Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 12th 2013 new
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: There was a lot of clubbing going on in the 50's and 60's. When we were in our 20's, we would ...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

There was a lot of clubbing going on in the 50's and 60's. When we were in our 20's, we would go to the John Boyle O'Reily Club. As you may guess, it was an Irish Club and meant for people of all ages. It was great fun, live bands, alot of dancing and mingling with relatives you
might not see except at weddings or funerals. We got to learn some about our family tree, the music, and of course alot of stories.
We loved it.

--hide--

That sounds like so much fun. There is nothing family oriented about the clubbing that goes on now, or even in the early 80's when I went to clubs.
Jan 13th 2013 new
(Quote) Andrew-884539 said: My dad was given my mom's number by a mutual friend. If I remember correct, it took 6 months for him to ca...
(Quote) Andrew-884539 said:

My dad was given my mom's number by a mutual friend. If I remember correct, it took 6 months for him to call her. Their first date was at the Dixie Electric Co., a night club that was in Toledo, OH at the time.

--hide--
There we go again...another club story but a sweet one. I don't know how you men do it! Maybe it is because men have been the foragers, protectors and providers throughout time that it is just part of your makeup. History has to play a part of who we are as genders but I am happy I am a girl. Thanks Andrew for posting!
Jan 13th 2013 new
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: That sounds like so much fun. There is nothing family oriented about the clubbing that goes on now, o...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

That sounds like so much fun. There is nothing family oriented about the clubbing that goes on now, or even in the early 80's when I went to clubs.
--hide--
We all had a lot of fun, getting dressed up, learning the Irish songs and dances. People watching there was what it was all about. There was always lots of laughing and surprisingly few fights with all the hoopla about the fighting Irish. We were in Springfield but people would come all the way from Worcester. There were plenty of love stories too.
Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Thanks for clarifying Bob as I was wondering. You are oh so right that many an opportunity has been los...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Thanks for clarifying Bob as I was wondering. You are oh so right that many an opportunity has been lost forever (we think) but looking back on some of the replies, it can be years later and paths cross again. There is always hope.
--hide--

You're welcome Eileen. Paths can indeed cross again, after many years.

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Barbara that is the beauty of this subject. It is uplifting and hopeful to all of us here that coincide...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Barbara that is the beauty of this subject. It is uplifting and hopeful to all of us here that coincidence,circumstances, chance meetings can turn out to be the love of your life. Isn't that just it? Your story was very interesting...sometimes what goes around comes around. I am a hopeless romantic...I wasn't always though. I have talked to a lot of people in my nursing career and find that fate plays a part in all our lives at one time or another. It may come as a vision or intuition or dream but if you open your eyes, you will see it for what it is. Thank you for adding to my thread.
--hide--

Hi Eileen, Like you, I too definitely believe in romance! I have to admit, I'm a big fan of romance movies on the Hallmark channel. I've met many couples, who even after many years together, still have that ZIPPITY DO DA for each other. It's wonderful to see!! So, I know it's possible for all of us. Thanks again Eileen for posting this fun and interesting question.

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Hi Everyone, I am always interested in this subject as I am a hopeless romantic....

Hi Everyone,

I am always interested in this subject as I am a hopeless romantic.

My mother was here in the United States from Ireland for a short time and working in the Bakery in the North End of town.
Alot of her friends were Polish and asked her to come with them one night to the Polish Club. My Dad was there with his
mother (yes! that's right!) and he spotted her and turned to her and said "Do you see that girl over there with the white
skin? I am going to marry her". They met several times at the Club and he offered to drive her and a few of her friends home
so she made sure she was the first one out and gave him a wrong address but walking distance from her apartment. And
that was the beginning.....

Do you have a story you would like to share? People meet in the darndest places. I can't wait to hear your parents story!

Eileen

--hide--

My father came from a small town (and I mean small town) on the banks of the St. Lawrence River. His aunt took in fresh air children and the children she took in came from the Bronx. The children's mother invited my father and brother that whenever their ship came in (WWII) to NY docks they could sleep on her couch. My father got leave and on his way up to stay with them he stopped into a bakery. He always said he went in for a cake and came out with his cookie. The ironic part is that my mother had so many responsibilities with her father being ill that when they went to the priest to ask him to marry them he said no, because he thought that it was a war romance and that once my father came home and had to settle in to city living and the responsibilities my mother had that it wouldn't last. They then went to another priest who preformed the nuptuals. My Mother's mother even told my father on their wedding day, Henry I love you like a son but this marriage will never last eyepopping Well it lasted 38 years until God called my father home 30 years ago this past 1/1. She lived 27 years without him until God called her home. The day my father died I saw a light go out inside my mother that was never lit again. heart

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-25961 said: My father came from a small town (and I mean small town) on the banks of the St. Lawrence R...
(Quote) Mary-25961 said:

My father came from a small town (and I mean small town) on the banks of the St. Lawrence River. His aunt took in fresh air children and the children she took in came from the Bronx. The children's mother invited my father and brother that whenever their ship came in (WWII) to NY docks they could sleep on her couch. My father got leave and on his way up to stay with them he stopped into a bakery. He always said he went in for a cake and came out with his cookie. The ironic part is that my mother had so many responsibilities with her father being ill that when they went to the priest to ask him to marry them he said no, because he thought that it was a war romance and that once my father came home and had to settle in to city living and the responsibilities my mother had that it wouldn't last. They then went to another priest who preformed the nuptuals. My Mother's mother even told my father on their wedding day, Henry I love you like a son but this marriage will never last Well it lasted 38 years until God called my father home 30 years ago this past 1/1. She lived 27 years without him until God called her home. The day my father died I saw a light go out inside my mother that was never lit again.

--hide--
Hi Mary,

Everytime I see your city and state, I think of my parents. On the way back from New York City, they stopped in Yonkers. She had some
distant relative that lived there (that would be probably the Flynn's) and she had fond memories. Oh well, getting back to your parents,
it must have been a very depressed time during and after the war but love always finds a little sunshine. They must have known they
belonged together if the would seek a second opinion so to speak. Thanks for writing and I like to see your posts.

Eileen

Jan 16th 2013 new
My parents met at the Catholic Newman club at the U of Michigan in Ann Arbor. They will celebrate their 50th this year! My Dad is a country boy from Louisiana and my Mom a city girl from NY but their common faith brought them together! My Dad was finishing up his studies when he met my Mom. He was a Lt in the USAF and was soon to be transferred to Albuquerque. He invited my Mom to meet his family in La. In December where they got engaged. They were apart their entire engagement and married in August. I came along 1 year later;)
Jan 16th 2013 new
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Hi Everyone, I am always interested in this subject as I am a hopeless romantic.My mother was ...

Hi Everyone,

I am always interested in this subject as I am a hopeless romantic.

My mother was here in the United States from Ireland for a short time and working in the Bakery in the North End of town.
Alot of her friends were Polish and asked her to come with them one night to the Polish Club. My Dad was there with his
mother (yes! that's right!) and he spotted her and turned to her and said "Do you see that girl over there with the white
skin? I am going to marry her". They met several times at the Club and he offered to drive her and a few of her friends home
so she made sure she was the first one out and gave him a wrong address but walking distance from her apartment. And
that was the beginning.....

Do you have a story you would like to share? People meet in the darndest places. I can't wait to hear your parents story!

Eileen

--hide--
Blind date in 1956
Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Jim-397948 said: Blind date in 1956
(Quote) Jim-397948 said: Blind date in 1956
--hide--

Jim, you talk to much! wink laughing laughing

Posts 91 - 100 of 128