Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Norm-242638 said: (Quote) Kevin-40666 said: I believe he may be referring to free-lance membe...
(Quote) Norm-242638 said:

Quote:
Kevin-40666 said:

I believe he may be referring to free-lance members of the congregation,

who evidently consider themselves at liberty to adjust the words of the

Mass to suit their own taste.

Kevin you are correct.

--hide--

Is the priest using the correct word (man)?

Is it just a few scattered people saying 'human' or a significant portion of the congregation?

Jan 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Kevin-40666 said: I believe he may be referring to free-lance members of the congregation, who evide...
(Quote) Kevin-40666 said:

--hide--

I ran into that once at morning prayer. There were only three of us, one the little old lady who was always therem, some woman I had never seen before and me.

Instead of "...glory to the Father, and to the Son, and the Holy Spirit," the new woman had some other formulation. I can't even remember what.

The regular little old lady started interrupting her with the next line before she could finish her modified one!

Jan 15th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: ... Instead of "...glory to the Father, and to the Son, and the Holy Spirit," the new wo...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

... Instead of "...glory to the Father, and to the Son, and the Holy Spirit," the new woman had some other formulation. I can't even remember what. ...

--hide--

Perhaps "glory to the Creator, and to the Redeemer, and to the Sanctifier."

Jan 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Norm-242638 said: (Quote) Kevin-40666 said: I believe he may be referring to free-la...

Quote:
Kevin-40666 said:

Kevin you are correct.

--hide--

A lucky guess, I guess. smile

Jan 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Kevin-40666 said: Perhaps "glory to the Creator, and to the Redeemer, and to the Sanctifier."...
(Quote) Kevin-40666 said:

Perhaps "glory to the Creator, and to the Redeemer, and to the Sanctifier."

--hide--

Perhpas, but I remember thinking it was weirder than that. Or maybe I'm not remembering right.

Feb 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Norm-242638 said: Just venting...I lose my train of during thought when reading the The Nicene Creed and the line is...

Just venting...I lose my train of during thought when reading the The Nicene Creed and the line is changed to "..incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
and became human."

Is it offensive to state that Jesus was a man?

Thanks for listening!

--hide--

vestigal arianism. human but neither male nor female. nonsense to be disregarded.

i wouldn't love it but wouln't mind terribly if they instituted certain gender neutral rephrasing but NEVER when, as in this instance, it refers to God. that is anathema.

an example of acceptable reprasing is: in the gloria, they recently replaced the words "men of good will" with "people of good will". that's OK.

Mar 8th 2013 new
Political correctness has gone mad in our world today. I love that I am a woman and I know Jesus was a man. As a society we have to remember that we are equal in dignity but different it many ways. I feel at times masculinity and femininity are being attack by our culture, it is maddening because our sexuality is a huge part of who we are.
Mar 8th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: vestigal arianism. human but neither male nor female. nonsense to be disregarded.
(Quote) David-364112 said:

vestigal arianism. human but neither male nor female. nonsense to be disregarded.

i wouldn't love it but wouln't mind terribly if they instituted certain gender neutral rephrasing but NEVER when, as in this instance, it refers to God. that is anathema.

an example of acceptable reprasing is: in the gloria, they recently replaced the words "men of good will" with "people of good will". that's OK.

--hide--

You may find it acceptable. But the Latin term is "men of Good Will" "Men" as it was used for as long as the English language existed as referring either to the gender "men" or to "mankind", in the generic sense referring to both genders.

You can argue that in the latter case "people" is an accurate rending of the meaning. But it can also be argued that "people" has so many other meanings such as "nation" or any other group that the original meaning is lost.

Properly translated, it conveys a poetic sense, totally lacking in "people."

But that is my preference which is why I read both the Gloria and the Credo in Latin to myself rather than recite what to my mind is a poor and sterile translation in English

Mar 10th 2013 new

I noticed a couple of days ago that the Gospel of the Pharisee and the publican began, "Two people went up to the Temple to pray".
Fact is, the story is about two men. Where do they get off changing the meaning? And who is stupid enough to be offended by a story about two men? boggled

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: I noticed a couple of days ago that the Gospel of the Pharisee and the publican began, "Two ...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

I noticed a couple of days ago that the Gospel of the Pharisee and the publican began, "Two people went up to the Temple to pray".
Fact is, the story is about two men. Where do they get off changing the meaning? And who is stupid enough to be offended by a story about two men?

--hide--

You won't find any of that inclusive language at the traditional Mass! wink

Posts 11 - 20 of 25