Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

01/12/2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: I would like to know your thoughts on how to stay positive - or how to live life as a blessing?...
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said:

I would like to know your thoughts on how to stay positive - or how to live life as a blessing?

--hide--

I stay positive by getting enough zzz's. Anyone want to go to bed ? laughing That was a joke. Don't go there.

01/12/2013 new

(((Kristen))) Bless you!

To remain positive, I try my best to focus on the Lord and ask Mother Mary to say the right prayers for me always :-)

When we look at the Cross

It is God saying,

I will do everything and anything to have you..

Oh,,,,! we are really really so blessed to belong to Him. :-)

Good is an understatement. HE IS An AWESOME AWESOME GOD!!

01/12/2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: My heart aches for the number of discouraged souls who've posted in the past few days. I ca...

My heart aches for the number of discouraged souls who've posted in the past few days. I can certainly relate, but I enjoy my life so much right now that finding a spouse would be an additional blessing, not an answer. I would like to know your thoughts on how to stay positive - or how to live life as a blessing?

I'll start - I focus on being grateful - always remembering all the blessings in my life, the ways God was worked to heal me and bring me to the place of JOY I am at now. I also focus on being fully present to and living each day as a gift.

--hide--

I'll raise my hand and say I hate where I am in life, everything seems wrong and there's no answer for it, like it will never get better, like every decision leading me here has been the wrong one, and nothing can make it better; especially not until I have someone to love intimately. I might have fun here and there, but I always come home to the same, empty, cold, lonely, house (not for long, I'm being foreclosed....) and face the same depression and frustration.

BUT!! I'm positive around my friends, because they give me life outside of my problems. Just this week my friends took me to the pub for a girls' night and a movie-night/slumber party. Tonight another friend took me to Build-a-Bear with her kids, and bought me a $40 gift card because she knew I'd always wanted to do one (I made the cutest thing!) then treated me to dinner. Tomorrow I'm going to breakfast with some old coworkers, and then to the farmer's market with a girlfriend's fiance, then I'm going to a big Catholic dance party near DC. I also have my family I'm grateful for, I rely on them a lot for company during the week (I'm unemployed). And I'm grateful for my dog. That might sound silly, but she's always here for me. I rescued her and it's like she knows. When I leave the room she sits and and stares at the door until I'm back, even an hour later. When I come home, she gallops through the house and whines in excitement and pummels me with all 70lbs of her while giving me kisses. Even if I was only gone for 15 minutes. She's an old girl, too, but she will struggle up on my bed when I'm lonely and cuddle with me (I don't encourage her on furniture, buttt....I don't push her off it :) )

I believe: God doesn't give you more than you can handle, and this is all just a pitstop anyway- on esp bad nights, I might wish for Heaven to open up for me, and just let me in already, but I know I have too many things to do still, and if there's a chance that my life might be a blessing in somebody else's: it makes it all worth it :)))) That's how I try to live: for others, for my friends, my family, my dog. To serve, to love, and to be loved.

01/12/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-583970 said: I'll raise my hand and say I hate where I am in life, everything seems wrong and there...
(Quote) Mary-583970 said:

I'll raise my hand and say I hate where I am in life, everything seems wrong and there's no answer for it, like it will never get better, like every decision leading me here has been the wrong one, and nothing can make it better; especially not until I have someone to love intimately. I might have fun here and there, but I always come home to the same, empty, cold, lonely, house (not for long, I'm being foreclosed....) and face the same depression and frustration.

BUT!! I'm positive around my friends, because they give me life outside of my problems. Just this week my friends took me to the pub for a girls' night and a movie-night/slumber party. Tonight another friend took me to Build-a-Bear with her kids, and bought me a $40 gift card because she knew I'd always wanted to do one (I made the cutest thing!) then treated me to dinner. Tomorrow I'm going to breakfast with some old coworkers, and then to the farmer's market with a girlfriend's fiance, then I'm going to a big Catholic dance party near DC. I also have my family I'm grateful for, I rely on them a lot for company during the week (I'm unemployed). And I'm grateful for my dog. That might sound silly, but she's always here for me. I rescued her and it's like she knows. When I leave the room she sits and and stares at the door until I'm back, even an hour later. When I come home, she gallops through the house and whines in excitement and pummels me with all 70lbs of her while giving me kisses. Even if I was only gone for 15 minutes. She's an old girl, too, but she will struggle up on my bed when I'm lonely and cuddle with me (I don't encourage her on furniture, buttt....I don't push her off it :) )

I believe: God doesn't give you more than you can handle, and this is all just a pitstop anyway- on esp bad nights, I might wish for Heaven to open up for me, and just let me in already, but I know I have too many things to do still, and if there's a chance that my life might be a blessing in somebody else's: it makes it all worth it :)))) That's how I try to live: for others, for my friends, my family, my dog. To serve, to love, and to be loved.

--hide--

So sorry to hear about your troubles. I can't imagine the stress you are under. Please know that I am praying to St. Philomena for a miracle for you. On a practical side have you heard about HAAMP or HARP. Both I beleive are to help people in your situation keep their jobs. The is also the mortgage relief to stop forclosure due to job loss. Please hang in there and try to stay positive. Your sharing just had my heart aching this morning. theheart rosary Praying

01/12/2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: So sorry to hear about your troubles. I can't imagine the stress you are under. Plea...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

So sorry to hear about your troubles. I can't imagine the stress you are under. Please know that I am praying to St. Philomena for a miracle for you. On a practical side have you heard about HAAMP or HARP. Both I beleive are to help people in your situation keep their jobs. The is also the mortgage relief to stop forclosure due to job loss. Please hang in there and try to stay positive. Your sharing just had my heart aching this morning.

