Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share
For discussion that revolves around a place, state, or country.
Jan 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: Alex, thanks for your reply. I'm very limited on travel time being a single mom. But I do want ...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

Alex, thanks for your reply. I'm very limited on travel time being a single mom. But I do want to come out this summer for a few days and really take a good look around. Visit some good orthodox churches. Which ones do you recommend as being conservative (not necessarily with a TLM). I read that Our Lady of Peace in Santa Clara and St Dominic's in San Fran are solid places to go. Any others?

--hide--

Our Lady of Peace is a great parish and area and community. I am from the Bay Area and I would not mind living there again.

Jan 18th 2013 new

I myself don't want to live in SF

But a strange thing I have noticed. I lived in Maryland and moved to New Jersey.

The gun laws are more restrictive in Jersey but I have met far more gun owners here.

In Maryland it was less Catholic but My church was strong.

Here in Jersey there are more Catholics but a lot seem to be milquetoast.

So I guess those in more restrictive areas Catholics must be stronger. So I am assuming there are some strong Catholics in SF

(But I still be leary of bringing any kids there)

Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Our Lady of Peace is a great parish and area and community. I am from the Bay Area and I ...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Our Lady of Peace is a great parish and area and community. I am from the Bay Area and I would not mind living there again.

--hide--

OLOP is the best Novus Ordo mass in the state probably. There is also the Institute of Christ the King both in Santa Clara and Oakland, and independent Chapel in San Jose, an SSPX if so inclined. I'm fortunate to have the FSSP here in Sacramento.

Personally I'm with Bernard in that I'm trying to get out of the state and that Cali as a whole will have something catastrophic sooner than later. Also I've been on assignment a few times now in SF and I always knew its reputation. However after having worked there I can say that it is WORSE than the reputation it gets. To me it seemed 50%+ of the adult male population was homosexual and it was highly discomforting. As a practicing Catholic (capital C) I'd stay far away from that Godless city. Maybe the new Archbishop can turn things around as I have heard good things about him, but he definitely has an uphill battle in that liberal-modernist haven.

Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) John-324285 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Our Lady of Peace is a great parish and ...
(Quote) John-324285 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

OLOP is the best Novus Ordo mass in the state probably. There is also the Institute of Christ the King both in Santa Clara and Oakland, and independent Chapel in San Jose, an SSPX if so inclined. I'm fortunate to have the FSSP here in Sacramento.

Personally I'm with Bernard in that I'm trying to get out of the state and that Cali as a whole will have something catastrophic sooner than later. Also I've been on assignment a few times now in SF and I always knew its reputation. However after having worked there I can say that it is WORSE than the reputation it gets. To me it seemed 50%+ of the adult male population was homosexual and it was highly discomforting. As a practicing Catholic (capital C) I'd stay far away from that Godless city. Maybe the new Archbishop can turn things around as I have heard good things about him, but he definitely has an uphill battle in that liberal-modernist haven.

--hide--

Our Lady of Peace is a great Parish and would probably be where I would attend if I lived in the area. In going into SF years back to purchase choral music and visit friends- I would say yes, it has no doubt really changed. I am sure I am not aware of how deeply it has changed. I am certain that the new Archbishop will do what he can to remedy the problems he sees. sad It is sad.

Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: When a good number of the single men are homosexual, and you are looking for a man, and a devout Cath...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

When a good number of the single men are homosexual, and you are looking for a man, and a devout Catholic one at that I don't think that would be easy. Also, I don't think that single heterosexual men either want to move to SF, or stay there for long. The presumption is that they are homosexual, if they are not married, and I am sure that gets old fast. I can't imagine a harder place in the US to be a straight Catholic single person than San Francisco.

--hide--

The dating situation in San Francisco is difficult. Unfortunately it is even worse on this site!

Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I'm just curious, what does looking for a man have to do with living in a liberal vs. ...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I'm just curious, what does looking for a man have to do with living in a liberal vs. conservative city?

