Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

01/21/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: How about adding a check box to make it simple? Just under it we can have one for ...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

How about adding a check box to make it simple?

Just under it we can have one for "I tend to jump to uncharitable conclusions about other people without thinking of alternate explanations for the situation."

--hide--

Of course there can be any number of remarkable events and freak occurences which hinders members from answering a friendly hello from another fellow human being. A giant squid could be physically hindering them from reaching the computer or perhaps they suddenly developed a five second memory span. Both events could happen. But most likely there is a very simple explanation: they didn't bother, which is rude. Are you familiar with the term Occam's razor?

duck

01/21/2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: Of course there can be any number of remarkable events and freak occurences which hinder...
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

Of course there can be any number of remarkable events and freak occurences which hinders members from answering a friendly hello from another fellow human being. A giant squid could be physically hindering them from reaching the computer or perhaps they suddenly developed a five second memory span. Both events could happen. But most likely there is a very simple explanation: they didn't bother, which is rude. Are you familiar with the term Occam's razor?

--hide--

Yep. The simplest explanation is the best. That's why Jerry suggested the simple check off box. laughing

01/21/2013 new

(Quote) Ed-442168 said: One phrase: "consumer sensitivity"www.yalereviewofbooks.com.
(Quote) Ed-442168 said:

One phrase: "consumer sensitivity"

www.yalereviewofbooks.com

This brainchild has a way of growing into something much more shallow. I like to play the game at times but sling a few arrows at the less enlightened. It keeps me sane.

--hide--

Not particularly clear as to whom you are responding to. I skimmed your book review, which talks about the tolerance movement and their quest to remove all "offensive" (meaning anything true) opinions from educational texts. Are you concurring with my statements about living in reality about the state of the CM community (that we're all in need of redemption) or to the CM process in general?

01/21/2013 new

Sunglasses!

Hi Peter, actually they aren't - just light sensitive ones. Maybe you're right, I will see if I can find one taken indoors. (Though I am an outdoor girl!) I do have a lovely picture of me without glasses at all. Unfortunately it's 25 years old. Could get sued under the Trades Descriptions Act! hahaha

01/21/2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: Hi Marion, I've pondered this myself. I tend to be a talker and that also translates into wo...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

Hi Marion, I've pondered this myself. I tend to be a talker and that also translates into wordy when in written form. I also tend to be pretty transparent so I share. I think however there is an expectation already in place that contact has to be or is geared only to potential mates. Had I met some of these gentlemen through my profession and sent the same emails, we would be having a lively email correspondence and maybe even lunch or beers in the evening after work just because its enjoyable and we have things to talk about, are intelligent and articulate and can be funny. We'd sign off at night and not think twice about it. We'd say goodnight in the parking lot and go our separate ways and not think twice about it.

I think it is a bit delusional to think that the initial messages are anything but saying high, feeling out similar interests etc. I know I don't really have a clue if I like the other person or not and there is no way they could know that about me either. And, it very well may be that at the end I'd like to correspond because I like the person but know they are not my love interest. But, not making a connection on that level doesn't mean we might not make connections on other levels and I think it is a disservice to oneself to not respond in a cordial manner to all messages, and see what friendships might develop as well.

After responding to a similar forum question, I went back to my messages and realized I had to emotigrams that I had not responded to, so I sent emotigrams back. I have to say, I don't get the emotigram thing except for maybe holidays or the first message or two and perhaps interpersed in later correspondence when you want the other person to know you were thinking about them but didn't have time to necessarily write.

Additionally, what would be difficult about saying A.) I only check messages once or twice a week, so don't worry if you don't hear back right away. or B.) I'll be out of town for the next three weeks, I'll get back with you when I get back?

That way no one is rereading their emails to see if they said something horrible and didn't realize it, or wondering if you did something else wrong. or C.) if you get a long email with lots of questions -- pick one and answer that and say too many questions to ponder at one time with a smile. . .

--hide--

Hi Lauren - exactly so, exactly. You seem to understand what I am saying. When we were 12 years old and spoke to, or even mentioned, a particular boy, there would be cries of "Oooooh! Do you fancy him then?" For crying out loud, even on a site like this where we are openly saying "I want to meet someone special", we are not 12 years old any more.

01/21/2013 new

(Quote) Caroline-930073 said: don't worry, my "viewed me" guys usually don't get past the line w...
(Quote) Caroline-930073 said:

don't worry, my "viewed me" guys usually don't get past the line where it says I have five kids. still at home. ages 5-16. Great advertising huh? ;-)

--hide--

Caroline - you got me rolling on the floor. I have that line too - (mine are 15 to 24 though and only three at home). That line should definitely go right at the end of our particulars. Otherwise, never mind the sunglasses - I may as well put a paper bag over me head!

01/21/2013 new

(Quote) Marie-801309 said: Marion you have a great profile and I'd say you are great company. Do NOT take no response to...
(Quote) Marie-801309 said:

Marion you have a great profile and I'd say you are great company. Do NOT take no response too personally.

M

--hide--

Awww, thanks Marie. One tip I would like to give everybody: when you have filled out your initial profile using the site's "form" layout, click edit profile and you can then delete everything in the boxes and write your own stuff. People who have done this appear far more 3 dimensional.

Additionally, I wish there was a "Like" button under posts as on Facebook, as I have read so much that I like and agree with and could sit all night reading them. Many thanks to everyone.

01/21/2013 new

(Quote) Marion-824292 said: Sunglasses! Hi Peter, actually they aren'...
(Quote) Marion-824292 said:

Sunglasses!

Hi Peter, actually they aren't - just light sensitive ones. Maybe you're right, I will see if I can find one taken indoors. (Though I am an outdoor girl!) I do have a lovely picture of me without glasses at all. Unfortunately it's 25 years old. Could get sued under the Trades Descriptions Act! hahaha

--hide--
Doesn't matter, they're blocking your eyes. Rule #2: Indoors use existing light only- no flash! Flash is never flattering! Better yet, use my advice in my first comment regarding taking pictures outdoors.

Good luck theheart

01/21/2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Doesn't matter, they're blocking your eyes. Rule #2: Indoors use existing light only- no ...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Doesn't matter, they're blocking your eyes. Rule #2: Indoors use existing light only- no flash! Flash is never flattering! Better yet, use my advice in my first comment regarding taking pictures outdoors.

Good luck

--hide--

Thanks Peter - I've uploaded another one. When it's approved, do let me know if it's better!

01/21/2013 new

(Quote) Marion-824292 said: Thanks Peter - I've uploaded another one. When it's approved, do let me kno...
(Quote) Marion-824292 said:

Thanks Peter - I've uploaded another one. When it's approved, do let me know if it's better!

--hide--
Much better- it's all about the eyes!

Blessings, theheart

Pete

Posts 31 - 40 of 81