Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 10th 2013 new
(Quote) Joanne-846477 said: My mom was born in Slovakia and came to Canada with her family when she was 5 years old. They settled in Cent...
(Quote) Joanne-846477 said:

My mom was born in Slovakia and came to Canada with her family when she was 5 years old. They settled in Central Alberta.

My dad was born in Northern Minnesota to a couple who each immigrated from Slovakia to the US on their own.

Looking in a Slovak paper, my dad's mom found another Slovakian woman she could be penpals with living in Central Alberta. These 2 women decided to meet, so of course their children met also.

Mom and Dad started writing, and when Mom's family drove to Pennsylvania to visit other relatives, they'd stop for a visit on the way. Dad proposed to Mom one late summer, and Mom said yes,... but only if they got married before Christmas. They were married on Dec 27, and we just celebrated their 60th Anniversary.

+ =

--hide--
How beautiful Joanne! Does God have a hand in your life? Yes He does! Thank you for sharing.
Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Do you have a story you would like to share? People meet in the darndest places. I can't wai...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

Do you have a story you would like to share? People meet in the darndest places. I can't wait to hear your parents story!

--hide--

My Mom grew up on a farm in Indiana. When she was about 20 she bought a one-way ticket to Austin, Tx. She didn't know anyone there so she got a room at the YWCA. My dad grew up in Chicago. He enlisted in the AirForce at 19, and after 2 years in Japan was stationed at Bergstrom AFB in Austin, TX. They met at a YWCA dance and married 3 months later. They were married almost 55 years. My dad passed away 2 years ago today. Please pray for my mom.

Jan 11th 2013 new

My parents met at the bar.

My grandmother and my dad were captains of opposing dart teams. My mom filled in on my grandmothers team. Afterward, my grandmother had an afterparty at her apartment, where my dad crashed. My mom found his wallet in the couch the next day while cleaning, and when she returned it to him they started dating :)

Jan 11th 2013 new

My mom worked for the city clerks office and my dad drove truck. My dad was in there on business and noticed mom. He was worried about asking her out because mom looked so young. And when he did ask, he didn't know if she was old enough to drink or not. They were married for 28 yrs. And mom has never even thought about dating since he died.

Jan 11th 2013 new

In an elevator in Chicago, but my Father was from Kentucky ... a LDR.

Jan 11th 2013 new

Mom's boss in Detroit owned a vacation cabin in upper Michigan (Sault Ste. Marie), and every year would close his Dr's office for a week and give the staff (all girls) a vacation up there.

Dad was a butcher and delivered meat to the cabin caretakers, who knew and liked him. They called to place an order so he could come meet Mom - thougt they'd make a good couple. (Tthey didn't tell either Mom or Dad that it was a set up.) Dad had been out drinking the night before with his buddies and admitted years later he'd been terribly hung over that whole day.

Dad met Mom and the other girls, then called his buddies to come join the party. Dad said he was smitten from the start, but Mom said he kept calling her Barbara the whole night. (Her name is Marian, there was no Barbara there.) 4 months later they were engaged, and married 5 months after that. 5 children and 13 grandchildren later, they were married 52 years when Dad passed away.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-910908 said: My Mom grew up on a farm in Indiana. When she was about 20 she bought a one-way ticket to...
(Quote) Lisa-910908 said:

My Mom grew up on a farm in Indiana. When she was about 20 she bought a one-way ticket to Austin, Tx. She didn't know anyone there so she got a room at the YWCA. My dad grew up in Chicago. He enlisted in the AirForce at 19, and after 2 years in Japan was stationed at Bergstrom AFB in Austin, TX. They met at a YWCA dance and married 3 months later. They were married almost 55 years. My dad passed away 2 years ago today. Please pray for my mom.

--hide--

Brave girl your Mom. I am hearing alot of stories about parents meeting at dances. That is so quaint! I imagine that was the venue for people to socialize. Sorry about your dad Lisa and I will remember your mom in my prayers.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-583970 said: My parents met at the bar. My grandmother and my dad were captains of opposing dar...
(Quote) Mary-583970 said:

My parents met at the bar.

My grandmother and my dad were captains of opposing dart teams. My mom filled in on my grandmothers team. Afterward, my grandmother had an afterparty at her apartment, where my dad crashed. My mom found his wallet in the couch the next day while cleaning, and when she returned it to him they started dating :)

--hide--

Everyone has a talent Mary! Mine was never darts.....watch out everyone. You are all targets!!! Good story.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Angela-893980 said: My mom worked for the city clerks office and my dad drove truck. My dad was in there on business...
(Quote) Angela-893980 said:

My mom worked for the city clerks office and my dad drove truck. My dad was in there on business and noticed mom. He was worried about asking her out because mom looked so young. And when he did ask, he didn't know if she was old enough to drink or not. They were married for 28 yrs. And mom has never even thought about dating since he died.

--hide--

Out of curiosity, was your mother as young as he thought? It sounds as if they had a wonderful life!

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Bob-59786 said: In an elevator in Chicago, but my Father was from Kentucky ... a LDR.
(Quote) Bob-59786 said:

In an elevator in Chicago, but my Father was from Kentucky ... a LDR.

--hide--

My imagination is working overtime Bob! Explain!!!

Posts 61 - 70 of 128