My son will be in high school by then, so it's not like he is little. He doesn't attend public schools, so that helps. Too much exposure to immorality is not good though even at that age, you are right about that.

--hide--

Well sound like looking for a good high school will be pretty high on your list.

Might I suggest that before you come, sign up for some things that will immerse you in the community. Try meetup.com and sign up for some hikes. Go to St Dominic's website in San Francisco, you can sign up for the you adults group. They have one for 20-30's and another one for 30-40's people to there from ALL over the bay area. They even have hikes and trips to Yosemite. I am just getting involved in that Church. My friend signed up on a hike all the way from Ireland, so that when she got here, she had fun things to do. There is also a retreat center in Los Altos. The ladies I met told me about St Dominics. You will meet local people and people from other states as well. But they can probably tell you about different communities around the Bay Area. If you are seriously interested in moving, don't let negativity stop you.

Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: Alex, thanks for your reply. I'm very limited on travel time being a single mom. But I do want ...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

Alex, thanks for your reply. I'm very limited on travel time being a single mom. But I do want to come out this summer for a few days and really take a good look around. Visit some good orthodox churches. Which ones do you recommend as being conservative (not necessarily with a TLM). I read that Our Lady of Peace in Santa Clara and St Dominic's in San Fran are solid places to go. Any others?

--hide--

Lisa, I don't know much about Orthodox culture and churches, but if you have time, you might check out the Greek Orthodox Church in the Oakland hills. It is a very interesting building, as is the Catholic Cathedral in Oakland (They just finished building it a few years ago for $175 million dollars). Anyway, the Greek Orthodox Church has a huge greek festival with food, and greek dancing and stuff. It is really amazing. Do remember that summer in San Francisco is quite cold. The best month is usually October, which is our indian summer. Summers down in San Jose though will be quite hot, in the 100s. As will further in the east by, Orinda, Walnut Creek Etc.

Jan 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-695247 said: Lisa, I don't know much about Orthodox culture and churches, but if you have time, you might ...
(Quote) Laura-695247 said:

Lisa, I don't know much about Orthodox culture and churches, but if you have time, you might check out the Greek Orthodox Church in the Oakland hills. It is a very interesting building, as is the Catholic Cathedral in Oakland (They just finished building it a few years ago for $175 million dollars). Anyway, the Greek Orthodox Church has a huge greek festival with food, and greek dancing and stuff. It is really amazing. Do remember that summer in San Francisco is quite cold. The best month is usually October, which is our indian summer. Summers down in San Jose though will be quite hot, in the 100s. As will further in the east by, Orinda, Walnut Creek Etc.

--hide--

I didn't mean Orthodox with a capital C. :-) I meant catholic churches where the full truth is preached and not watered down.

Hmm, hot is good, but in the 100s might be pushing it a little. The most important thing for me would be sunny climate, so cloudy San Fran won't work - I'd have to go out east a little bit. The temperature is secondary. I'll have to come and check it out, drive around and visit many different areas. You gave a good idea to sign up for some hikes with meetup and maybe for an event with a church group. I think the biggest thing for me is to find a church where I feel at home and to find a group of friends where I feel a sense of belonging. So far here in San Diego I found neither. sad

Jan 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-695247 said: The dating situation in San Francisco is difficult. Unfortunately it is even worse on this site!<...
(Quote) Laura-695247 said:

The dating situation in San Francisco is difficult. Unfortunately it is even worse on this site!

--hide--

LOL! Luckily this is not a big priority for me right now.

Jan 19th 2013 new

(Quote) John-324285 said: OLOP is the best Novus Ordo mass in the state probably. There is also the Institute of Christ the ...
(Quote) John-324285 said:

--hide--

I'm sure it depends on the neighborhood at least to some extent. I'll be interested to explore and see. Another option on the table is Salt Lake City. We will sure ski our hearts out if we move to Utah. And it's probably as conservative as it gets. Mormon though.

Posts 21 - 30 of 61