Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share
For discussion that revolves around a place, state, or country.
Jan 21st 2013 new

I think one can be happy in San francisco. it may be just a little harder than some areas

Jan 21st 2013 new

Its a good place to experience suffering for your faith or loose it. When you speak of liberal, SF is the heart of what needs changing in America. When you signed up for Catholic match you had to answer 7 questions. SF is where the answer "NO" would most be found. If you have a choice, don't go!!!

Jan 21st 2013 new

I lived in San Francisco for four years and, although it is a close-knit community with a notable Catholic population, I would think three or four times before ever deciding to move back there. Watch last year's gay pride parade and see how it makes you feel. It is virtually impossible to separate oneself from the liberal tone of this city. What does it mean to you to be a "practicing Catholic"? Does it mean "hate the sin, but love the sinner", does it call you to public evangelization about the sin of sexual perversions or abortion, does it mean "you do your thing and I'll do mine"? These are all questions you must be comfortable in responding to and know your own limitations about tolerance and what that means to you. You will find many Catholics who are comfortable in receiving the Holy Eucharist while supporting or participating in perverse sexuality and other sinful activities. How will it make you feel to interact with people who are publicly perpetuating deeply sinful actions? How will you respond to this? Is it something you can, or even want to, turn a blind eye toward? If it possible, I would encourage you to spend a good amount of time visiting San Francisco before deciding to make a full-scale move. Above all, give this over to God. He will open and close the appropriate doors to guide you in making the proper choice.

Jan 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Susan-635047 said: I lived in San Francisco for four years and, although it is a close-knit community with a notable...
(Quote) Susan-635047 said:

I lived in San Francisco for four years and, although it is a close-knit community with a notable Catholic population, I would think three or four times before ever deciding to move back there. Watch last year's gay pride parade and see how it makes you feel. It is virtually impossible to separate oneself from the liberal tone of this city. What does it mean to you to be a "practicing Catholic"? Does it mean "hate the sin, but love the sinner", does it call you to public evangelization about the sin of sexual perversions or abortion, does it mean "you do your thing and I'll do mine"? These are all questions you must be comfortable in responding to and know your own limitations about tolerance and what that means to you. You will find many Catholics who are comfortable in receiving the Holy Eucharist while supporting or participating in perverse sexuality and other sinful activities. How will it make you feel to interact with people who are publicly perpetuating deeply sinful actions? How will you respond to this? Is it something you can, or even want to, turn a blind eye toward? If it possible, I would encourage you to spend a good amount of time visiting San Francisco before deciding to make a full-scale move. Above all, give this over to God. He will open and close the appropriate doors to guide you in making the proper choice.

--hide--

San Diego has regular gay pride parades too - I just don't go to the neighborhoods where they happen. You are right about visiting first before deciding to move - I plan to go this summer for a week and explore the area. San Jose is actually a stronger contender right now - so I'll be interested to see how it compares to San Fran and if it's a little more "normal" as far as the liberal tone of the city goes. As far as if I can turn a blind eye - it depends on how in my face the immoral behavior is. If I have to see gay people walking hand in hand in the street more than once in a great while, I would have a hard time tolerating that. I imagine this is quite common in many areas of San Fran, which is one of the reasons I don't plan to move into the city itself. However, I have heard of some nice surburbs in the area where I imagine this won't be flaunted, and I'll have to see how San Jose is.

Sadly, there are many Catholics everywhere who are comfortable receiving Communion while either in sin themselves or holding beliefs incompatible with the Catholic teachings. For me, it's about finding my "niche" in a city. Will it happen? I don't know. I'm hoping God will let me know when I get there to visit.

Jan 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Susan-635047 said: I lived in San Francisco for four years and, although it is a close-knit community with a notable...
(Quote) Susan-635047 said:

--hide--

I lived in Oakland and San Fran for 10 years! I live in the shadow of the parking lot where Christ the King stands today! I attended Our Lady of Lourdes, on lake Merritt before that, and even after; In San Fran I lived in Noe Valley in the shadow of the Castro, the center of Gay Life! I witnessed strange things, but I had a Church community that I relied on, depended very much on my faith and strength to sustain me. I learnt John Paul's TOTB at the Dominican, in Berkley. Point is if you focus on other people's practices of sexuality as yardstick of your faith and the way you live your life, you will be disappointed. Notice the bigotry of the South and the hate in Arizona, or even Western New York for that matter; read some of the contributions in these forums by the so self-professed Catholics or even Baptists, and you will be disappointed.

