Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Following the crowd

Jan 13th 2013 new
When I was a child back in the 1980s there was a lot of emphasis on resisting peer pressure and on not following the crowd. It kind of stuck with me in my case to the point I just go against the grain oftentimes as our culture deteriorates.

Why is it so many people just want to conform to whatever the culture says when it comes to loosening mores and are so obsessed with being "up do date"? Up to date, says who?
Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: When I was a child back in the 1980s there was a lot of emphasis on resisting peer pressure and on not fo...
(Quote) John-220051 said: When I was a child back in the 1980s there was a lot of emphasis on resisting peer pressure and on not following the crowd. It kind of stuck with me in my case to the point I just go against the grain oftentimes as our culture deteriorates.

Why is it so many people just want to conform to whatever the culture says when it comes to loosening mores and are so obsessed with being "up do date"? Up to date, says who?
--hide--

I imagine that this type of pressure is worse now than it was when we(My age group) were growing up because the media exposes us to much more. I am going to say it is a problem that stems from media and advertizing backed by money making moguls....( when you break it all down)

It is financially driven and it is a way of "creating culture" that many of our current musical artists and other media personalities are involved in. This culture creation is designed to appeal to young people as new consumers of the product(s) being marketed. This ranges from music to fashion and all types of entertainment.

Jan 13th 2013 new

I agree, Marian. Preteen and teens are very prone to wanting to be accepted by their peer group. The desire to be accepted and the media presence touting the best way to be accepted, along with limited life experience, are a set-up for these age groups to fall into the trap of conformity. It takes a strong family, church and educational system to counter the media messages that kids get every day. I'm fascinated by the current obsession with "Bling". I see it in clothing, hair/nail products, shoes, school supplies, television ads, music videos, and of course jewelry. It's a dangerous time for kids due to the pressures from gangs and the drug culture.

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Jan-805954 said: I agree, Marian. Preteen and teens are very prone to wanting to be accepted by their peer group. Th...
(Quote) Jan-805954 said:

I agree, Marian. Preteen and teens are very prone to wanting to be accepted by their peer group. The desire to be accepted and the media presence touting the best way to be accepted, along with limited life experience, are a set-up for these age groups to fall into the trap of conformity. It takes a strong family, church and educational system to counter the media messages that kids get every day. I'm fascinated by the current obsession with "Bling". I see it in clothing, hair/nail products, shoes, school supplies, television ads, music videos, and of course jewelry. It's a dangerous time for kids due to the pressures from gangs and the drug culture.

--hide--

Then there are the phones which bring the presence of the Internet right into the classroom and the 24/7 availability to contact someone- anyone who has a phone. It is really overwhelming when you think of how different it was for us growing up in the 60's and 70's. It is nto giving them a chance to develop an inner life when they are constantly texting and online. TOO MUCH TIME Online has ruined my sense of peace just for me- imagine how it is for them. They seek to connect constantly through social media or just texting and this is very different from how it was for us.

You are right about the fashion, and all of the products they think they need now.

Jan 13th 2013 new

Just today in religious education class after Mass this morning, this 'fllowing the crowd' attitude was thrust in my face. Once ayear the Creed students (9-12th graders) come into the classrooms to teach the younger kids and today was theday. I teach the 3-6 year olds. One of the 9th grade girls was wearing an off the shoulder top -- one strap over one shoulder, nothing on the other, lots of skin and it only went to mid-butt length, and a pair of leggings. That outfit isn't even allowed in our public highschool, but she wore it to Mass and to teach! I went to her and told her to put her jacket on because she was not dressed appropriately. She pulled it just on to her shoulders, but her shirt asstill hanging down enough to see 2 inches of bra cup on the one side so I told her to button it. It is my classroom and as teacher I cannot allow the 'fashion of the day' to be sleazy inappropriateness in front of young children sent to learn about their faith! I'm afraid I may get in trouble, but I felt I really had to do what I did.

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Just today in religious education class after Mass this morning, this 'fllowing the crowd...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

Just today in religious education class after Mass this morning, this 'fllowing the crowd' attitude was thrust in my face. Once ayear the Creed students (9-12th graders) come into the classrooms to teach the younger kids and today was theday. I teach the 3-6 year olds. One of the 9th grade girls was wearing an off the shoulder top -- one strap over one shoulder, nothing on the other, lots of skin and it only went to mid-butt length, and a pair of leggings. That outfit isn't even allowed in our public highschool, but she wore it to Mass and to teach! I went to her and told her to put her jacket on because she was not dressed appropriately. She pulled it just on to her shoulders, but her shirt asstill hanging down enough to see 2 inches of bra cup on the one side so I told her to button it. It is my classroom and as teacher I cannot allow the 'fashion of the day' to be sleazy inappropriateness in front of young children sent to learn about their faith! I'm afraid I may get in trouble, but I felt I really had to do what I did.

--hide--
There are extremes that shouldn't be tolerated. I'm wondering in this case where her parents were. Did they see her attire, and if so, did they actually allow her to go to Church dressed in that manner?

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: When I was a child back in the 1980s there was a lot of emphasis on resisting peer pressure and on not fo...
(Quote) John-220051 said: When I was a child back in the 1980s there was a lot of emphasis on resisting peer pressure and on not following the crowd. It kind of stuck with me in my case to the point I just go against the grain oftentimes as our culture deteriorates.

--hide--

I really am surprised at times when I am around young people. Some of them do not go along with a converstation
that is taking place, and voice their contrary opinions. You can almost hear their parents being voiced through
them as they are talking. They are usually very articulate and sincere in their dialogue. I feel such inspiration
when I see this as it shows such good parenting.

Jan 14th 2013 new

Unfortunately I'm very sure her mother approves as she dresses just like her -- belly-showing shirts, tight pants, revealing tops, ultra mini skirts, etc. She sent her daughters to local Catholic school and they always wore the shortest skirts, much shorter than the touch-the-knee rules state but unfortunately nothing wasdoneandneither mother nor daughterswereever taught why they shouldn't dress that way.

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Unfortunately I'm very sure her mother approves as she dresses just like her -- belly-showin...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

Unfortunately I'm very sure her mother approves as she dresses just like her -- belly-showing shirts, tight pants, revealing tops, ultra mini skirts, etc. She sent her daughters to local Catholic school and they always wore the shortest skirts, much shorter than the touch-the-knee rules state but unfortunately nothing wasdoneandneither mother nor daughterswereever taught why they shouldn't dress that way.

--hide--
You didn't mention the gir's father. Just a guess -- he's not in the picture and the girl's mother is looking for a new mate.

Perhaps with your guidance, this young lady will come to realize the importance of dressing properly.

Jan 14th 2013 new

Ray -- the father goes to church with them and either approves or has no say in the matter -- his wife (the mother) left him for a bit to 'enjoy life' and he willingly took her back after a few months. Many families have been chased away from our Catholic school by the mother's pushy, gossipy, take-over-while-pretending-to-just-be-trying-to-help manner. Now the girls are at the public high school and dressed the sleaziest of any and that's saying a lot. The mom pretends to be a friend now and again to see if I will be a source of gossip, but she is like a dangerous snake hiding in the grass and I try to keep my distance. I'm just waiting for the repercussions from my action!

Posts 1 - 10 of 10