--hide--

HAAMP and HARP are to help people keep their homes not jobs. Sorry.

01/12/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-583970 said: I'll raise my hand and say I hate where I am in life, everything seems wrong and there...
(Quote) Mary-583970 said:

--hide--

Mary, I'm sorry to hear that things are so difficult right now. I can relate - I've had my share of difficult things too. But honestly, that is the challenge in life: to see beyond the difficulty to the blessing. I am so glad that you have wonderful friends and family to help you through this time! That makes all the difference. Have you ever gone to Adoration? I'm definitely not claiming that going to pray will be a magical cure for all your problems, but I KNOW (from personal experience) that Jesus will start to show you the blessing in the midst of all the problems. He has given me such PEACE in the midst of great difficulty, for which I am so grateful! And now that life is not as difficult, spending time in Adoration keeps me focused on the blessed things in my life. I will keep you in my prayers too Mary as you deal with these difficult things. God bless!

01/12/2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: My heart aches for the number of discouraged souls who've posted in the past few days. I ca...

My heart aches for the number of discouraged souls who've posted in the past few days. I can certainly relate, but I enjoy my life so much right now that finding a spouse would be an additional blessing, not an answer. I would like to know your thoughts on how to stay positive - or how to live life as a blessing?

I'll start - I focus on being grateful - always remembering all the blessings in my life, the ways God was worked to heal me and bring me to the place of JOY I am at now. I also focus on being fully present to and living each day as a gift.

--hide--

Kristen as one of the co-founder's of the site I can tell you it both break's my hear and frustrates me because our whole purpose is to help people find their spouse and to give them a community of support until that day.

That being said I both in observing comments from singles over the years I think there is and underlying theme to the discouragement singles feel. Let me preface that I am trying to boil things down to a least common denominator but I realize things are always a bit more complicated.

I think when singles focus one what they want rather than what they need that is where the discouragement and dissapointment comes into play. I say this because if you think about it all of us imagine what kind of spouse we want and what our life would be like etc. So we create this extensive want in our mind and rarely do we get exactly what we want in life. Be that a spouse, job, car whatever. And often times even when we do get what we think we want we are often let down after we get it at least after the initial euphoria.

But when we focus on things we need we tend to not get discouraged as much because we are working towards a goal. So if someone needs to lose weight or get more exercise because the doctor says you need to then it takes on a much different character than if you wanted it. Someones want and need can be perfectly aligned but often times because we are human our wants trump our needs.

Anyway just something I have observed over the years in singles when related to their search for a spouse. TIFWIW

01/12/2013 new

(Quote) Brian-278516 said: Kristen as one of the co-founder's of the site I can tell you it both break's my...
(Quote) Brian-278516 said:

Kristen as one of the co-founder's of the site I can tell you it both break's my hear and frustrates me because our whole purpose is to help people find their spouse and to give them a community of support until that day.

That being said I both in observing comments from singles over the years I think there is and underlying theme to the discouragement singles feel. Let me preface that I am trying to boil things down to a least common denominator but I realize things are always a bit more complicated.

I think when singles focus one what they want rather than what they need that is where the discouragement and dissapointment comes into play. I say this because if you think about it all of us imagine what kind of spouse we want and what our life would be like etc. So we create this extensive want in our mind and rarely do we get exactly what we want in life. Be that a spouse, job, car whatever. And often times even when we do get what we think we want we are often let down after we get it at least after the initial euphoria.

But when we focus on things we need we tend to not get discouraged as much because we are working towards a goal. So if someone needs to lose weight or get more exercise because the doctor says you need to then it takes on a much different character than if you wanted it. Someones want and need can be perfectly aligned but often times because we are human our wants trump our needs.

Anyway just something I have observed over the years in singles when related to their search for a spouse. TIFWIW

--hide--

Thanks for that insight Brian. Your observations certainly seem valid in regard to people's expectations. I would agree that finding happiness in this life has much to do with adjusting our expectations to match with reality. Going along with that, it also means that happiness does not come from another human person but comes from within, for me, from my relationship with God. When we are happy, then we stand a better chance of attracting another person who is also happy and confident.

01/12/2013 new
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: My heart aches for the number of discouraged souls who've posted in the past few days. I can certainly r...

--hide--

I think it's easier to live life as a blessing, if one lives in Truth. The Truth is that all of creation comes from God. There isn't a single thing that a human being can create out of nothing. And yet God does this all the time! biggrin
01/12/2013 new

Kristen-

Being 45 (today, yay!) and NBM, its easy to get discouraged and down, especially around the "Hallmark" days and holidays. But I try to remember the good things in my life - my God who loves me, my health, a job I truly enjoy, my goofy dog, my godly friends, my family and that gets me through the down times. If that doesn't work, I pray, asking for patience as I wait for the man God created for me AND for joy during the waiting process. God is always faithful to lift any sadness and renew my hope.

Phillipians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Wishing us all God's peace~

Posts 21 - 30 of 78