Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-189584 said: I'm not defending any criminals...nothing in your story indicated they were crimina...
(Quote) Peter-189584 said:

I'm not defending any criminals...nothing in your story indicated they were criminals though. It's not against the law to pull into someone's yard and walk up to the door. Maybe you're not telling the whole story though. I am generally against jumping to conclusions - I wasn't there so I won't pretend to know what your brother knew and saw. Did he ask them what they were doing before pointing a rifle at them? Were they wearing masks? What makes you think they'd shoot up the dogs and your brother if he hadn't had a rifle? Did your brother ask them if they were sure they had the right house? I'd take off running too if someone aimed a gun at me if I was just lost too.

What do you mean by Tories? Here in Canada the Tories are the right-wing conservative political party...I'm guessing you're political leanings are to the conservative/Republican side, so I'm guessing your meaning of Tories is different...

--hide--

For Americans the tories are those who did not approve of the independence of the original colonies and so fought on the side of the British in the Revolutionary war. Maybe he's suggesting that you're putting a crimp on American independence with what you're espousing. :)

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-189584 said: Guns do not kill on their own, but quick and easy access to them (and the ammunition), al...

Guns do not kill on their own, but quick and easy access to them (and the ammunition), along with the attitude that they are there for protection from other people, do make it so people can kill one or more people quickly.

As for your question about why do people walk out of gun shows alive, they don't always. Did you hear about the following?? guardianlv.com

--hide--

You're not going to convince anyone. :) Bad people are going to do bad things regardless of what laws are made. The fact that the current gun laws in America are not preventing access to criminals is a big tipper, I think, that American philosophy is too bound up with revolutionary ideals to banish gun possession to any effectiveness. It doesn't matter, overly, anyway. Gun ownership is not preventing any individual person from attaining salvation.

Jan 24th 2013 new

Praying crossfingers wave smile
I dont have the clapping sign how do i get that?

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: For Americans the tories are those who did not approve of the independence of the origi...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

For Americans the tories are those who did not approve of the independence of the original colonies and so fought on the side of the British in the Revolutionary war. Maybe he's suggesting that you're putting a crimp on American independence with what you're espousing. :)

--hide--

Thanks for the info Chelsea. I had no idea that those fighting against the original colonies were called tories.

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Jane-933948 said: I dont have the clapping sign how do i get that?
(Quote) Jane-933948 said:

I dont have the clapping sign how do i get that?

--hide--

What are you wanting to clap about? Depending on your answer I may or may not tell you how you too can clap mischievous laughing laughing laughing

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: You're not going to convince anyone. :) Bad people are going to do bad things rega...

You're not going to convince anyone. :) Bad people are going to do bad things regardless of what laws are made. The fact that the current gun laws in America are not preventing access to criminals is a big tipper, I think, that American philosophy is too bound up with revolutionary ideals to banish gun possession to any effectiveness. It doesn't matter, overly, anyway. Gun ownership is not preventing any individual person from attaining salvation.

--hide--

But I want to convince someone! It's lonely being the only right person here! laughing
I do pretty much agree with everything you said in this post. Of course bad people are going to do bad things regardless of the laws - heck, a lot of good people do bad things too. I would argue though that current gun laws do prevent gun access to SOME criminals (and potential criminals), or at least make the access more difficult. It is very nearly impossible to COMPLETELY prevent all access to guns, but just because we cannot completely prevent access does not mean we should not try to limit access, otherwise we should just hand out guns to everyone everywhere. Having said that, my issue is more with the attitude that many Americans have regarding their right to bear arms, and the fear they seem to have of each other and their government (which is a democratically elected government) than the actual gun laws or lack thereof.

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-189584 said: Thanks for the info Chelsea. I had no idea that those fighting against the original colonies ...

Thanks for the info Chelsea. I had no idea that those fighting against the original colonies were called tories.

--hide--
I forgot to write that the tories were colonials themselves, they were merely the British loyalists, etc.

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: I forgot to write that the tories were colonials themselves, they were merely the British loyal...

I forgot to write that the tories were colonials themselves, they were merely the British loyalists, etc.

--hide--

Was it only the British loyalists within the colonies that were called tories? Or were the British loyalists from outside of the colonies also called tories? (such as the people who lived in what became Canada - you know, like the ones that made it all the way to the White House and burnt it)? stir the pot! Its getting cold! laughing

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-189584 said: But I want to convince someone! It's lonely being the only right person here! I do pr...

But I want to convince someone! It's lonely being the only right person here!
I do pretty much agree with everything you said in this post. Of course bad people are going to do bad things regardless of the laws - heck, a lot of good people do bad things too. I would argue though that current gun laws do prevent gun access to SOME criminals (and potential criminals), or at least make the access more difficult. It is very nearly impossible to COMPLETELY prevent all access to guns, but just because we cannot completely prevent access does not mean we should not try to limit access, otherwise we should just hand out guns to everyone everywhere. Having said that, my issue is more with the attitude that many Americans have regarding their right to bear arms, and the fear they seem to have of each other and their government (which is a democratically elected government) than the actual gun laws or lack thereof.

--hide--

I don't agree with you 100%, but to some degree, I do.

I don't have any problem with the government wanting firearms for carry to be licensed and such, just like driving privileges are licensed. I think that it's a pipe-dream, however, to think that one is limiting firearms for the intention of preventing criminals to get ahold of firemarms. It seems to me a waste of tax payer money to attempt to go that route.

I am not for your hyperbolic statement :P that the government then should hand out guns to everyone everywhere as a logical conclusion. I take it as a joke.

Besides that, our representatives may be democratically elected, but the supreme court justices and president are not...and all of them make law to some degree. America is a very weird place...people think that the wild west died...but it seems to me very much alive in the American philosophy taught in school, music and on TV. Just listen to old cowboy/country-western songs and you'll get a taste of it. In a way it's a philosophy about as ingrained as Islam is in Muslims...which can hardly be dealt with on a rational level.

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-189584 said: Was it only the British loyalists within the colonies that were called tories? Or were th...

Was it only the British loyalists within the colonies that were called tories? Or were the British loyalists from outside of the colonies also called tories? (such as the people who lived in what became Canada - you know, like the ones that made it all the way to the White House and burnt it)?

--hide--

To my understanding, it was only the colonial British loyalists (in the original 13 colonies) who were called tories. You need to listen to some of our 1950's propaganda music...it's hilarious... Like the Battle of New Orleans by Johnny Horton:

www.youtube.com

You'll probably crack up. I always do when I hear those songs.

Posts 51 - 60 of 101