Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 20th 2013 new
(Quote) Meg-920823 said: An armed populace represents the ultimate check on tyranny. The founders did not specify the...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said:

An armed populace represents the ultimate check on tyranny.

The founders did not specify these obvious rights just as the Constitution is silent regarding our freedoms to eat, sleep and breathe. Of course men have the right nay the duty to protect their families.

Taken from Forbes article by Bill Flax:

www.forbes.com
--hide--

Tyranny can be from a ruler or government or it can be from evil minded persons who have guns.
Jan 20th 2013 new

You are so right! Judge Pirro has common sense which is something many judges totally lack. Same goes for our legislative and executive branches...

Jan 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Edward-512961 said: If he had not had the rifle, they could have easily shot him and the dogs. As it turned out, m...
(Quote) Edward-512961 said:

If he had not had the rifle, they could have easily shot him and the dogs. As it turned out, my brother had the dogs, the rifle, and the element of surprise.
--hide--

Maybe your original post wasn't clear enough...as you made no mention of the intent (nor the perceived intent) of the men showing up to the door. Were they armed? Guns drawn? Or were they furniture delivery/pickup men who got the location wrong (or right)? Did your brother know the men? Why jump to the conclusion that they were up to no good?

This reminds me of something that happened to me the other night...I was coming home from work (around 6PM), walked up the stairs to my apartment, put my key in the lock to open the door. But my key didn't work, so I kept jiggling it in the lock for a few seconds before I realized that I was on the second floor and not the third floor! Embarassed I sheepishly left and went up to my apartment. I don't know if anyone was home in that apartment or not, but I sure am glad that they didn't open the door with a rifle pointed at me! I'm also glad I don't live in a place where just walking up to someone's door is enough to have the occupants grabbing a weapon to greet me with.

Jan 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: An armed populace represents the ultimate check on tyranny. The founders did not specify t...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said:

An armed populace represents the ultimate check on tyranny.

The founders did not specify these obvious rights just as the Constitution is silent regarding our freedoms to eat, sleep and breathe. Of course men have the right nay the duty to protect their families.

Taken from Forbes article by Bill Flax:

www.forbes.com
--hide--

I do think an armed populace represents the ultimate check on tyranny. I never more felt the need as when
Obama took office. I remember when as a candidate for president he spoke about "citizen soldiers." That is when
I realized Americans need to be armed.

Jan 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: I am using the example of convicted criminals as a class of people who are treated as ...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

I am using the example of convicted criminals as a class of people who are treated as minor persons by the state. Depending upon what country you live in, if you're a convicted criminal, you cannot have a driver license, take public oaths, or make contracts, etc. because you've abused the liberty of being a first-class citizen. You've proven unworthy of the liberty, therefore the state takes it away...and assigns you a guardian, i.e., parole or probation officer. There are other classes of people treated as minor persons by the state, as well, such as those under the arbitrary majority age and immigrants working toward full citizenship.

My point is, if one has not abused his liberty, is of majority age and is reckognized as having the distinction of a first-class citizen, he can't morally be treated as an abuser and have his liberty restricted by a higher level authority.

--hide--

OK, now I understand. Good point.

Jan 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Peter-189584 said: Maybe your original post wasn't clear enough...as you made no mention of the intent (nor the percei...
(Quote) Peter-189584 said:

Maybe your original post wasn't clear enough...as you made no mention of the intent (nor the perceived intent) of the men showing up to the door. Were they armed? Guns drawn? Or were they furniture delivery/pickup men who got the location wrong (or right)? Did your brother know the men? Why jump to the conclusion that they were up to no good?

This reminds me of something that happened to me the other night...I was coming home from work (around 6PM), walked up the stairs to my apartment, put my key in the lock to open the door. But my key didn't work, so I kept jiggling it in the lock for a few seconds before I realized that I was on the second floor and not the third floor! Embarassed I sheepishly left and went up to my apartment. I don't know if anyone was home in that apartment or not, but I sure am glad that they didn't open the door with a rifle pointed at me! I'm also glad I don't live in a place where just walking up to someone's door is enough to have the occupants grabbing a weapon to greet me with.

--hide--

No delivery was expected, nor did they say they were there for such. My parents' cars were gone. They fit the description of burglars that were hitting the area at the time. They said "OH SHIT!!" and took off. My brother correctly assessed the situation, took appropriate action, and no one got hurt.

Typical lib...you're so quick to defend the criminal and minimize the right. Glad you're in Canada; Tories not welcome here.
Jan 21st 2013 new

I actually think that its is about being armed or over armed. I have several firearms, that i use to hunt with think that some limits must be placed so all this mass killings are lesssened.

Jan 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Edward-512961 said: No delivery was expected, nor did they say they were there for such. My parents' cars were ...
(Quote) Edward-512961 said:

No delivery was expected, nor did they say they were there for such. My parents' cars were gone. They fit the description of burglars that were hitting the area at the time. They said "OH SHIT!!" and took off. My brother correctly assessed the situation, took appropriate action, and no one got hurt.

Typical lib...you're so quick to defend the criminal and minimize the right. Glad you're in Canada; Tories not welcome here.
--hide--

I'm not defending any criminals...nothing in your story indicated they were criminals though. It's not against the law to pull into someone's yard and walk up to the door. Maybe you're not telling the whole story though. I am generally against jumping to conclusions - I wasn't there so I won't pretend to know what your brother knew and saw. Did he ask them what they were doing before pointing a rifle at them? Were they wearing masks? What makes you think they'd shoot up the dogs and your brother if he hadn't had a rifle? Did your brother ask them if they were sure they had the right house? I'd take off running too if someone aimed a gun at me if I was just lost too.

What do you mean by Tories? Here in Canada the Tories are the right-wing conservative political party...I'm guessing you're political leanings are to the conservative/Republican side, so I'm guessing your meaning of Tories is different...

Jan 22nd 2013 new
If guns kill, then why do people walk out of gun shows alive? It is not the guns, it is the users. If we somehow managed to take all guns away, ALL guns, then other methods would be used to kill. The best defense is a strong offense. Own and know how to safely use a gun, I believe.
Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: If guns kill, then why do people walk out of gun shows alive? It is not the guns, it is the users. If we s...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said: If guns kill, then why do people walk out of gun shows alive? It is not the guns, it is the users. If we somehow managed to take all guns away, ALL guns, then other methods would be used to kill. The best defense is a strong offense. Own and know how to safely use a gun, I believe.
--hide--

Guns do not kill on their own, but quick and easy access to them (and the ammunition), along with the attitude that they are there for protection from other people, do make it so people can kill one or more people quickly.

As for your question about why do people walk out of gun shows alive, they don't always. Did you hear about the following?? guardianlv.com

Posts 41 - 50 of 101