Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Jan 16th 2013 new

They're both lines from the same poem. It's alternately called, either, Meditation XVII, or "No Man is an Island".

web.cs.dal.ca

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: If you're going by dates of colony establishment, you're wrong on a numb...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

If you're going by dates of colony establishment, you're wrong on a number of counts.

Australia was founded in 1788 not 1754.

The first American colony was founded in 1607, nearly 150 years before even your erroneous date. The last of the original 13, Georgia, was still established by the early 1730's.

--hide--

True but was the Captain of the Mayflower really a Democrate, surely a Puritan would be a Republican stir the pot! Its getting cold!

Australia was established in 1754 with the Botanical exploration at Botany Bay and the discovery by Captain Cook but just stirring Penal Colonies were not democracies

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: I am quite confident there is no person, civilian or military, who could is so popular wi...

I am quite confident there is no person, civilian or military, who could is so popular with the military they could count on the armed forces backing them in a bid to assume a throne in the U.S.

--hide--

A rose by any other name is still a rose. You dont have to call it monarchy, king, queen to be one. After the Democratic Peoples Republic of Germany was neither a democracy nor a republic stir the pot! Its getting cold!

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: The infighting is sadly the normal state of affairs of all politicians of all places and ...

The infighting is sadly the normal state of affairs of all politicians of all places and all ages. While it is a lamentable state of affairs, the mere existence of general acrimony etc. doesn't signal an imminent end. The specific issue of an unwillingness to address tremendous financial problems is a much more serious problem.

--hide--

True but its the precursor of many a revolution as history always demonstrates

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-26175 said: Paraphrasing, but George Washington said something like, "I didn't lead a ...
(Quote) Patrick-26175 said:

Paraphrasing, but George Washington said something like, "I didn't lead a revolution from George the 3rd in order to become George the 1st."

I think at one point his subordinates wanted to make him dictator, if not Monarch.

--hide--

I think they first offered him the Kingship, then changed it to Lord Protector, the title held by Oliver Cromwell, but you are correct in his reply but it is strange the founding fathers WANTED a monarchy.

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-26175 said: They're both lines from the same poem. It's alternately called, either, Meditation XVII,...
(Quote) Patrick-26175 said:

They're both lines from the same poem. It's alternately called, either, Meditation XVII, or "No Man is an Island".

web.cs.dal.ca

--hide--

Thank you. I know it was his last, as he wrote it on his death bed and the bells were the bells of St Pauls in London which his room overlooked.

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: (Quote) Mike-41230 said: (Quote) Steven-706921 said:...
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said:

Quote:
Mike-41230 said:

Quote:
Steven-706921 said:

Quote:
Patrick-624504 said:

The title of Defender of the Faith was bestoded 1521 by Pope Leo X for the kings dissertation on the Seven Sacrements and their importance to the Christian Faith. H8 was a learned and devout Catholic, he had traveled to Rome and studied theology. Make no mistake despite what the Anglicans claim it is a Catholic Title only bestowed by a Pope.

Hope that clears that up for you. This is a potted version only

You are correct in this fact, and in fact the book is in print againt, introduced by Catholic apologist Raymond de Souza.

keysofpeter.org

However, what Thomas said is also true. Once Henry VIII made himself the head of his own church, he ruthlessly killed all he could find that wouldn't follow him into schism. The loads of "priest holes," found in Tudor era houses throughout England, is testiment to this, as is the history of the popular fight for the Church, the Pilgrimage of Grace in 1536. Those that rose in that should be remembered as we do the Vendee during the French Revolution and the Christeros in Mexico, as brave defenders of the Faith.

en.wikipedia.org

Exactly Steven. And those that rose at the Battle of the Boyne, the Highland Risings of 1715, 1719 and 1745 should also be remembered as we do the Vendee during the French Revolution and the Christeros in Mexico, as brave defenders of the Faith. God bless Father White, an Irish priest that brought the Sacraments to my ancestors in Glengarry, Scotland after the glen had been absent of them for over two years. Father White was eventually hung, drawn and quartered just for saying the Mass. But in Father White's memory many good priests sprung from Glengarry, including the first Bishop of Upper Canada, Bishop Alexander MacDonell, who the Catholic encyclopedia describes as the Apostle of Ontario.

Cant diagree the Tudors were anti catholic and the English continued the tradition through to the Hanovers with George IV

--hide--

Yeah after the death of Anne with no living children, George I, the first Hanoverian was the closest Protestant heir to the throne. But I've read that they past over something like 56 or 57 Catholic heirs that had more of a claim to the throne than George I. This and a bunch of other twists and turns just goes to show how legit (Not) the British Monarchy is.

Jan 16th 2013 new
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: Australia was founded in 1754 so beats the US by 20 years.

Australia was founded in 1754 so beats the US by 20 years.

--hide--

Actually 1788 was when colonization began. Australia has been independent for a little over 100 years, becoming the Commonwealth of Australia in 1801.
Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: No but the acromony and inaction of Congress and Presidency and the internicene fighti...

No but the acromony and inaction of Congress and Presidency and the internicene fighting do paralell the fall of many an Empire

--hide--

I think it's an inherent flaw in democracy that it is incapable of addressing issues; it can only respond to crises (or feel-good subjects like steroids in sports).

Any given issue will fester because of a lack of consensus on how to solve it. It is only when it becomes a problem at the magnitude of a crisis that elected leaders can come up with a solution. In the meantime however, there is enormous damage done: jobs lost, homes foreclosed on, you name it.

The current fiscal crisis is a perfect example. Rather than control spending, the government's response is to keep interest rates artificially low and print money. For us, this means an abysmal return on our retirement funds (which translates to a longer working life) and inflation. If there was another currency anywhere that threatened to become the world's reserve currency, we would have this fixed within 24 hours. There isn't, so we can shuffle on with the status quo.

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: True but was the Captain of the Mayflower really a Democrate, surely a Puritan would b...

True but was the Captain of the Mayflower really a Democrate, surely a Puritan would be a Republican

Australia was established in 1754 with the Botanical exploration at Botany Bay and the discovery by Captain Cook but just stirring Penal Colonies were not democracies

--hide--

Perhaps you should tell the Australian government that they don't know when their own country was founded:

australia.gov.au

Posts 71 - 80 of 194