Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

01/11/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-363093 said: Mom's boss in Detroit owned a vacation cabin in upper Michigan (Sault Ste. Marie), and every y...
(Quote) Mary-363093 said:

Mom's boss in Detroit owned a vacation cabin in upper Michigan (Sault Ste. Marie), and every year would close his Dr's office for a week and give the staff (all girls) a vacation up there.

Dad was a butcher and delivered meat to the cabin caretakers, who knew and liked him. They called to place an order so he could come meet Mom - thougt they'd make a good couple. (Tthey didn't tell either Mom or Dad that it was a set up.) Dad had been out drinking the night before with his buddies and admitted years later he'd been terribly hung over that whole day.

Dad met Mom and the other girls, then called his buddies to come join the party. Dad said he was smitten from the start, but Mom said he kept calling her Barbara the whole night. (Her name is Marian, there was no Barbara there.) 4 months later they were engaged, and married 5 months after that. 5 children and 13 grandchildren later, they were married 52 years when Dad passed away.

--hide--

Oh, Mary, that was a funny story! My sister's name is Maureen but people like to call her Marlene. She said she is getting so used to it, she
is liking it. So Barbara huh? That doesn't even sound like Marian!!!! That was a whirlwind romance and they probably had alot of great memories. Again, the word that comes to mind is Precious!

01/11/2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Out of curiosity, was your mother as young as he thought? It sounds as if they had a won...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

Out of curiosity, was your mother as young as he thought? It sounds as if they had a wonderful life!

--hide--

Nope. She was in her mid twenties, she just didn't look it.

01/11/2013 new

(Quote) Angela-893980 said: Nope. She was in her mid twenties, she just didn't look it.
(Quote) Angela-893980 said:

Nope. She was in her mid twenties, she just didn't look it.

--hide--
Thanks Angela. I was just wondering.

01/11/2013 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: Great topic Eileen!They first met at a dance. Dad was 20 and Mom was 15, and they shared a...
(Quote) John-746882 said:

Great topic Eileen!

They first met at a dance. Dad was 20 and Mom was 15, and they shared a dance. He wrote her name down in a journal he'd been keeping, or at least he thought he did. Her name was Colette, but he wrote Cliff. They were not to see each other again for a while. Dad joined the Army and served for a couple years, then came back. One night Colette got invited to a boat party on the South Street seaport, on a boat called the Nassau. She didn't want to go alone, and couldn't convince her friend to go with her. Colette said to her friend, "Come on! You never know who you're going to meet!" So her friend gave in and they went.

Dad, just back from the Army would be at the Nassau boat party too. He spotted Colette from across the room, and made a beeline to her. She didn't remember the dance they had (not right away anyway), but he did. Even though they only had one dance some years earlier, he remembered.

"You never know who you're going to meet!"

--hide--
I agree with you John......GREAT TOPIC! No question about it....our parents help shape who we are; or at least laying a solid foundation~

01/11/2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Your kidding Laura! Your mother never spilled the details? Secrets....must be some jui...

[/quote] Your kidding Laura! Your mother never spilled the details? Secrets....must be some juicy details there. Maybe you could drop some hints and see who talks first.

--hide--

Oh, it's definitely Dad I've got to squeeze for details. He's the one that asks more about how the online dating is going and encourages me to do these things, so he provides more opportunity for good segues. wink

01/12/2013 new

(Quote) Laura-896845 said: Oh, it's definitely Dad I've got to squeeze for details. He's the one th...
(Quote) Laura-896845 said:

Oh, it's definitely Dad I've got to squeeze for details. He's the one that asks more about how the online dating is going and encourages me to do these things, so he provides more opportunity for good segues.

--hide--

You must be Daddy's Girl! Go to the source and if you find out anything....let me know!

01/12/2013 new

Hi Everyone! Enjoyed reading all of these terrific stories of how our parents have met. I love the story about my folks. Mom attended a local public school and Dad the local Catholic school both within walking distance of each other. During their junior HS years, there was a local dance one evening, where young people from both schools attended. Mom remembers seeing my Dad from across the room and thinking, "Boy, I'd like to get to know him!" Well, they never did meet that evening, until years later in their early 20's were introduced (blind date) by a neighbor of my Mom's. Mom said she'll never forget seeing my Dad that evening and realizing, "Wow, this is the guy I remembered seeing at that dance, way back when!" Just more of God's handy work, I'd say!! They were married for a little over 41 years, before Dad passed away. Dad and Mom were a wonderful example of a beautiful Catholic marrried couple! biggrin

01/12/2013 new
(Quote) Barbara-920516 said: Hi Everyone! Enjoyed reading all of these terrific stories of how our parents have met. I love the story abo...
(Quote) Barbara-920516 said:

Hi Everyone! Enjoyed reading all of these terrific stories of how our parents have met. I love the story about my folks. Mom attended a local public school and Dad the local Catholic school both within walking distance of each other. During their junior HS years, there was a local dance one evening, where young people from both schools attended. Mom remembers seeing my Dad from across the room and thinking, "Boy, I'd like to get to know him!" Well, they never did meet that evening, until years later in their early 20's were introduced (blind date) by a neighbor of my Mom's. Mom said she'll never forget seeing my Dad that evening and realizing, "Wow, this is the guy I remembered seeing at that dance, way back when!" Just more of God's handy work, I'd say!! They were married for a little over 41 years, before Dad passed away. Dad and Mom were a wonderful example of a beautiful Catholic marrried couple!

--hide--
Barbara that is the beauty of this subject. It is uplifting and hopeful to all of us here that coincidence,circumstances, chance meetings can turn out to be the love of your life. Isn't that just it? Your story was very interesting...sometimes what goes around comes around. I am a hopeless romantic...I wasn't always though. I have talked to a lot of people in my nursing career and find that fate plays a part in all our lives at one time or another. It may come as a vision or intuition or dream but if you open your eyes, you will see it for what it is. Thank you for adding to my thread.
01/12/2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: My imagination is working overtime Bob! Explain!!!

My imagination is working overtime Bob! Explain!!!

--hide--

My Father temporarily moved from Lexington, KY to attend a technical school in Chicago. That's why he was in the same building where my Mother worked.

People have to meet somewhere, and on something like CM, action is required if anything progresses from the meeting. I think, many times, we fumble even when a Potential appears.

01/12/2013 new
(Quote) Bob-59786 said: My Father temporarily moved from Lexington, KY to attend a technical school in Chicago. That's why he...
(Quote) Bob-59786 said:

My Father temporarily moved from Lexington, KY to attend a technical school in Chicago. That's why he was in the same building where my Mother worked.

People have to meet somewhere, and on something like CM, action is required if anything progresses from the meeting. I think, many times, we fumble even when a Potential appears.

--hide--
Thanks for clarifying Bob as I was wondering. You are oh so right that many an opportunity has been lost forever (we think) but looking back on some of the replies, it can be years later and paths cross again. There is always hope.
Posts 71 - 80 of 128