Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

01/19/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-583970 said: I know, for a fact, that I was smarter when I entered 8th grade, than I was wh...
(Quote) Mary-583970 said:

I know, for a fact, that I was smarter when I entered 8th grade, than I was when I graduated high school. In college, I found a science project report I did when I was 12, about enzymatic kinetics and I didn't know what the heck I'd written! Couldn't understand it! Around the same time, I was doing my sister's algebra II and pre-calc homework for her, it was easy! When I got to Algebra II, I needed a tutor to avoid failing.

--hide--

I think it has something to do with the fact that when we are kids we absorb information better than we do when we are adults. Math was and is, for me, one of those things where if I think about it too hard for too long I am doing myself a disservice and going to confuse myself. I have to just solve the problem.

01/19/2013 new
Just to change things up I started counting back change from highest to lowest denominations. Everytine I did the customer would recount lowest to high JUST to make sure!
01/20/2013 new
From third grade on :) I did Seton for high school and I got a new book shelf for Christmas! Now my new books aren't piled on the floor...
01/20/2013 new

Bookshelves are among my favorite gifts.

Andrea - do you remember the books you read in middle school? I am a middle school teacher and am trying to revamp the literature collection. I wih I had kept my Seton book list or had their curriculum. It is the best I have come across.

01/21/2013 new

Jeanette- I'm trying to remember and I don't know if I read anything out of the usual: Betsy-Tacy, Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables, Nancy Drew, Chronicles of Narnia... I liked to stick to series or authors because then I knew there would be another one coming soon after :) I enjoyed the Golden Goblet and Mara Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw and At the Back of the North Wind and The Princess and the Goblins by George MacDonald.All the Bethlehem books that Ignatius Press sells are really good. Hope it helps!

God Bless

theheart rosary

P.S. Thank you for asking! I like remembering things I haven't read in a while biggrin

01/21/2013 new

I was homeschooled through 12th grade. The first 6 or 7 years my mom put together her own curriculum for me... after that, it was Seton.

01/22/2013 new
Thanks, Andrea. That does help. It is amazing how many of my students have never read children's classics. Betsy Tacy and Tib! I loved those books. What my school calls middle school is 6, 7,8 grades. Looking at the books you listed I can tell that you are a kindred spirit.
01/22/2013 new
Cassandra - good to hear from you! What books did you particularly enjoy in junior high?
01/22/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-732729 said: You might be a homeschooler if...you cried when Mary Ingells died, or the first R rated movie you ...
(Quote) Mary-732729 said:

You might be a homeschooler if...you cried when Mary Ingells died, or the first R rated movie you saw was the Passion of the Christ...
I could go on!

I feel so proud to be one as well. Thanks for starting the post. People don't know what they are missing and remember, Jesus was the first famous person to be home educated

--hide--

I thought it was Mrs. Garvey and Mary's baby that died. . . when the kids started the blind school on fire with careless smoking. . . I found that episode INCREDULOUS. . . no mother, seeing or not, tasks another mother with taking her child in an emergency!!!!!! and, why didn't Mrs. Garvey throw the baby out the window to someone? Seriously? Melodramatic. . . and historically inaccurate. . . I liked LHOP but did not like that the somewhat well established middle class Ingalls were portrayed as bumpkins (the clothes Laura wore to school to teach would have been worn ONLY at home for dirty work). And the anachronistic telephones in such a rural place! My great-great grandfather was a wealthy farmer and they didn't have telephone service at home until 1895---only two miles from town lines!!!!

01/22/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-732729 said: You might be a homeschooler if...you cried when Mary Ingells died, or the first R rated movie you ...
(Quote) Mary-732729 said:

You might be a homeschooler if...you cried when Mary Ingells died, or the first R rated movie you saw was the Passion of the Christ...
I could go on!

I feel so proud to be one as well. Thanks for starting the post. People don't know what they are missing and remember, Jesus was the first famous person to be home educated

--hide--

I thought it was Mrs. Garvey and Mary's baby that died. . . when the kids started the blind school on fire with careless smoking. . . I found that episode INCREDULOUS. . . no mother, seeing or not, tasks another mother with taking her child in an emergency!!!!!! and, why didn't Mrs. Garvey throw the baby out the window to someone? Seriously? Melodramatic. . . and historically inaccurate. . . I liked LHOP but did not like that the somewhat well established middle class Ingalls were portrayed as bumpkins (the clothes Laura wore to school to teach would have been worn ONLY at home for dirty work). And the anachronistic telephones in such a rural place! My great-great grandfather was a wealthy farmer and they didn't have telephone service at home until 1895---only two miles from town lines!!!!

Posts 21 - 30 of 42