Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: radio.foxnews.com.
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

radio.foxnews.com

Marianne - do I recall you saying you have access to the newspaper that published the map of gun owners' homes? If so, I'd be interested in their response to this.

--hide--

Jerry: It turns out that the newspaper put an interactive map on their website. You can find a street and then
on the street there would be one or two or three red dots meaning that was the number of gun owners on that
street. No names or addresses were mentioned.

If you like, I can try to find the website so you can see.

I think the story about the gunowner being burglarized has to be bogus if he attributes it to the map.

Jan 15th 2013 new

radio.foxnews.com

Marianne - do I recall you saying you have access to the newspaper that published the map of gun owners' homes? If so, I'd be interested in their response to this.

--hide--

Jerry:

This is the website published by the Journal News or lohud.com

www.lohud.com

Jan 15th 2013 new

radio.foxnews.com

--hide--

Well, now Jerry they have the names and addresses on the maps. I thought originally they only had the red dots on the
streets.

Jan 15th 2013 new

This is unthinkably aweful! How could they do this?!? Though in my experience, most of the folks (not all) that I've met who are anti-gun-anywhere kind of people don't really think logically anyway. Funny how this country never would have won the war for indepence if not for private gun ownership. rolling eyes

Jan 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-189584 said: ... FEAR my government ....
(Quote) Peter-189584 said: ... FEAR my government ....
--hide--

It's an irrational fear. Why would the government want to shoot you when it can put you out of action by suing you with pockets deeper than yours, tying you up in the courts and bankrupting you?

The fear did make sense - once upon a time - when weapons technology was so primitive that the government owned the same quality of musket that you did. Now they have stuff so dangerous that even the NRA wouldn't want you to be able to buy them. As far as force is concerned, you and your Sig Sauer wanting to take a brave stand against the military (or police) might of the national security state ... good luck to you .... and don't expect anything more than pious words from your fellow enthusiasts of liberty if you do take a stand or if the government does come for you. They won't be standing next to you or between you and the government (ask David Koresh). They'll be oozing sanctimony from a media platform a safe distance away. They might speak at your funeral but one thing they won't be doing is standing shoulder-to-shoulder with you against the armed agents of the state.

In any case, the rationale for bearing arms in case of potential tyranny died when Roe V Wade became the law of the land. What's the most important human right? The right to life. Are thousands of humans being murdered every year with the active or tacit assistance of the state? Yup. Is there tyranny happening now? If you're a foetus, yup. So, anyone in the NRA or the Tea Party or whoever raising a firearm against the government for violating this fundamental right? Nope. So there you go. This noble talk about packing a gun to defend liberty is horse manure, and has been so at least since 1973. After all, if you're not going to use your firearm now to protect an innocent child from being killed today, when are you going to use your firearm?

Guns are useful for practical things like protection against crime and for sport. But as a constitutional icon like the tablets on which the Ten Commandments were carved? Oh, puh-leeze.

Jan 19th 2013 new
(Quote) Peter-189584 said: So having firearms in the house will likely escalate the violence if/when criminals decide to break in ...
(Quote) Peter-189584 said:

So having firearms in the house will likely escalate the violence if/when criminals decide to break in and will make the house an increased target for robbery from criminals who want more guns? I agree.

I agree that publishing the households that have guns is not a good idea, but I also think that not many households should have guns. More guns = more access to guns for people who shouldn't have them.

I have never heard of gun owners being significant victims of vandalism from anti-gun protestors.

--hide--

Baloney!!

My brother was 15 and home alone, out in the country, when a van pulled up to the house. Two men got out with a dolly and approached the door. As they opened it, they were met face-to-face with my brother aiming a rifle at them and two Great Danes at his side.

Guns, yes! Liberals, NO!!
Jan 19th 2013 new
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said: This is unthinkably aweful! How could they do this?!? Though in my experience, most of the folks (not all) that...
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said:

This is unthinkably aweful! How could they do this?!? Though in my experience, most of the folks (not all) that I've met who are anti-gun-anywhere kind of people don't really think logically anyway. Funny how this country never would have won the war for indepence if not for private gun ownership.

--hide--

clap clap Bow
Jan 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Edward-512961 said: Baloney!! My brother was 15 and home alone, out in the country, when a van pulled up to...
(Quote) Edward-512961 said:

Baloney!!

My brother was 15 and home alone, out in the country, when a van pulled up to the house. Two men got out with a dolly and approached the door. As they opened it, they were met face-to-face with my brother aiming a rifle at them and two Great Danes at his side.

Guns, yes! Liberals, NO!!
--hide--

You're not clear as to which part you don't agree with, or what benefit the gun had...I suspect the Great Danes helped just as much as the gun...

Jan 20th 2013 new

This is a very interesting video. I saw it on FOX news a few days ago.

This is a recent video by "Project Veritas". I believe that this is the same group of people that did the undercover videos of ACORN and Planned Parenthood some time ago.

This time the group poses as a new anti-gun group. They visit the homes of media reporters, columnists, etc., who have spoken out in favor of gun control, confiscating "assault" rifles, etc. This group shows up at the doors of these media people and asks them to put a sign on their front lawn stating that "This home is proudly gun-free". Not surprising... While everyone agrees with the anti-gun message, no one will agree to put a sign on their lawn stating that the home is "gun-free". Apparently they think that it would not be a wise thing to do. Duh. scratchchin Some of these people even have armed security guards on their property. Kind of hypocritical.

www.youtube.com

Ed

Jan 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-189584 said: I am sure that we both agree that it may not be the actual presence of the firearms that ...
(Quote) Peter-189584 said:

I am sure that we both agree that it may not be the actual presence of the firearms that increases the risk of a house being targeted for theft of firearms, but the knowledge that firearms exist (or are likely to exist) in a house...whether that be by the existence of a published map, or the blabbing of people who know of the existence of firearms in the house, or other characteristics of the house & yard or people who live there (i.e. NRA bumper sticker, deer hanging in the garage, military/police occupant, etc)

I disagree that the escalated violence of firearms in the home is usually at the expense of the intruder...I'm not sure if you were suggesting that or not, but I think you were, even if your exact wording was "in some cases" which is pretty much meaningless as that could mean in 1% of cases or 99% of cases. Not to mention that having extensive gun ownership for reasons other than casual hunting, sport shooting, or varmint control in rural areas, much increases the possibility of accidental or "crime of passion" shootings.

I haven't heard of any mass shootings in Australia, and very few in Canada or the UK. I have heard of several in the USA.

In any case, I feel fortunate to have always lived in areas where I did not FEAR my government and fellow humans to the extent that it seems many of you in the USA do. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I've lived in areas where common sense and respect for others is abundant.

--hide--

Part of the difference between the situations in the former colonies of Australia and Canada compared to the USA, is that the US colonies were born into independent statehood of guerilla-style revolution. Americans are propagandized from a young age into the revolutionary mindset by public school and american television. This is why there's so much irrational firearm bias.

However, there's a rational side to firearm possession as well...and that is a Catholic doctrine called subsidiarity (matters ought to be handled by the lowest competent authority; that is, from individual up to the state level, whichever is the lowest competent authority). In the case of firearm ownership, if a person is not legally declared a minor person and assigned a guardian, it is in his own realm of authority to determine whether or not to own one: If you do not wish to own a firearm, fine, I defer to your judgment for your life decision. If I wish to own a firearm and have not been declared a minor person by the state, fine, that is my business. If John Doe down the street wishes to own an arsenal and has not been declared a minor person by the state, fine...I defer to his judgment and leave it as his business.

Posts 21 - 30 of 101