Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Not sure if this is on topic or off topic but your heavy topic brings to mind a choice I made to...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

Not sure if this is on topic or off topic but your heavy topic brings to mind a choice I made tonight. As I have shared before I lost my son to an overdose of a synthetic drug. St Gregory's college hosted an open meeting tonight with someone from poison prevention center and someone from law enforcement tonight. I went and I ended up sharing my story tonight. I ended up with a lot of thank you's and several hugs from people I have never met. I was actually told by the poison prevention center person that my just showing up and having the courage to tell my story probably did as much good as his prepared talk on the subject. While I doubt that I do hope that they can do some good with what they presented tonight.....
--hide--

Wow Brenda! That is awesome! It takes a lot of courage to share such a painful memory. I am sure that many people will benefit from your courage!

Jan 15th 2013 new
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: Wow Brenda! That is awesome! It takes a lot of courage to share such a painful memory. ...
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said:

Wow Brenda! That is awesome! It takes a lot of courage to share such a painful memory. I am sure that many people will benefit from your courage!

--hide--

Thanks, I did not feel courageous at all, in fact I wondered why I was there at first when it was clear to me most everyone who showed up were either health care or law enforcement personnel.....
Jan 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: (Quote) Naomi-825244 said: Kristen, this is by far the deepest discussio...

Quote:
Naomi-825244 said:

Kristen, this is by far the deepest discussion I have ever seen in a forum to date! I really like your musing here, and it reminds me of a quote from something: it is better to have loved and lost than to never have known love at all.

I agree - reminds me of the movie about CS Lewis (with Anthony Hopkins) called The Shadowlands - where he poses the question of which is better: to choose to be safe and to have risked nothing for love, or to love, risking all even for a deep love with another even if it is not lasting (Lewis married his wife knowing she had cancer). Lewis, as a man, chose LOVE over safety.

--hide--

Additionally, in another time in another type of wondering, Ben Franklin said that he who sacrifices freedom for temporary safety, deserves neither freedom nor safety. It is not "safe" to love, but it embraces freedom.

Jan 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-766671 said: Interesting post Kristen, and I think very relevant! Our culture is so much about being #1, hav...
(Quote) Jessica-766671 said:

Interesting post Kristen, and I think very relevant! Our culture is so much about being #1, having the "freedom" to choose what you want, when you want and how you want. Yet, things are constantly changing...I'm not that old, but I'm amazed at how much the culture has changed from when I was a teen to what our teens and early 20-somethings deal with. Things are always in flux and there are so many options to choose from. I feel like for many of us it can be overwhelming because since you can choose anything you want there is an underlying pressure that makes you feel that the choice you make has to be the "perfect" one. And that can cause plenty of wavering and second-guessing.

--hide--

TRUE DAT! I rarely hear that I'm missing out on something by being single. Some women say they're jealous of my freedom. I'm content either way but feel marriage is my vocation; but, who knows, maybe I'm wrong. So I'm just happy with life until someone makes me happier than I am. lol I don't feel I've missed out on anything yet. But, who knows, in 20 years, I might be depressed. wink

Jan 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: TRUE DAT! I rarely hear that I'm missing out on something by being singl...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

TRUE DAT! I rarely hear that I'm missing out on something by being single. Some women say they're jealous of my freedom. I'm content either way but feel marriage is my vocation; but, who knows, maybe I'm wrong. So I'm just happy with life until someone makes me happier than I am. lol I don't feel I've missed out on anything yet. But, who knows, in 20 years, I might be depressed.

--hide--

I don't think you will be depressed, Tara. I'm not! But I guess I have 10 years to go yet... But I think if we are grateful for the blessings of life now, that won't change later!

Jan 15th 2013 new
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: I don't think you will be depressed, Tara. I'm not! But I guess I have 10 years...

I don't think you will be depressed, Tara. I'm not! But I guess I have 10 years to go yet... But I think if we are grateful for the blessings of life now, that won't change later!

--hide--

Yikes where does that leave me??? Lol
Jan 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: I don't think you will be depressed, Tara. I'm not! But I guess I have 10 ...

--hide--

There is a "me mentality" out there... go for the best job, best car, best house, best spouse, etc. It's kind of like, I know I'm worth that, so I deserve that. Well, maybe.... lol But if those things or people don't bring you happiness, then you just end up still feeling empty. So, you have to find happiness within before you go looking elsewhere... Love yourself before you want someone to love you. theheart

I didn't always love myself, but I sure as heck wasn't going to be in a relationship like that. That's how codependency starts! So, I worked on myself (still a work in progress), got to be Happy Tara, and then I figured I'd see what the rest of life is all about. thumbsup

Jan 15th 2013 new
(Quote) Tara-916865 said: There is a "me mentality" out there... go for the best job, best ...

There is a "me mentality" out there... go for the best job, best car, best house, best spouse, etc. It's kind of like, I know I'm worth that, so I deserve that. Well, maybe.... lol But if those things or people don't bring you happiness, then you just end up still feeling empty. So, you have to find happiness within before you go looking elsewhere... Love yourself before you want someone to love you.

I didn't always love myself, but I sure as heck wasn't going to be in a relationship like that. That's how codependency starts! So, I worked on myself (still a work in progress), got to be Happy Tara, and then I figured I'd see what the rest of life is all about.

--hide--

Sounds like you have good goals... I can change me......that is the best I can do.....
Jan 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-825244 said: Additionally, in another time in another type of wondering, Ben Franklin said that he wh...
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said:

Additionally, in another time in another type of wondering, Ben Franklin said that he who sacrifices freedom for temporary safety, deserves neither freedom nor safety. It is not "safe" to love, but it embraces freedom.

--hide--
No, it isn't safe to love romantically, because we can get hurt from rejection or disappointment. We can sit behind our computers & be settling for an electronic "relationship" which may seem to satisfy for the moment. But that is an illusion, which ultimately will hurt a lot more in this "safe" mode than it will in taking some risk.

Jan 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: There is a "me mentality" out there... go for the best job, best c...

There is a "me mentality" out there... go for the best job, best car, best house, best spouse, etc. It's kind of like, I know I'm worth that, so I deserve that. Well, maybe.... lol But if those things or people don't bring you happiness, then you just end up still feeling empty. So, you have to find happiness within before you go looking elsewhere... Love yourself before you want someone to love you.

I didn't always love myself, but I sure as heck wasn't going to be in a relationship like that. That's how codependency starts! So, I worked on myself (still a work in progress), got to be Happy Tara, and then I figured I'd see what the rest of life is all about.

--hide--

Soooo true. Sometimes I think Jesus' words that we are to "Love your neighbor as yourself" are more a statement of reality than a command - that we can only love others if we truly love ourselves. Sounds like you are on the right track!

Posts 21 - 30 of 92