Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Jan 17th 2013 new
Jeanette -- Yes! College reminded me SO much of homeschooling, it wasn't even funny. I felt like so many of my other peers who had been in "typical" classrooms throughout their lives didn't adjust nearly as easily. I too was in a variety of activities and groups throughout my middle school/high school years, and think I had the opportunity to experience so much more than some of my other friends did. It was great being around a variety of age groups, too! Not just my own.
Jan 17th 2013 new

I did both Seton and Our Lady of the Rosary from 2nd through the end of highschool. I think only 2 of the years was Seton, which two I can't recall.

Jan 17th 2013 new
Jennifer - I agree. I felt too that my experience was so much broader because of the flexibility of homeschooling.
Jan 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Jennifer-567618 said: I too was in a variety of activities and groups throughout my middle school/high school years, and th...
(Quote) Jennifer-567618 said: I too was in a variety of activities and groups throughout my middle school/high school years, and think I had the opportunity to experience so much more than some of my other friends did. It was great being around a variety of age groups, too! Not just my own.
--hide--

Totally agree with you there! :) Since I was homeschooled, I was able to have 4-H project meetings and ballet classes during the day. It even counted as school since it was home ec and PE.

Jan 17th 2013 new

Yes, I love their videos! Always a new one on Mondays. Thank you wave

Jan 17th 2013 new

What I always thought was funny was when during the day people would come up and ask why I wasn't in school. That was before it was popular I guess! rolling eyes

Jan 18th 2013 new

We got that question a lot, especially since there were three or four of us homeschooling at the time. We would typically asked when grocery shopping with our mom.

I would also get asked about how our work was graded quite a bit. The underlying question seemed to be "is your A equal to my A?"

Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jennifer-567618 said: Are there any other previous homeschoolers out there? :) You might have been a homeschooler if..... Y...
(Quote) Jennifer-567618 said: Are there any other previous homeschoolers out there? :) You might have been a homeschooler if..... Your stack of library books to check out were taller than the librarian
--hide--

You might have been a homeschooler if....walking the dog was part of your gym class!

laughing

I was homeschooled 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th grades. I was sent to public school as punishment for 8th grade and I had never used a locker, I got made fun of because I couldn't figure it out, and I also won every school art/trivia/history contest I entered, and every excellence award upon graduation and I got a lot of grief from classmates about it, because I was also really shy. I tried homeschooling again for 9th grade, but missed the friends I'd made so went back for the rest of high school.

I know, for a fact, that I was smarter when I entered 8th grade, than I was when I graduated high school. In college, I found a science project report I did when I was 12, about enzymatic kinetics and I didn't know what the heck I'd written! Couldn't understand it! Around the same time, I was doing my sister's algebra II and pre-calc homework for her, it was easy! When I got to Algebra II, I needed a tutor to avoid failing.

Jan 19th 2013 new
(Quote) Jeanette-848045 said: Jennifer - I was homeschooled from 3rd grade through my senior year in high school. Adjusting to college was...
(Quote) Jeanette-848045 said:

Jennifer - I was homeschooled from 3rd grade through my senior year in high school. Adjusting to college was easy. I had been independently studying for years. The "socialization" question always irked me too. I mean if they are asking about it they obviously don't think you are well-adjusted. Parents have a far larger influence on socialization than a classroom. Good gracious! I remember a a time in highschool when I was in 3 different youth groups, orchestra, a quartet, 2 choirs...

--hide--

Doesn't sound like there was much time to study!
Jan 19th 2013 new
We weren't technically home schooled, but in parent teacher meetings Mom always heard the teachers could tell we grew up in the general, country, store mom & dad owned. We were so much better with money concepts.
Posts 11 - 20 of 42