Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: Good questions and insights Andrea!Not sure if you know Plath's story - pe...
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said:

Good questions and insights Andrea!

Not sure if you know Plath's story - perhaps your questions point out the flaws in her thinking - she saw things in a rather limited way, which is why she took her life at an early age. Not sure if that makes her an existentialist in your book, but certainly someone who did not see everything quite clearly. But I still like the image - that making a choice is important to progressing in life.

Wow, is your Mom a blessed lady to have such a dedicated daughter as you! I think many of our choices are like that - we choose without really understanding or being aware of our choice. It is clear that God has gifted you with a lot of PEACE in your choice, as you have exhibited that in the forums!

--hide--

I wasn't familiar with her story. I did look now on Wikipedia and skimmed some of her info. I don't know if she was an existentialist or not - it just seemed the focus was on life being choices, that it doesn't matter what the choices are, just that you make them - that sounded existentialist to me. And from reading about her - it could've been true, a life devoid of God. I don't know.

I do believe looking up and saying God help me out of this hole I've dug - could be very helpful to those with depression.

I think she may have had trouble no matter her choices.

I believe what I "do" follows from what I "believe". Such that, if she didn't know what she believed and only that doing was important - that may have been her problem (unless it really was a cognitive/chemical imbalance). She may not have had a basis from which to make her choices.

However, the premise that life does contain choices is a reality for everyone, independent of their belief system. We still need to decide the path to take. And a multitude of choices do exist like in the example.

Jan 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: And sometimes we might decide to choose, only to be disappointed with our choice later on - how...
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said:

And sometimes we might decide to choose, only to be disappointed with our choice later on - how do we renew our ability to learn how to love in these situations of disappointment? Looking forward to some deep discussion!

--hide--

I think I've made some wrong choices in friendships or communication in my youth only to have to let them go.

Looking for an answer to your question, the biblical story of the prodigal son who leaves on a path he thinks is desirable, ends up deciding to surrender his path and return to his Father's home. So, I think it is in returning to our source for love, God's path? that puts us back on track again.

Jan 17th 2013 new
My Mom used to tell me you haven't missed any boat. I'm sure that's the case with many, many singles. It's just God's timing. If we stay close to him, and I recommend Our Lady, we can't lose, and our choices will be guided on the right path. Great thread!
Jan 17th 2013 new
Perhaps the very high percentage of marriages that end in divorce is from the mentality of unlimited options. If marriage is not permanent, one's options are still there even while making the vows. Interesting topic.
Jan 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Meg-920823 said: Perhaps the very high percentage of marriages that end in divorce is from the mentality of unlimited options. If mar...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said: Perhaps the very high percentage of marriages that end in divorce is from the mentality of unlimited options. If marriage is not permanent, one's options are still there even while making the vows. Interesting topic.
--hide--

We live in a disposable society. Sadly it stands whether it is a spouse or a child or whatever. I witnessed this so many times. There was a young man Andrews freshman year of college that basically flunked out the first semester. Like-able young man, his parents would not allow him back home even though he ended up bouncing from place to place begging for all that he ate. I lost count of how many college age kids I fed during my sons four years in college... I think for us to make progress we need to figure out a way to fix what is going on with families. My solution is praying for families....too simplistic I am sure.....
Jan 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: Perhaps the very high percentage of marriages that end in divorce is from the mentality of unlimited optio...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said: Perhaps the very high percentage of marriages that end in divorce is from the mentality of unlimited options. If marriage is not permanent, one's options are still there even while making the vows. Interesting topic.
--hide--

You betcha Meg! Totally agree! I think it happens that some people, rather than growing into a relationship with the one they've chosen, continue to look for something better. A painful reality.

Jan 17th 2013 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: My Mom used to tell me you haven't missed any boat. I'm sure that's the case with many, many ...
(Quote) John-746882 said: My Mom used to tell me you haven't missed any boat. I'm sure that's the case with many, many singles. It's just God's timing. If we stay close to him, and I recommend Our Lady, we can't lose, and our choices will be guided on the right path. Great thread!
--hide--

John, thanks for the hopeful words.

Jan 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: We live in a disposable society. Sadly it stands whether it is a spouse or a child or whatever. ...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

We live in a disposable society. Sadly it stands whether it is a spouse or a child or whatever. I witnessed this so many times. There was a young man Andrews freshman year of college that basically flunked out the first semester. Like-able young man, his parents would not allow him back home even though he ended up bouncing from place to place begging for all that he ate. I lost count of how many college age kids I fed during my sons four years in college... I think for us to make progress we need to figure out a way to fix what is going on with families. My solution is praying for families....too simplistic I am sure.....
--hide--

Very sad. Prayer is always an answer. Simplicity doesn't negate it's effectiveness.

Jan 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: We live in a disposable society. Sadly it stands whether it is a spouse or a child or whatever. ...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

--hide--

Prayer is actually the greatest thing you can do along with mortification. I'm sure your prayers have helped many a family! :D

Jan 17th 2013 new
(Quote) John-746882 said: My Mom used to tell me you haven't missed any boat. I'm sure that's the case with many, many singles. I...
(Quote) John-746882 said: My Mom used to tell me you haven't missed any boat. I'm sure that's the case with many, many singles. It's just God's timing. If we stay close to him, and I recommend Our Lady, we can't lose, and our choices will be guided on the right path. Great thread!
--hide--

John, will you elaborate on what your mother was saying?
Posts 61 - 70 of 92