Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-864455 said: What can I say -- everything! I miss him SO much.
(Quote) Andrea-864455 said:

What can I say -- everything! I miss him SO much.

--hide--

What do you miss? biggrin

Jan 10th 2013 new

Above all I thought he was a good man.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) John-727073 said: What do you miss?
(Quote) John-727073 said:

What do you miss?

--hide--

I miss his integrity, his humility, his toughness...I felt safe having him in office. I just think he's a good man. I think President O. is well-intentioned, but deluded and has views contrary to my own.

Jan 11th 2013 new

I am thankful for his strong, courageous, and consistent stance on stem cell research, cloning, and all things pro-life.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Not much. He grew the size of government with the completely useless TSA, instituted the "Pa...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Not much. He grew the size of government with the completely useless TSA, instituted the "Patriot Act," and generally lacked the wisdom of his father by allowing neocons to distract him from focusing on Afghanistan. I miss Reagan. Better yet, Eisenhower. If I had my druthers, of course I'd pick him over the arrogant, self-righteous twit we're stuck with for the next four years.

--hide--

I'm with Peter on this one.

But keeping to the spirit of the thread, I will confess that I enjoyed his last day in office very much.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) John-727073 said: I'm quite aware what the pundits have had to say about the President George W. Bush years. How...

I'm quite aware what the pundits have had to say about the President George W. Bush years. However, I've felt for some weeks now that we need to have some remembrances of what we liked about his two terms in office. I'm sure others on here have thoughts to share.

One thing I liked about those years was Bush himself. He was willing to speak openly and honestly about his faith. There is an old saying that "as the president does, so goes the nation." I feel a number of Americans could identify with him because he spoke about something personal - his faith in Christ.

What do you appreciate about those years?

--hide--
He invited the Holy Father to to visit the White House and was generally very receptive to him. I believe the former President being an evangelical was the first since Kennedy. Two thumbs up for GWB.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Nilda-834707 said: He invited the Holy Father to to visit the White House and was generally very receptive to him. I...
(Quote) Nilda-834707 said:

He invited the Holy Father to to visit the White House and was generally very receptive to him. I believe the former President being an evangelical was the first since Kennedy. Two thumbs up for GWB.

--hide--

archive.truthout.org

www.cnn.com

articles.sun-sentinel.com

Well, I did like the fact that George Bush didn't slam the door in Cardinal Laghi's face when Cardinal Laghi visited the White House in February of 2003 and told the President that his pending attack on Iraq would be morally unjustifiable.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) John-727073 said: I'm quite aware what the pundits have had to say about the President George W. Bush years. How...

I'm quite aware what the pundits have had to say about the President George W. Bush years. However, I've felt for some weeks now that we need to have some remembrances of what we liked about his two terms in office. I'm sure others on here have thoughts to share.

One thing I liked about those years was Bush himself. He was willing to speak openly and honestly about his faith. There is an old saying that "as the president does, so goes the nation." I feel a number of Americans could identify with him because he spoke about something personal - his faith in Christ.

What do you appreciate about those years?

--hide--

I agree with a few of the other posters that I really do not think he was a good President, even though I voted for him.
His "No Child Left Behind" was so idealistic, yet unachievable, and cost America plenty of money. And he constantly
wanted to give citzenship to illegals, which is not what the country wanted at that time, so it did not pass.

The thing I will never forget about him, though, is on 9/11/01. He came to New York, and went down with the
fallen structures and mounds of garbage in the big pit, among the workers, with his microphone. A fireman called out to
GWB that he could not hear him. GWB yelled back at the fireman, "I can hear you."

He took control of the situation and the country and made us feel like we had a plan and things were going to be
all right.

Jan 11th 2013 new

I teach elementary school. The students are learning about Martin Luther King, and a teacher said that a student asked her if there would ever be a white president. I felt really old.

Jan 11th 2013 new

A partial list of Bush pro-life accomplishments

Reinstated Mexico City policy

Restricted Federal medicaid funding for RU-486

Appointed several pro-life judges in lower 2 branches of judiciary

Overruled his SecState by appointing a pro-lifer to a U.N. committee on population and refugees, extended health care coverage to poor children by defining those in the womb as children

Saught increased abstinence funding

Opposed human cloning and the destruction of embryos for stem-cell research

Opposes abortion at UN conferences that attempt to force abortion on poor countries

Withheld UNFPA money various times

Signed born alive infant protection act

Signed unborn victims of violence act

Supported child custody protection act and abortion non-discrimination act (so that Catholic hospitals aren't forced by states to perform abortions)

Appointed Dr. Hager to Reproductive Health Drugs Advisory Committee

Pressured Congress to keep military abortion ban

Cracked down on illegally imported abortion drugs

Refused to buckle when pro-abortion Senators held up aide to women in Afghanistan

Threatened to veto spending bills with money for abortion in them causing them to be modified

Made a recess appointment of a judge who was filibustered because he was a pro-life Catholic

Started public service announcements encouraging adoption

Publicly supported his brother and others trying to save Terri Schiavo's life

Weighed the possibility of requiring warning labels on condoms

appointed two pro-life Justices to the Supreme Court.

Posts 11 - 20 of 31