Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 11th 2013 new

Hi, Tara. In my experience, being complete opposites doesn't work for me. Being exactly the same isn't necessarily the best for me, either. I find that some overlap helps a couple understand each other, but you don't have to be the same. Being too alike can drive you nuts, too! I'm "melancholic-choleric." I can relate well with "choleric-melancholics," for example. It seems to work for me to have at least one of the two types in common. wink

Jan 11th 2013 new

Donna,

In a romantic relationship, drawing out a strong primary melancholic is very draining and a strong primary choleric that wants total control just brings out the rebellious part of me and I want to flee. I'm more interested in an easy going (but not asleep) happy and committed type of person with all of the other good stuff thrown in. Yes, I know there is always work and give and take in any relationship or any of us would be bored silly. At least that's the way I feel/think. Is there any person like that out there or have I been drinking too much cool aid?

I wonder how men feel about this mix and match and same kind of thing issue?

theheart

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Eloise-899090 said: Donna,In a romantic relationship, drawing out a strong primary melancholic is very drain...
(Quote) Eloise-899090 said:

Donna,

In a romantic relationship, drawing out a strong primary melancholic is very draining and a strong primary choleric that wants total control just brings out the rebellious part of me and I want to flee. I'm more interested in an easy going (but not asleep) happy and committed type of person with all of the other good stuff thrown in. Yes, I know there is always work and give and take in any relationship or any of us would be bored silly. At least that's the way I feel/think. Is there any person like that out there or have I been drinking too much cool aid?

I wonder how men feel about this mix and match and same kind of thing issue?

--hide--

Well..I'm not any kind of melancholic so that's not what I meant.. I tend to 'go with the flow' and let the other person make decisions.. 'Where do you want to eat?" "Oh..I don't care, you pick"...."What movie do you want to see?".."Oh..I don't care, you pick" When choosing a menu item I usually see what they are going to eat first, then I base my choice on theirs.. If he's ordering a sandwich, I don't order a T-bone.. laughing I have been out a few times with guys that just stopped and said "Nope, I'm not making the decision this time, you are going to tell me what you want to do.. That's what I mean about 'drawing out'..

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: Okay..I had to go look because I don't think one can be both Sanguine and Melancholic at the s...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

Okay..I had to go look because I don't think one can be both Sanguine and Melancholic at the same time..You meant Phlegmatic..

--hide--

D'oh! Thanks. smile I think one characteristic of the phlegmatic/melancholic personality is flightiness!

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: I met a guy on here whose personality was strongly choleric like me. Though I ended things for oth...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

I met a guy on here whose personality was strongly choleric like me. Though I ended things for other reasons, I realized we were TOO alike. The do's and don't's on here for relating to each other were the same. How weird. People have commented that I'd be better off with someone who was more laid back and passive in some aspects. It did get me thinking. What personality would compliment you? Would you rather someone be similar to you, or would that make you clash with each other?

--hide--

I continued to take the test until I got the results I wanted. Then I still retook it. I never knew what to answer for some of the questions. I've had many of the personalities.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: I met a guy on here whose personality was strongly choleric like me. Though I ended things for oth...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

I met a guy on here whose personality was strongly choleric like me. Though I ended things for other reasons, I realized we were TOO alike. The do's and don't's on here for relating to each other were the same. How weird. People have commented that I'd be better off with someone who was more laid back and passive in some aspects. It did get me thinking. What personality would compliment you? Would you rather someone be similar to you, or would that make you clash with each other?

--hide--

A sanguine who enjoys people of sorts, regardless, but probably someone a little more laid back and slow to respond than I am. I will not date a choleric---too bossy and demanding, but getting the phlegmatic to express opinions is DRAINING for me, and getting the melancholy out of a funk is as well. The female version of me, but perhaps a type B, would be best in my way of reckoning. . .

Jan 11th 2013 new

So a complimentary personality would mean one that comes free? I think one is enough for me! laughing

(Quote) Tara-916865 said:Ugh, I'm realizing I spelled it wrong.... COMPLEMENTARY.... Bad, Tara.
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:Ugh, I'm realizing I spelled it wrong.... COMPLEMENTARY.... Bad, Tara.

--hide--

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Therese-668052 said: My temperament test result is 68%sanguine and 32% choleric. It is not 100% accurate for me, i can say ...
(Quote) Therese-668052 said: My temperament test result is 68%sanguine and 32% choleric. It is not 100% accurate for me, i can say it fits me 90% Same when looking at a guy's profile i can't judge him completely based on the temperament test. Of course it gives a hint for the type of personality, something to start with not to base everything on it. I follow my gut feelings and signs i see while interacting with people..

What i look for is a healthy balanced personality who doesn't have anger issue. When i say anger issue it means he could be from any personality temperament type and have anger issue. What i mean with anger issue is a person who doesn't know how to deal with anger whether by expressing it in inappropriate way or keeping it inside and not knowing how to sort it out. Which in both ways may affect a relationship.
--hide--

Great post Therese. I agree that anger can be a function of every personality where there is immaturity or lack of a balanced mental state to handle issues in a healthy way. Learning to look for that type of person is so kep as that can be so detrimental in a marriage. A sage once told me that a good marriage is made of two forgivers who know how to share their feelings with each other in a healthy way.

Jan 11th 2013 new

It's posts like these that make me agree with the people that don't take the temperament tests. I don't think people should be judged on it but I do believe the temperaments can be good information to know.

As a pretty close to half and half melancholic/choleric though still dominant melancholic, I can prrtty much find a reason why any of the temperaments are compatable: Sanguines are fun and bring optomism. Melancholics are similar to me and likely to want to do the same things I want to do or live the same lifestyle I want to live, and I have enough choleric to balance out the initiation or getting things going problem. Cholerics are great at taking the lead when I feel like being a melancholic and phlegmatics, well, don't they get along with everyone?

There are so many reasons why two people may or may not be compatable.

Jan 12th 2013 new
(Quote) Shara-929649 said: Great post Therese. I agree that anger can be a function of every personality ...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

Great post Therese. I agree that anger can be a function of every personality where there is immaturity or lack of a balanced mental state to handle issues in a healthy way. Learning to look for that type of person is so kep as that can be so detrimental in a marriage. A sage once told me that a good marriage is made of two forgivers who know how to share their feelings with each other in a healthy way.

--hide--

Thank you for sharing Shara! Wow i so loved this quote, i saved it on my desktop smile What he said is so much wise and true.
Posts 21 - 30 of 71