he did. Her name was Colette, but he wrote Cliff. They were not to see each other again for a while. Dad joined the Army and served for a couple years, then came back. One night Colette got invited to a boat party on the South Street seaport, on a boat called the Nassau. She didn't want to go alone, and couldn't convince her friend to go with her. Colette said to her friend, "Come on! You never know who you're going to meet!" So her friend gave in and they went.

Dad, just back from the Army would be at the Nassau boat party too. He spotted Colette from across the room, and made a beeline to her. She didn't remember the dance they had (not right away anyway), but he did. Even though they only had one dance some years earlier, he remembered.

"You never know who you're going to meet!"

--hide--
That is a great story John how time passes quietly but memories are LOUD and clear. Do you ever wish you could remeet someone who left an impression on you?

Posts 31 - 40 of 128