Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share
For discussion that revolves around a place, state, or country.
Jan 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-695247 said: The dating situation in San Francisco is difficult. Unfortunately it is even worse o...
(Quote) Laura-695247 said:

The dating situation in San Francisco is difficult. Unfortunately it is even worse on this site!

--hide--
scratchchin

Jan 19th 2013 new

Hi Lisa -- I lived in Moraga for 5 years (East Bay area of SF). It took me a while to find an authentic Catholic church and St. Mary's College in Moraga is hardly recognizably Catholic, but with the appointment of Archibishop Cordeleone, things have started changing. You can get Sacred Heart radio there; recently a convent of Dominican nuns opened in Canyon and that is truly a blessing. If you are into the charismatic movement of Magnificat, they began in the area. Check the websites of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Walnut Creek and St. Margaret Mary in Oakland. The Christ the King priests say mass and there is a small TLM community. When I was there, the Pastor, Fr. Stan, was incredible. There were processions for feast days; confession offered on Sundays up to the reading of the Gospel; the music and worship are transcendent yet truthful. As far as the schools go, I would not move my kids to this area knowing what I know now. (Even De La Salle has many issues). The pot and oxycotin culture is rampant among teens and their enabling parents. It is a beautiful place, but morally loose and full of temptations that absorbed my now ex-husband and two of my three children. It took me 2 years to get out of there. I really had a problem with lesbian softball coaches standing outside of my 3rd grade daughter's school opposing Prop 8; she didn't understand how her classmate had 2 mommies... I would not recommend this area at all for school age children. This is the land of Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein. You can't get much more liberal than that. On the practical level -- just a few examples: the toll booths -- when I moved there in 2005, it was $4.00 to cross the Bay Bridge, it's now $8.00. There is also legislation going around about taxing individual cars for how many miles they travel daily: Prius, ok; Minivan, not so good; SUV, big taxes. These small things add up. I recommend getting acquainted with the area as much as possible - visit when you can, read the papers online. If you want to see home sales, etc, the large county in the east is Contra Costa; Marin in the North. The further you move out, the more affordable and family friendly it becomes (Danville, Walnut Creek). Good luck with your decision!

Jan 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Nina-927863 said: I really had a problem with lesbian softball coaches standing outside of my 3rd grade daughter'...
(Quote) Nina-927863 said:

I really had a problem with lesbian softball coaches standing outside of my 3rd grade daughter's school opposing Prop 8; she didn't understand how her classmate had 2 mommies...

--hide--

eyepopping This was going on in a Catholic school or public?

Jan 19th 2013 new

I only visited but I would love to live there! You can't get away from the crazies easily at this point, and I wouldn't consider it a sin to knowingly move to a place like that. There are beautiful things to be found, no matter where you are. Our world of faith, and the Kingdom of Heaven are on an entirely different plane, and if you can incorporate it into your Earthly world, rather than your Earthly world into the one of faith, you should be fine!

At least in SF you would get a more temperate climate, it can get pretty dang cold and snow at times. But if I had to choose, I would probably stay in SD ;) I really loved it there, almost as much as I loved living in Anaheim.

Jan 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-583970 said: I only visited but I would love to live there! You can't get away from the crazies easily at t...
(Quote) Mary-583970 said:

I only visited but I would love to live there! You can't get away from the crazies easily at this point, and I wouldn't consider it a sin to knowingly move to a place like that. There are beautiful things to be found, no matter where you are. Our world of faith, and the Kingdom of Heaven are on an entirely different plane, and if you can incorporate it into your Earthly world, rather than your Earthly world into the one of faith, you should be fine!

At least in SF you would get a more temperate climate, it can get pretty dang cold and snow at times. But if I had to choose, I would probably stay in SD ;) I really loved it there, almost as much as I loved living in Anaheim.

--hide--

On the other hand the cold won't harm your soul, and may actually do it some good.

Jan 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: On the other hand the cold won't harm your soul, and may actually do it some good.
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

On the other hand the cold won't harm your soul, and may actually do it some good.

--hide--

So the cold in SF would compensate for the liberal craziness? :P

Although I'm confused how cold could do your soul any good...

Jan 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-583970 said: So the cold in SF would compensate for the liberal craziness? :P Although I'...
(Quote) Mary-583970 said:

So the cold in SF would compensate for the liberal craziness? :P

Although I'm confused how cold could do your soul any good...

--hide--

I have heard "Hot showers for the Colds and Cold showers for the Hots" (Col potter MASH).

Maybe a lot of people in SF need a cold shower.laughing

Jan 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-841276 said: I have heard "Hot showers for the Colds and Cold showers for the Hots"
(Quote) Joseph-841276 said:

I have heard "Hot showers for the Colds and Cold showers for the Hots" (Col potter MASH).

Maybe a lot of people in SF need a cold shower.

--hide--
laughing laughing laughing

Jan 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: This was going on in a Catholic school or public?
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

This was going on in a Catholic school or public?

--hide--

Public school. There was only 1 small catholic grade school in Lafayette and with the increase in our housing costs, tuition was unaffordable. However, since these highly outspoken women are girls' softball and basketball coaches, their presence is very public.

Jan 21st 2013 new
If someone knows more about this, I'm all ears. But isn't SF where they have legalized public nudity? Naked men literally on the street? How would you like to see that on a walk with your family?
Posts 31 - 40 of 61