Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-766671 said: This reminds me of a quote from the book "Tuesdays with Morrie" and in i...
(Quote) Jessica-766671 said:

This reminds me of a quote from the book "Tuesdays with Morrie" and in it, Morrie Schwartz says this:

"Wherever I went in my life, I met people wanting to gobble up something new. Gobble up a new car. Gobble up a new piece of property. Gobble up the latest toy. And then they wanted to tell you about it. 'Guess what I got? Guess what I got?' You know how I always interpreted that? These were people so hungry for love that they were accepting substitutes. They were embracing material things and expecting a sort of hug back. But it never works. You can never substitute material things for love or for gentleness or for tenderness or for a sense of comradeship."

Ultimately, it always ends up being about love.

--hide--

LOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEE Tuesdays with Morrie! Our high schoolers read it in English. Sooooooo profound.

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: I don't think you will be depressed, Tara. I'm not! But I guess I have 10 ...
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said:

I don't think you will be depressed, Tara. I'm not! But I guess I have 10 years to go yet... But I think if we are grateful for the blessings of life now, that won't change later!

--hide--

That's the plan! :) My friend who was engaged to two other men before her husband said that you will just know when he's the one. When I've told her that I wasn't any happier with guys I've dated, she goes: Because they haven't been THE ONE! wink

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: You mean we should actually meet people in person???
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

You mean we should actually meet people in person???
--hide--

DARN IT! wide eyed I know I was doing SOMETHING wrong! faint

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Thanks, I did not feel courageous at all, in fact I wondered why I was there at first when it wa...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

Thanks, I did not feel courageous at all, in fact I wondered why I was there at first when it was clear to me most everyone who showed up were either health care or law enforcement personnel.....
--hide--

Awesome job, Brenda! Don't wonder why you were there... GOD put you there! wink Your son is so proud of you, I know. hug

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said:Kristen, I like your deep thoughts. In fact, I'm more interested in how you may answer your ques...
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said:
Kristen, I like your deep thoughts. In fact, I'm more interested in how you may answer your questions - then anything I could add.

My first thought was, I wonder if this was an existential book or a christian one. Since the focus was on the choosing of fruit rather than producing fruit - but that's beside the point. I'm glad you read it and we don't have to (since it was a downer and I read slow).

She also must not have been a farmer, because they usually pick all the fruit, not just one. She must have been a consumer not a producer.

Getting to the moral of the story, one choice eliminating other choices causing a fear of commitment.

For me, I have had fear - but not fear because one choice eliminated the other. That's a different area all together.

But I'll share my thoughts on commitment, because someone might be like me - caught unaware.

As a young adult - I had made a choice, but I was not even fully aware of the choice myself. I only vaguely knew and could verbalize something I did not quite understand myself. I would say something to this effect, I would rather take care of my Mom than take care of some strange guy.

It wasn't until my choice became ripe, 10-12 years later - that I knew this is what I chose all along and why I turned away from anything else.

And so, when my Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2001 and I quit my job at 32 yrs. old. I was probably more prepared then most to be flexible enough to meet the situation. And my life choice is right on to what I wanted all along.

So, my moral of the story is - you may have made a choice and not be fully aware of what it is.

That for some - it may not be fear, but that the choice has been so subtly made, you don't recognize what it is.

--hide--

Good questions and insights Andrea!

Not sure if you know Plath's story - perhaps your questions point out the flaws in her thinking - she saw things in a rather limited way, which is why she took her life at an early age. Not sure if that makes her an existentialist in your book, but certainly someone who did not see everything quite clearly. But I still like the image - that making a choice is important to progressing in life.

Wow, is your Mom a blessed lady to have such a dedicated daughter as you! I think many of our choices are like that - we choose without really understanding or being aware of our choice. It is clear that God has gifted you with a lot of PEACE in your choice, as you have exhibited that in the forums!

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Justin-32820 said: How do we learn to love in these situations of disappointment? I think it s...
(Quote) Justin-32820 said:

How do we learn to love in these situations of disappointment? I think it starts with understanding that a choice is not a dead end and will open up new choices either now or in the future. While some choices will be eliminationed new ones will open simply by making a choice and following though with it. Anytime we are faced with disappointment we have a choice to make, given into bitterness and blame or use it as an opportunity to grow. One is easy the other hard, but leads to more rewarding options down the road. I think with this understand we can learn to love again and in a much deeper way then we ever could before.

--hide--

I think you are so right Justin - I too have experienced this ability to love more deeply by choosing to grow through disappointments. I think that this broader view of seeing that the pool of choices is renewed with each new decision is a better way to see it than Plath's rotting fruit.

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: I think you are so right Justin - I too have experienced this ability to love more deep...
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said:

I think you are so right Justin - I too have experienced this ability to love more deeply by choosing to grow through disappointments. I think that this broader view of seeing that the pool of choices is renewed with each new decision is a better way to see it than Plath's rotting fruit.

--hide--

One more thought - though the pool of choices might be less desireable than the first offering (I am not referring to choices solely about people, but choices about lifestyle or education, or jobs too).

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Dave-146273 said: Thanks for such great thoughts.
(Quote) Dave-146273 said:

Thanks for such great thoughts.

--hide--

You are welcome! smile

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: This is a great topic Kristen. As Americans, we do live in a culture that 'wants us to buy i...
(Quote) Joseph-750000 said:

This is a great topic Kristen. As Americans, we do live in a culture that 'wants us to buy into the illusion of infinite choice' , and yes, it is an illusion. The concept of "having it all" does NOT exist, but you would never know it based on all the messages we receive from TV, social media etc..... Sadly, this illusion causes us to live in our own little fantasy world where "it's all about me". We are all guilty of this to some degree, and I believe this mindset to be the cause of many online dating frustrations that we all seem to experience.

Choosing a potential partner does cause fears of commitment and the feeling that one may have missed a "better opportunity", but again, this brings us back to "it's all about me". We must let go of this selfishness because it actually is about another person! We easily forget this important fact! When meeting someone new, I pray that God lets me "see the blessings in front of me, rather than what I wish to create" This person is not there for me to mold into what I desire. When we let go of the desire to control, but rather just let it all unfold we open ourselves to see the blessings in front of us, and to avoid the fate of the person in the book. (I know, easier said than done!)

--hide--

What a beautiful prayer Joseph! And what a beautiful way to approach a relationship - to allow the blessings to unfold in front of you.

Jan 16th 2013 new
(Quote) Tara-916865 said: Awesome job, Brenda! Don't wonder why you were there... GOD put you th...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

Awesome job, Brenda! Don't wonder why you were there... GOD put you there! Your son is so proud of you, I know.

--hide--

Thanks Tara....it actually was helpful to me to be there. Hearing the talk I was able to piece together bits that helped me know why my son was at odds with me for several months before this party. I can feel God using this to help heal my heart. And my focus will continue to be on remembering the good times I shared with Andrew and allow the other ones to fade away......
Posts 51 - 60 of 92