Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Bart-749635 said: Mary, I feel so for your current situation and wish to offer hugs because you are hurting so and I...
(Quote) Bart-749635 said:

Mary, I feel so for your current situation and wish to offer hugs because you are hurting so and I feel a need to offer some physical acceptance of your pain.

But most of the wish to comfort is because you are trying.

I so remember when I was quite young, say, 10, I was given the gift of watching my nephew learn to walk. OH what fun! He so wanted to walk! Mark would take off from a supporting structure and laugh and toddle and fall down. Repeating the process of getting up laughing and toddling and falling down until he got it right. Each effort took him a little further. He became a little stronger after each effort. I can still hear the his laughs 50 years later and feel the love and support of the others in the room for him as he learned to walk and get up, with everyone laughing all the way.

We are with you and offer prayers and maybe laugh a little, for we have all been and we all continue to be in in some variant of that place today.

I snuck a look at your profile. You have a lot going for you. You have had some wonderful experiences. Your photographs show you are seeing and feeling the life you have been given. The images are very nice. What else can I say Mary but get up - laugh - learn and get going as best you can.

--hide--

Great advice!

Jan 12th 2013 new

Excellent thread!

We have such neat people here, truly. Except for you silly ones -- you know who you are!

Well, a few weeks back I went to work on being smokin' holy, as I term it, and have a few ideas on the blessed life. Though as God has made each of us unique it must also be that our paths needs must be different. So much wisdom in the posts here!

Truly, it's surrendering to God. He is simply not going to give up on us. He won't go away. We are not going to win at avoiding Him, His plans for us, His cross for us. We might, and do, manage to turn down his many gifts. Ouch. It is our destiny to be with him. So for me finding the blessed life is to quit struggling. Better things happen. Bad things that happen are less bad.

The sacraments. As often as possible. I tell people to fake weddings and pretend serious illness to get in more sacraments! For some reason they balk at this -- but then frequent confession looks more doable.

Be fully you. The pontiffs keep telling us that this is what God wants. Granted, they mostly say this when describing things that will falsely promise this but assuredly don't. Feminism comes to mind.

The problem in being fully you, and I trust we are all trying to be the best us, is that it is likely to get you slammed by life. Much of my prayer for others, and my smokin' holy self, is that we can be fully us without getting hurt for it. Part of being fully us is our Christian witness, after all. Being Christian is not all peachy. Expect a few stones. Possibly large ones. But you get to be you and we all love you for it.

Pray the rosary. Ask the Blessed Mother to repackage your prayers and send them on to Jesus. Be sure to say thank you. biggrin

Think I'll stop. It's actually a lot more enlightening to read what you all write.

Thank you for starting this thread Kristen.

:')

NC Jim

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Susie-550311 said: Kristen- Being 45 (today, yay!) and NBM, its easy to get discouraged and down, especially ...
(Quote) Susie-550311 said:

Kristen-

Being 45 (today, yay!) and NBM, its easy to get discouraged and down, especially around the "Hallmark" days and holidays. But I try to remember the good things in my life - my God who loves me, my health, a job I truly enjoy, my goofy dog, my godly friends, my family and that gets me through the down times. If that doesn't work, I pray, asking for patience as I wait for the man God created for me AND for joy during the waiting process. God is always faithful to lift any sadness and renew my hope.

Phillipians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Wishing us all God's peace~

--hide--
Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday, Susie! Hope you have a fabulous day!! clap party

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Bart-749635 said: Mary, I feel so for your current situation and wish to offer hugs because you are hurting so and I...
(Quote) Bart-749635 said:

Mary, I feel so for your current situation and wish to offer hugs because you are hurting so and I feel a need to offer some physical acceptance of your pain.

But most of the wish to comfort is because you are trying.

I so remember when I was quite young, say, 10, I was given the gift of watching my nephew learn to walk. OH what fun! He so wanted to walk! Mark would take off from a supporting structure and laugh and toddle and fall down. Repeating the process of getting up laughing and toddling and falling down until he got it right. Each effort took him a little further. He became a little stronger after each effort. I can still hear the his laughs 50 years later and feel the love and support of the others in the room for him as he learned to walk and get up, with everyone laughing all the way.

We are with you and offer prayers and maybe laugh a little, for we have all been and we all continue to be in in some variant of that place today.

