Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I'm quite aware what the pundits have had to say about the President George W. Bush years. However, I've felt for some weeks now that we need to have some remembrances of what we liked about his two terms in office. I'm sure others on here have thoughts to share.

One thing I liked about those years was Bush himself. He was willing to speak openly and honestly about his faith. There is an old saying that "as the president does, so goes the nation." I feel a number of Americans could identify with him because he spoke about something personal - his faith in Christ.

What do you appreciate about those years?

Jan 9th 2013 new

(Quote) John-727073 said: I'm quite aware what the pundits have had to say about the President George W. Bush years. How...
(Quote) John-727073 said:

I'm quite aware what the pundits have had to say about the President George W. Bush years. However, I've felt for some weeks now that we need to have some remembrances of what we liked about his two terms in office. I'm sure others on here have thoughts to share.

One thing I liked about those years was Bush himself. He was willing to speak openly and honestly about his faith. There is an old saying that "as the president does, so goes the nation." I feel a number of Americans could identify with him because he spoke about something personal - his faith in Christ.

--hide--

Now that the fiscal cliff revenue debacle has finally been decided, I appreciate even more that Bush was right with his tax cuts. In the end, even the most left wing of the current administration wanted to keep 98% of those cuts and had to settle for 99%. Not too shabby for badmouthing the man for four straight years. I also appreciate the decisiveness in picking up the pieces and setting a strategy after the dot.com bubble burst as Clinton was walking out the door, only to be thrown another massive hit when the WTC and Pentagon were attacked. We'll forever have both sides playing the blame game whether it was the right decision to go into Iraq, but you never found Bush ducking for cover when things got hot like Obama did with Benghazi.

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) John-727073 said: I'm quite aware what the pundits have had to say about the President George W. Bush years. How...

--hide--
Not much. He grew the size of government with the completely useless TSA, instituted the "Patriot Act," and generally lacked the wisdom of his father by allowing neocons to distract him from focusing on Afghanistan. I miss Reagan. Better yet, Eisenhower. If I had my druthers, of course I'd pick him over the arrogant, self-righteous twit we're stuck with for the next four years.

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Not much. He grew the size of government with the completely useless TSA, instituted the "Pa...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Not much. He grew the size of government with the completely useless TSA, instituted the "Patriot Act," and generally lacked the wisdom of his father by allowing neocons to distract him from focusing on Afghanistan. I miss Reagan. Better yet, Eisenhower. If I had my druthers, of course I'd pick him over the arrogant, self-righteous twit we're stuck with for the next four years.

--hide--

Thanks for your opinion, Peter, but this forum is about those things that people liked during the Bush years.

Jan 10th 2013 new

--hide--
John. The one thing he should be remembered for most people don't know about. Because the left put him against the wall and said he didn't want people to own homes. He said that if they don't fix Fanny Mae and Freddy mac and just keep approving money for it, because of barney frank and his big mouth, Some day it was going to go belly up. He approved the money for it any way, but said he thought it was in big trouble the way it was being handled and he was right. I think his words were why did it have to happen on my watch. He should have stood his ground and made the Dem's fix it, but he let them intimidate him. So I would say this is his biggest mistake. He knew this would happen some day yet he approve the money and it made the Dem's day. So now we have Obuma to deal with and it did go belly up and crash the housing market. He was the President and he new and let it happen, because of Harry and Barney, who by the way made a lot of money from it. Some times he made the wrong moves when he knew better. I guess he thought it would not happen on his watch ?

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) John-727073 said: Thanks for your opinion, Peter, but this forum is about those things that people liked...

Thanks for your opinion, Peter, but this forum is about those things that people liked during the Bush years.

--hide--
I guess I should have said, I think he handled every think else fine.I was proud that he was President and thought that it was a good thing he went into Iraq and helped those people get out from under a tyrant. I always thought his father should have done it in the gulf war. He lead from the front most of the time.

Jan 10th 2013 new

What can I say -- everything! I miss him SO much.

Jan 10th 2013 new

--hide--
I also like his answer, when he was asked what he saw when he looked into putins eyes and he said evil. Then he was asked what he saw when he looked in to the Popes eyes and he said God. He was not afraid to bring his faith out in the open and he was pro- life.

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) John-727073 said: Thanks for your opinion, Peter, but this forum is about those things that people liked...

--hide--
Well excuuuuuuuuse me! rolling eyes

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: John. The one thing he should be remembered for most people don't know about. Because the le...
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said:

John. The one thing he should be remembered for most people don't know about. Because the left put him against the wall and said he didn't want people to own homes. He said that if they don't fix Fanny Mae and Freddy mac and just keep approving money for it, because of barney frank and his big mouth, Some day it was going to go belly up. He approved the money for it any way, but said he thought it was in big trouble the way it was being handled and he was right. I think his words were why did it have to happen on my watch. He should have stood his ground and made the Dem's fix it, but he let them intimidate him. So I would say this is his biggest mistake. He knew this would happen some day yet he approve the money and it made the Dem's day. So now we have Obuma to deal with and it did go belly up and crash the housing market. He was the President and he new and let it happen, because of Harry and Barney, who by the way made a lot of money from it. Some times he made the wrong moves when he knew better. I guess he thought it would not happen on his watch ?

--hide--

Excellent points, Thomas. Yes, it is a little known fact that his administration foresaw the crisis that could occur (and did). I had forgotten about that.

Posts 1 - 10 of 31