San Francisco is a great place to live, and one can vote Republican if they wish, and people do all the time. So Pelosi, or Fernstein should not count in your decision over where to live. You will have an amazing fulfilment in your faith in San Fran. There are great priests and nuns and monks including practitioners of the Opus Dei...everything is there....and if San Fran goes to the sea in the next quake, so be it! its God's will. During the civil war, the South in some places was turned into ash! They hated Catholicism, and some of them still do today; we know where their values were, and some still are; Point is, go to San Fran, focus on what is best for you and your kids. You will be amazed by the sense of community in San Fran!

Jan 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Edward-512961 said: If someone knows more about this, I'm all ears. But isn't SF where they have legalized public n...
(Quote) Edward-512961 said: If someone knows more about this, I'm all ears. But isn't SF where they have legalized public nudity? Naked men literally on the street? How would you like to see that on a walk with your family?
--hide--

This caught my attention, so I looked it up. San Fran is going to have a ban go into effect on Feb 1 banning public nudity. It's quite sad that the courts funded by taxpayer dollars have to deal with such craziness.

Here in San Diego we actually do have one nude beach. I'm sure most people, including me, just stay away from it. It would be harder to ignore on the streets of course, but again, I doubt there are nude people walking all over San Fran - probably just in some areas known for this kind of thing. These wouldn't be the types of area I would visit anyway. Sad though, either way.

Jan 22nd 2013 new

Karis,

You did not mention in your post that you have also been such an ardent supporter of Obama (in the forums) and most of his socially very liberal policies leading up to the elections. It is no wonder that you would find San Francisco to be such a great place to live, but perhaps that would be useful information for Lisa as she evaluates whether or not she would be well-suited to live in SF. You really didn't reveal your bias in your post, which could be useful to understanding your comments.... Of course, you are certainly entitled to your own views and opinions, but would it not also be appropriate to convey such when trying to help someone (whom is apparently much more conservative) in making a decision to live in the area?

Just my thoughts.

Ed

Jan 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I'm just curious, what does looking for a man have to do with living in a liberal vs. conserv...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I'm just curious, what does looking for a man have to do with living in a liberal vs. conservative city?

My son will be in high school by then, so it's not like he is little. He doesn't attend public schools, so that helps. Too much exposure to immorality is not good though even at that age, you are right about that.

--hide--

San Francisco has historically been a more sophisticated city than San Diego. It is a beautiful area, if one can afford to live there in the more scenic areas. They also have a change in seasons there that is moreso than in Los Angeles or San Diego.

Personally, I would not care to live there, but don't mind visiting there, as long as I can leave if I want to.
Jan 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I'm just curious, what does looking for a man have to do with living in a liberal vs. conserv...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I'm just curious, what does looking for a man have to do with living in a liberal vs. conservative city?

My son will be in high school by then, so it's not like he is little. He doesn't attend public schools, so that helps. Too much exposure to immorality is not good though even at that age, you are right about that.

--hide--

As long as you are ok with dating liberal men (who may of course be Catholic), then you may like it there.
Jan 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) ED-20630 said: Karis, You did not mention in your post that you have also been such an ardent supporter of Obam...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Karis,

You did not mention in your post that you have also been such an ardent supporter of Obama (in the forums) and most of his socially very liberal policies leading up to the elections. It is no wonder that you would find San Francisco to be such a great place to live, but perhaps that would be useful information for Lisa as she evaluates whether or not she would be well-suited to live in SF. You really didn't reveal your bias in your post, which could be useful to understanding your comments.... Of course, you are certainly entitled to your own views and opinions, but would it not also be appropriate to convey such when trying to help someone (whom is apparently much more conservative) in making a decision to live in the area?

Just my thoughts.

Ed

--hide--

Ed,

I agree with you. But, remember that here in CA, age 35 is well, young!

I don't open every online conversation of mine with, "please note that I am a conservative."
Posts 41 - 50 of 61