I snuck a look at your profile. You have a lot going for you. You have had some wonderful experiences. Your photographs show you are seeing and feeling the life you have been given. The images are very nice. What else can I say Mary but get up - laugh - learn and get going as best you can.

--hide--
Bow highfive Excellent analogy, Bart! Isn't that what we are ALL here, for--to encourange one another and help one another to get to Heaven? Mary, listen to Bart's fine advice!

Jan 12th 2013 new

This is such a blessed thread. I agree with so much of what you all have written but two things in my book are most important -

1. the need to know HOLY priests. My priest-friend once told me that when the Devil looks at a priest he sees only Jesus. This is why the Devil goes after our priests so much. We need to pray for them! Whenever I get down about how things are going with me or my situation, I try to remember the great need our priests have to be held up in prayer and I try to offer up my troubles for them.

2. Godly friends. There is so much negativity in the world today and so much relativity that it is so important to have friends who help you regain your real perspective. I have one friend that is really struggling now and says it is so difficult for her to pray, she just isn't hearing God, etc... but in the past she was the person who prayed and prayed for me when I was struggling and couldn't hear God. We are here to live in communion - that's with other people - not just by ourselves and so we truly *need* one another to help us on our journey.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts everyone and Happy Birthday Susie Happy Birthday!

Jan 12th 2013 new

Happy Birthday Susie!

I am grateful for my family, my friends, my health, my job. It is uplifting to read everyone's great posts.

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Jim-149694 said: The problem in being fully you, and I trust we are all trying to be the best us, is that it is like...
(Quote) Jim-149694 said:

The problem in being fully you, and I trust we are all trying to be the best us, is that it is likely to get you slammed by life. Much of my prayer for others, and my smokin' holy self, is that we can be fully us without getting hurt for it. Part of being fully us is our Christian witness, after all. Being Christian is not all peachy. Expect a few stones. Possibly large ones. But you get to be you and we all love you for it.

--hide--

Well Jim, thanks for burning up this thread with your smokin' holy thoughts! troll - this is the closest thing I could find to flames in the emoticon list! smile

But seriously, your comment about being slammed by life when being yourself is so true. However, I am not sure it is a reasonable to expect that we won't be hurt when we are most ourselves. The word "vulnerable" comes from the Latin term vulnera which means to be "open to wounding" - learning that really changed my perspective on this. And isn't that what Jesus did? He was fully Himself, "God's human face" as Pope B16 says, not holding himself back from being wounded. I would submit that the REAL challenge is to allow ourselves to be wounded for being ourselves, and to "Be not afraid" of the consequences - to not become bitter because of the bitterness of another, but instead to choose to LOVE. That is a SAINT!!!!

Jan 13th 2013 new

Kristen,

I totally agree. You are so right that we must live in imitation of Christ if we are to be fully us.

I think one of the best ways, in a practical sense, to maximize the good and minimize the bad of being Christians in this life is what I sometimes think of as my Bicycle Protocol relative to the Catholic life.

Or the Swimming Pool Gambit, LOL, I just can't help myself from naming my silly thoughts. It helps me to remember and come back to my favorites.

If we are all hesitant and at a stand-still on our bike we fall over. If we move along at a proper speed -- which bespeaks a goal -- then we won't fall down. Due diligence regarding bumps if you please. In this fashion we avoid a lot of "bads".

Or we jump into the pool to really have the fun of it. Messing about sticking our toe in the water doesn't give us the whole experience, does it? We should jump into our Catholicism with both feet to get the good things God wants for us.

Doing the Jesus Trail in partial fashion is very uncomfortable and has far more pain than our crosses. The crosses can be light, as Jesus said, while if we dither about and do things non-Catholic we collect chains. Big difference!

:')

NC Jim

Jan 13th 2013 new

I would love to be able to get a full night's rest, uninterrupted. It often doesn't work out that way, however.

Jan 13th 2013 new

Everyone needs friends. What does one do if he or she doesn't have them? Some of us only have acquaintances. The only friend we have is Jesus, and he doesn't tend to speak to most people audibly. So, we can only make that connection through prayer. And of course, it's common to experience that dark night of the soul as St. John of the Cross termed it.

Posts 41 - 50 of 78