Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: I'm with Peter on this one.But keeping to the spirit of the thread,...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

I'm with Peter on this one.

But keeping to the spirit of the thread, I will confess that I enjoyed his last day in office very much.

--hide--

Let's see. What do I like about the Bush years?

The Tax rates, and the fact that he allowed the gun-grabbing act of Clinton to die.

Other than that, not much, and certainly not his expanding War on Terror, the active acceptance of torture (he admitted to ordering Waterboarding, a form of torture, in his Memoir Decision Points), or the fact that he allowed TARP to be passed under intimidation and threats of martial law, and that once it was the money given was misused by Paulson, who violated the law by not breaking up the insolvent too big to fail banks.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Let's see. What do I like about the Bush years? The Tax rates, and the fact ...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Let's see. What do I like about the Bush years?

The Tax rates, and the fact that he allowed the gun-grabbing act of Clinton to die.

Other than that, not much, and certainly not his expanding War on Terror, the active acceptance of torture (he admitted to ordering Waterboarding, a form of torture, in his Memoir Decision Points), or the fact that he allowed TARP to be passed under intimidation and threats of martial law, and that once it was the money given was misused by Paulson, who violated the law by not breaking up the insolvent too big to fail banks.

--hide--

I certainly don't like the parody of Conservatism he made by putting neo-Conservatism, basicly warmed-over Trotskyism, in its place.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Carrie-529869 said: A partial list of Bush pro-life accomplishments Reinstated Mexico City ...
(Quote) Carrie-529869 said:

A partial list of Bush pro-life accomplishments

Reinstated Mexico City policy

Restricted Federal medicaid funding for RU-486

Appointed several pro-life judges in lower 2 branches of judiciary

Overruled his SecState by appointing a pro-lifer to a U.N. committee on population and refugees, extended health care coverage to poor children by defining those in the womb as children

Saught increased abstinence funding

Opposed human cloning and the destruction of embryos for stem-cell research

Opposes abortion at UN conferences that attempt to force abortion on poor countries

Withheld UNFPA money various times

Signed born alive infant protection act

Signed unborn victims of violence act

Supported child custody protection act and abortion non-discrimination act (so that Catholic hospitals aren't forced by states to perform abortions)

Appointed Dr. Hager to Reproductive Health Drugs Advisory Committee

Pressured Congress to keep military abortion ban

Cracked down on illegally imported abortion drugs

Refused to buckle when pro-abortion Senators held up aide to women in Afghanistan

Threatened to veto spending bills with money for abortion in them causing them to be modified

Made a recess appointment of a judge who was filibustered because he was a pro-life Catholic

Started public service announcements encouraging adoption

Publicly supported his brother and others trying to save Terri Schiavo's life

Weighed the possibility of requiring warning labels on condoms

appointed two pro-life Justices to the Supreme Court.

--hide--

Excellent post, Carrie. I loved George Bush. Was he perfect? No. Was he a man that stood up for what he believed in and took the hits for it? Yes. You knew where he stood. He was decisive. I felt safe with him in office.

- Elizabeth

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Carrie-529869 said: A partial list of Bush pro-life accomplishments Reinstated Mexico City ...

Overruled his SecState by appointing a pro-lifer to a U.N. committee on population and refugees, extended health care coverage to poor children by defining those in the womb as children

Opposes abortion at UN conferences that attempt to force abortion on poor countries

Supported child custody protection act and abortion non-discrimination act (so that Catholic hospitals aren't forced by states to perform abortions)

Refused to buckle when pro-abortion Senators held up aide to women in Afghanistan

Threatened to veto spending bills with money for abortion in them causing them to be modified

Made a recess appointment of a judge who was filibustered because he was a pro-life Catholic

--hide--

Wow. I didn't know that. Thanks for the information.

Jan 11th 2013 new

I like the movie about him, "W." check it out its pretty good, starring Josh Brolin

Jan 11th 2013 new

I liked that he has a heart and as well his belief in God, and as you say wasnt afraid to admit it. He also overcame addiction to alcohol and rose up from the ashes so to speak. But mainly because I could tell that he loved God and America, and he believed in America.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) John-727073 said: I'm quite aware what the pundits have had to say about the President George W. Bush years. How...
(Quote) John-727073 said:

I'm quite aware what the pundits have had to say about the President George W. Bush years. However, I've felt for some weeks now that we need to have some remembrances of what we liked about his two terms in office. I'm sure others on here have thoughts to share.

One thing I liked about those years was Bush himself. He was willing to speak openly and honestly about his faith. There is an old saying that "as the president does, so goes the nation." I feel a number of Americans could identify with him because he spoke about something personal - his faith in Christ.

What do you appreciate about those years?

--hide--

cowboy Nuclear.

He reminded me any of us can be president. laughing

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Marita-847688 said: I teach elementary school. The students are learning about Martin Luther King, and a teacher sai...
(Quote) Marita-847688 said:

I teach elementary school. The students are learning about Martin Luther King, and a teacher said that a student asked her if there would ever be a white president. I felt really old.

--hide--

That is such a interesting story to let us in on. I enjoyed it.

Jan 12th 2013 new
That's quite a list Carrie. He really was a friend of the pro life movement, and an advocate for the unborn. I always believed he was genuine in his love for this country and his defense of the unborn.
Jan 12th 2013 new

--hide--
Carrie, thanks for your sobering reminder of his steadfast support for the right to life. My comments focused on the negative and that was unfair. We in the Washington, DC area will be painfully aware of the comparison to today's reality when we participate in the 40th annual March for Life on January 25. theheart

Posts 21 - 30 of 31