Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share
For discussion that revolves around a place, state, or country.
01/16/2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Linclon Nebraska has the FSSP Seminary there.Very scenic,nice Country.Plenty of Latin Masses.Even...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

Linclon Nebraska has the FSSP Seminary there.Very scenic,nice Country.Plenty of Latin Masses.Even some Latin Mass Carmelite Nuns( to visit) in Valpraiso,Nebraska!

--hide--

I used to live in the Midwest. Can't tolerate the climate. If I could, I would live in Chicago. Love the city, love the churches. I don't actually go to the TLM on a regular basis - just once in a while. Most of the time we go to the NO Mass here.

01/16/2013 new

(Quote) Laura-695247 said: Lisa, the Bay Area is diverse...don't let the media and all that fool you. Yes, it is by far ...
(Quote) Laura-695247 said:

Lisa, the Bay Area is diverse...don't let the media and all that fool you. Yes, it is by far more liberal than some places...but don't be deceived. I go to daily mass in Oakland at Cathedral of Christ the Light. I would say the average noon attendance is at least 50 people...coming during the lunch hour from busy office jobs. I'm starting to do more activities at St Dominic's in San Francisco. It has a very active parish for people in the 20, 30's and 40's. The Bay Area has people from all over the world. They come here bringing their culture with them. The Cathedral has a strong Korean presence.

The Bay Area is amazingly beautiful. I discover new things all the time. There are many hiking groups and places to take Children. I live on the Island of Alameda and it is very small town and safe, but 5 minutes from Oakland and 20 minutes from the City. I go to Tahoe all the time.

Probably the biggest issue for you might be price. The Bay Area, I am pretty sure is even more expenise the San Diego.

Give me a shout if you decide to relocate!

--hide--

Thanks Laura. I know that San Fran is more expensive, but that doesn't bother me. I moved to San Diego from Iowa, and everyone was telling me how much more expensive it is. That's true, but I made it work. I'm sure I'll make it work money-wise anywhere.

Is San Jose any more of an "average" city or does it have the same bad rep for being "Sodom" San Fran?

01/16/2013 new

I have an opinion and it is no, you can't. Do you want your kids exposed to the tyrrany of the majority that exists in that city? Yes, it is gorgeous, but I think it would be very very trying. Especially if you are looking for a man.

01/16/2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: Thanks Laura. I know that San Fran is more expensive, but that doesn't bother me. I mo...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

Thanks Laura. I know that San Fran is more expensive, but that doesn't bother me. I moved to San Diego from Iowa, and everyone was telling me how much more expensive it is. That's true, but I made it work. I'm sure I'll make it work money-wise anywhere.

Is San Jose any more of an "average" city or does it have the same bad rep for being "Sodom" San Fran?

--hide--

I'm not such a big fan of San Jose, it adds time when getting to Tahoe. It is dominated by the Silicon Valley scene...not the 'Sodom' scene...as project on this thread. It is very flat and quite hot in summers. There isn't too much going on. Most of my friends that live there, would rather not be living there. Many moved to the City and commute 1 1/2 hours each way for jobs. I actually like hot summers...but it bothers some people I guess. The City is a bit cold and wet for me. I live 20 minutes from the City but the climate is about 10 degrees warmer. Both the City and Silicon Valley are very diverse. You will find family and single life in either location. Marin, is considered the prime location to live. That is where most of the outdoorsy folks live. It is quite expensive, but as you pointed out, there is always a way to make things work. I live in the east bay...which is frowned upon by City people...or at least until they discover it. I suggest not living in Oakland, Richmond or Hayward. These are pretty dangerous areas. Most of South bay and peninsula (Palo Alto) etc. are considered pretty safe. I think the best thing to do is find the job first, then find a community that works for you. Both the City and San Jose have lots of jobs. I have friends at Apple, Adobe, and all the big companies. They all do very well. I think you can find a warm community of Catholics almost Anywhere. Don't let people talk you out of the Bay Area just because of their ideas of it...especially people who don't even live there...

Aside from the apparent 'gay' sceen. The bay area is predominantly international in feel. Most of my friends are from other countries. I have very few 'American' friends. People are predominantly well educated and very active. Most of the people I know are very into hiking and the outdoors.

Hope that helps!

01/16/2013 new

Thanks Laura, this is very helpful. I do like the idea of living among more people from other countries - it's definitely easier for me to connect with them. I will come visit this summer and check the place out some more. So far I've only been to the touristy areas and haven't driven through any of the actual neighborhoods where I would live.

01/16/2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I have an opinion and it is no, you can't. Do you want your kids exposed to the tyrrany of the ma...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I have an opinion and it is no, you can't. Do you want your kids exposed to the tyrrany of the majority that exists in that city? Yes, it is gorgeous, but I think it would be very very trying. Especially if you are looking for a man.

--hide--

I'm just curious, what does looking for a man have to do with living in a liberal vs. conservative city?

My son will be in high school by then, so it's not like he is little. He doesn't attend public schools, so that helps. Too much exposure to immorality is not good though even at that age, you are right about that.

01/16/2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: Thanks Laura, this is very helpful. I do like the idea of living among more people from other count...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

Thanks Laura, this is very helpful. I do like the idea of living among more people from other countries - it's definitely easier for me to connect with them. I will come visit this summer and check the place out some more. So far I've only been to the touristy areas and haven't driven through any of the actual neighborhoods where I would live.

--hide--
My gut feeling,this State is going to have a Major San Andres Fault eruption soon.We are waaaaaay over due.God will not tolerate all the wickedness any longer.I am leaving the State myself.As soon as I can.People need to understand that we are living in extraordinary times.

01/16/2013 new

When a good number of the single men are homosexual, and you are looking for a man, and a devout Catholic one at that I don't think that would be easy. Also, I don't think that single heterosexual men either want to move to SF, or stay there for long. The presumption is that they are homosexual, if they are not married, and I am sure that gets old fast. I can't imagine a harder place in the US to be a straight Catholic single person than San Francisco.

01/16/2013 new
I would not know but I would not think it would be any different than anywhere else. All I would say to you is good luck and be happy. You'll find someone soon! :)
01/17/2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: When a good number of the single men are homosexual, and you are looking for a man, and a devout Cath...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

When a good number of the single men are homosexual, and you are looking for a man, and a devout Catholic one at that I don't think that would be easy. Also, I don't think that single heterosexual men either want to move to SF, or stay there for long. The presumption is that they are homosexual, if they are not married, and I am sure that gets old fast. I can't imagine a harder place in the US to be a straight Catholic single person than San Francisco.

--hide--

Ahh, I see the logic. I'm not actively "looking" for anyone, but was just curious what one had to do with the other. wave

Posts 11 - 20 of 61